PIP - 'Japan vs western culture' open discussion (1 Viewer)

LunaEclipse

HSC
Hey everyone! For my PIP topic, I am researching to see which culture influences the most: the Japanese culture or the western culture. You know, in stuff like technology, medicine, transport and religion, to name a few. So yeah, this would technically be part of my primary research. Thanks for your time!

nurdalurt

HSC
From what I know, Japan was somewhat westernised when Britain helped them during the Japan-Russian war of 1905. They developed their technologies and things like that from Britain and that is why they won the war against Russia. So they are not completely separate from one another. I assume you want to look at it as separate institutions rather than an offspring of another?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
From what I know, Japan was somewhat westernised when Britain helped them during the Japan-Russian war of 1905. They developed their technologies and things like that from Britain and that is why they won the war against Russia. So they are not completely separate from one another. I assume you want to look at it as separate institutions rather than an offspring of another?
You're an idiot. Japanese culture has virtually no effect upon Australian society or culture.
Technology is not part of a culture. Besides which, the Japanese got their technology off the West to begin with, and have since only improved upon it. Medicine and transport, likewise.
None of these are in any way related to your topic. You are going to get 20%, just cos the markers felt sorry for you.
Try again, buddy.
My sugeestion would be to investigate the effect of the internet upon a person's personality, and how different people are online and irl. BoS is a perfect place to start for this.

laurabally

HSC
as far as i'm concerned, japanese culture has had totally minimal effect on australian culture. good luck finding proof otherwise.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
How long have you been recycling this idea for?

Time to get a new approach.
Pfft. I didn't do SaC last year. I have more than three brain cells. I had better shit to do.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Hey everyone! For my PIP topic, I am researching to see which culture influences the most: the Japanese culture or the western culture. You know, in stuff like technology, medicine, transport and religion, to name a few. So yeah, this would technically be part of my primary research. Thanks for your time!
What do you mean by "which culture influences the most"? Influences what the most? World society? Australian society? Global trends? What?

And re: religion in Japan;

The highest estimates for the amount of Buddhists and Shintoists in Japan is 84-96%, representing a large number of believers in a syncretism of both religions.[6][95] However, these estimates are based on people with an association with a temple, rather than the number of people truly following the religion.[96] Professor Robert Kisala (Nanzan University) suggests that only 30 percent of the population identify themselves as belonging to a religion.[96]

Taoism and Confucianism from China have also influenced Japanese beliefs and customs. Religion in Japan tends to be syncretic in nature, and this results in a variety of practices, such as parents and children celebrating Shinto rituals, students praying before exams, couples holding a wedding at a Christian church and funerals being held at Buddhist temples. A minority (2,595,397, or 2.04%) profess to Christianity.[97] In addition, since the mid-19th century, numerous religious sects (Shinshūkyō) have emerged in Japan, such as Tenrikyo and Aum Shinrikyo (or Aleph).

liz91

HSC
Pfft. I didn't do SaC last year. I have more than three brain cells. I had better shit to do.
Why would you post if you were just going to be disparaging about SAC? Half my class is ext 2 kids, I'd be willing to bet that tonnes of smart kids do SAC; its so relevant and interesting.

My PIP's cross-cultural is with Japan, you should email some japanese cultural studies experts and sociologists - it's really fascinating the interactions between persons/society/culture and how it differs. My PIP is about escapism though, slightly less topical :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)