Picture books (1 Viewer)

petew89

HSC
im doing an annotated bibliography and one of my texts is "Imagine a Day" by Sarah L Thomson.

Can anyone tell me some important things to include when it comes to analysing picture books in general?

Cheers :)

rachael.mcgee

HSC
i'm just looking into the picture books idea now... i was talking to my teacher about it today, and she said that it's really important to link the images with the words -- presuming the book has words as well as pics of course.

how do the visuals portray the idea that it is an imaginative journey? How do they draw you into the journey, make you feel what the characters feel etc.? E.g. in this book i'm looking at called The Arrival by Shaun Tan, which is about the journeys of migrants, the new countries are drawn as strange and alien not only to the migrant but to us; we feel as uncomfortable as they do in these new surroundings, and we have to piece things together to come to a judgement about what the new world is like.

How do the images mirror the words? Or contrast with the words? What's the effect of it?

Sorry, don't have much apart from that stuff. Just remember; talk about what the idea of the journeys is, then what techniques they use to convey that idea, then what the effects of those techniques are...or something like that :) lol

good luck

rach

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)