pimp w202 c class or luxo barge w140 s class (1 Viewer)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Im disputing between getting an old w140 s class or a w202 c class and pimping it out. Realistically both will be similar luxury, but i find driving the w202 a little small, plus i'd only be able to get a 2 lt or maybe 2.4 lt for the price i can afford (plus it would have to be around a 97ish model). It would have less kilometres than the s class but is a lot smaller, and less features. On the other hand i could get a w140 but fuel economy will be crap, and servicing i guess will be a PITA.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'd probably do the c class like this w/o the eyelids

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p8ec2a977813033456d08d9e319498f4a/faa9cb1c.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p5d94b21a6a1f49af7ee7f72a5096703b/faa9cb16.jpg

edit; both cars will have to have fairly high kms since i only have around 25k to use.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Realistically, you'd be looking at a pretty worn out S320. The 165-odd kW engine is not enough for a car that size. The one worth getting is of-course the S500 - which even has it's own 'door closers' - the 240kW available is also more suitable. But that would be out of your price range. At the end of the day, the car will be
- Nearing the end of it's serviceable life
- Probably not in good working order
- Hardly a dynamic car even when brand new
- Giving poor fuel economy
- A real PITA to maneuvre around city
- Very expensive to maintain

The C-Class is probably a better choice in terms of sporty driving. The C240 is around 125kW, if I'm not mistaken - which is excellent in manual form, however not quite that flash in automatic. Manuals are very rare, unfortunately. These are far cheaper to maintain, however you don't get the leather, the build quality, or the class/prestige associated with the w140.

Honestly? Do not get either. For the same money, you can get yourself the best of both worlds in the form an E320. This is with the 320 engine from the S class of approximately 165kW, but with the far lighter body of the E-Class. Additionally, all of them come with leather, and with the excellent build quality as associated with the better Benzes - this is better than the C-Class on both counts. You also get the prestige. PLUS you can get them in 2-door, coupe form. Here is a 'pimped-out' E320 below.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
We used to own one of those C classes... it's really REALLY sluggish- mind you we only had the C180; but not sure which C class model you'll end up with. You gonna be goin auto or manual?

My family also used to own one of those old S classes (300SE) many years ago but it was plagued with problems- electric windows and air conditioning were the two memorable issues which plagued it. Luxury wise, provided the w202 you end up buying was not the base model ("espirit" I think?) then it'll probably be nicer than the w140. The C class didn't have any issues (to my recollection) throughout our ownership time (bought it in 1998 I think and sold it in 2002) but like I said, it was very sluggish. The interior was pretty decent though (and came with leather seats- in response to petar13's post).

So in conclusion, I'd say go for the C class.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
petar13 said:
Realistically, you'd be looking at a pretty worn out S320. The 165-odd kW engine is not enough for a car that size. The one worth getting is of-course the S500 - which even has it's own 'door closers' -
I remember the door closers on one of our S500s. It was funny 'coz you'd shut the door and go "oh shit this thing is heavy i didn't close it hard enough" and then a few seconds later, it'd do the job itself.

EDIT: Ignore my previous post about the w140- I just realised I was thinking of our old w126 300SE, in response to the w140 S500, it's a pretty nice car :) My uncle still has it parked somewhere arather... it's in pretty good shape too. Beautiful interior; but like petar13 said, a S320 might be a tad weak for that bloody heavy tank. Just to confirm we're talking about the same car- is this what it'll look like? http://jace88.atspace.org/Cars/S500/slides/S500.html

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC
fucken pimpinnnnnn in that car for sure man
all the girls ull get with that thing
european cars are the bomb

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
petar13 said:
Honestly? Do not get either. For the same money, you can get yourself the best of both worlds in the form an E320. This is with the 320 engine from the S class of approximately 165kW, but with the far lighter body of the E-Class. Additionally, all of them come with leather, and with the excellent build quality as associated with the better Benzes - this is better than the C-Class on both counts. You also get the prestige. PLUS you can get them in 2-door, coupe form. Here is a 'pimped-out' E320 below.
Btw isn't a 2-door E class... a CLK?

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Nope. The car I was talking about was the W124. The two and four door variants were discerned by a CE suffix - i.e. 300E and 300CE. The later generation W124 ('93-'95) became E320 (as per the new generation Merc name designation lineup) and 320CE. These were discerned from the first gen by a facelifted interior, exterior, and newer engine (150kW to 165kW). The one pictured is a 320CE. The CLK prefix came in later.

The sedans are W124 whilst the coupes are C124.

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Insurance is also a big factor, 3.4k vs 6.5k. I dont think power for the w140 is much of an issue for me, as i'm not really concerned about power, luxury is what i want. 165kw is adequate for the w124, however it's nothing close to sporty.

I can reduce the insurance for the w140 to 3.3k but that's with an excess of $3k Are excesses payable if i'm involved in an accident regardless of whos fault it is?

Also i can reduce the premium to $2k for the c280 (recently added this to the lineup), but with an excess of around $3k.

Last edited:

7th Sign

HSC
maby save a up a bit more cash and get a 1998 E240 ive seen these go for around 28k...

they look the goods with some new side mirrors...and dished 20s, also the f1 tints...

I know where you could possibly get the above one for around 26k cash...its only got 140 thousand on the engine ...looks in good condition aswell...

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
No offence if you like those Benzes but pre-2000 ones (I think that's roughly when they started introducing the more curvy ones) look way too boxy for my liking.

7th Sign

HSC
these ones with the new style lights are hot...the boxey lights look old fashion

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yeh, E class is more of a car for my parents. They're getting one, so it's not really something I want. I'm leaning more towards a w202 c280, and then doing it up like the first post.

I like the boxiness to some extent, they can look quite good modded, but look pretty bad stock.

7thsign, that can look good, if you do what you said, however the E class is in between, i want a luxobarge or a smaller faster car (that i can mod when im off my p's)

This could be alrite http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MERCEDES-BEN...630749006QQcategoryZ84600QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
With black tint, respray in white, 20inch dish wheels, clear lenses, HIDs and fog lights.

Last edited:

Raj2004

HSC
don't go for the S Class. You'll regret it. It's basically a limo.
Servicing is quite expensive, eg. Oil Change - Mercedes Benz of Sydney - $300.
Wiper Blades can't be changed, because you can't flip them up like on other cars, so they change the whole wiper piece.
Michelin Tyres - set of 4 are easily over $2,000
You buy Mercedes Parts, u pay Mercedes dollars.
Bottom line is, they are expensive to maintain.
Simple things like petrol are expensive, as you generally tend to use ONLY premium unleaded petrol.
The C class will be more affordable, but then again, it's a damn old looking car, inside and out. You'd best go for a new car like a Honda Accord which is cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain (minor service - $200), you'll get warranty and it's brand new, so YOU are the first owner.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha yesterday I saw a done up C-class AMG in my neighbour's driveway... made me LOL when I saw the chromies.

Raj2004

HSC
DaddyK said:
The type of car it is has nothing to do with what tyre you can put on, thats just stupid.
You've obviously never owned an S class Benz, M3, or the like.

size matters, bigger the size, the more the money. Also, the better the brand, the more the money.
It's up to him what wheel and tyre he puts on his car, but you won't have the same width and size as a Toyota Corolla.

Put 2 and 2 together.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think DaddyK meant hypothetically you can fit whatever you want and it should still be able to move; not necessarily what was practical or actually good/recommended for the car.

From experience I've felt the pain (and scraping) from putting oversized wheels to a car (eg. 19" on a e46 328i). Yet to try fitting puny wheels though to a huge car yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)