PIP Questionnaire - Communication Technology (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovychacha

HSC
Hey guys,
Could you please do my PIP questionnaire for me?? The topic is "How has technology impacted on the way that we communicate over time and do different genders use communcation technology in different ways"?
Instead of circling, just bold or colour.
Also, if you want you can PM me or email to chacha194@hotmail.com
Thanks, much appreciated!!

• How old are you? Circle your answer below.
Below 15
15-25
25-35
35-45
45-55
55-65
65+
Male
Female
  • How do you commonly communicate with family and friends? (Please rank the answers in order of use, with 1 being the most use and 8 being the least use)
Letters
Face to face – visiting people etc.
Home telephone
Phone calls to mobile telephones
SMS
Email
Instant Messengers
Other – specify ___________________

• Have you corresponded with somebody over the internet who you do not know personally? e.g. Instant messenger, chat rooms, forms, myspace. (If you answer positively please state which of these you utilise)
2-5
5-10
10-15
15-25
25-30
30+
  • Do you own a mobile phone? __________________ YES/NO if yes answer question 7
  • If so, do you use it your mobile phone to:
Send SMS
Call friends/Social reasons
Keep in touch with relatives
Safety Reasons
  • If you have access to the computer, do you use it for:
Recreational purposes
Research/Homework and assignments
Gaming
Social reasons
Word processing documents
Other (Please state) ________________
  • Do you use Myspace / Bebo or any other online community / a blog / msn messenger / role playing games such as Habbo Hotel?
YES/NO Please specify_____________________________________________________

10. Do you feel that communication technologies allow people to give others a false portrayal of themselves? (I.e. Internet personalities or creating an alternate life/background) Have you experienced this?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Do you believe that technology decreases social skills? YES/NO. Explain:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Do you use a mobile telephone / internet to organise social outings?
YES/NO

13. Do you believe that technology has changed the way in which we communicate? Explain: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

14. According to stereotypes, women tend to spend more time communicating than men and form deeper social bonds. Is this true in your opinion? Why?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

15. Has technology decreased the importance which we place on face to face communication?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

16. How has new innovative communication technology impacted on your family? e.g. spending less time together, better organised.

17. Any other comments? _______________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank-you for completing this survey J

Last edited:

georgie.girl

HSC
http://community.boredofstudies.org/members/groovychacha/
'How has technology impacted on the way that we communicate over time and do different genders use communcation technology in different ways"?

Below 15
15-25
25-35
35-45
45-55
55-65
65+
Male
Female
  • How do you commonly communicate with family and friends? (Please rank the answers in order of use, with 1 being the most use and 8 being the least use)
1. Face to Face
2. Instant Messages
3. SMS
4. Email
5. Mobile Phone
6. Home Phone
7. other - ie. myspace
7. Letters

• Have you corresponded with somebody over the internet who you do not know personally? e.g. Instant messenger, chat rooms, forms, myspace. (If you answer positively please state which of these you utilise)
Yes. I have been joined into group coversations on msn with people who i did not know, but friends of mine did and now talk to them on msn.
  • On average, how many hours per week do you spend on the internet (Please Circle your answer)
1-2
2-5
5-10
10-15
15-25
25-30
30+
  • Do you own a mobile phone?
Yes
Send SMS
Safety Reasons
Recreational purposes
Gaming
Social reasons
  • Do you use Myspace / Bebo or any other online community / a blog / msn messenger / role playing games such as Habbo Hotel?
Yes. Myspace, msn

10. Do you feel that communication technologies allow people to give others a false portrayal of themselves? (I.e. Internet personalities or creating an alternate life/background) Have you experienced this?
Yes. I havent really experienced this, except for people putting display photos on msn and myspace that are not of them.

Do you believe that technology decreases social skills? YES/NO. Explain:

No. I think that social skills today include these things and that disregarding technology can leave you 'out of the loop' to some extent which could lead to you missing out on certain events. However not using technology does not automatically mean you are a social outcast.
Although i think that people ARE less likely to talk to each other face to face because there are so many other ways to communicate which require less effort.

YES/NO

13. Do you believe that technology has changed the way in which we communicate? Explain:

Yes. letters have been replaced by email. Phone calls replaced by SMS and SMS replaced by MSN. "msn talk" has crept into everyday language, eg. lol
It can allow you to be more open with someone which is ironic as the personal level is taken away.
I think we tend to communicate through text, images and sound rather than the spoken word.

14. According to stereotypes, women tend to spend more time communicating than men and form deeper social bonds. Is this true in your opinion? Why?

I think that women tend to talk more, but this doesnt neccesarily mean that that communication is more meaningful. Playing footy with friends, to use another sterotype, can be just as influential in forming bonds as sitting around chatting. I personally have deeper social bonds with my female friends

15. Has technology decreased the importance which we place on face to face communication?

Yes, it hasnt been replaced, it just isnt a neccesity

16. How has new innovative communication technology impacted on your family? e.g. spending less time together, better organised.

It probably costs more (to pay for internet access etc),

17. Any other comments?

um.... this survey takes kind of a long time to do, maybe getting a few more tick-the-box or yes-no questions would make it easier and get more responses

Thank-you for completing this survey J Good Luck!

babyd0llsasha

HSC
How old are you? Circle your answer below.
Below 15
15-25
25-35
35-45
45-55
55-65
65+
Male
Female
How do you commonly communicate with family and friends? (Please rank the answers in order of use, with 1 being the most use and 8 being the least use)
7 Letters
6 Face to face – visiting people etc.
4 Home telephone
2 Phone calls to mobile telephones
1 SMS
5 Email
3 Instant Messengers

Have you corresponded with somebody over the internet who you do not know personally? e.g. Instant messenger, chat rooms, forms, myspace. (If you answer positively please state which of these you utilise)
Messenger & BOS forum

On average, how many hours per week do you spend on the internet (Please Circle your answer)
1-2
2-5
5-10
10-15
15-25
25-30
30+
Do you own a mobile phone?YES/NO
if yes answer question 7

If so, do you use it your mobile phone to:
Send SMS
Safety Reasons

If you have access to the computer, do you use it for:
Recreational purposes

Gaming
Social reasons

Do you use Myspace / Bebo or any other online community / a blog / msn messenger / role playing games such as Habbo Hotel?
YES/NO
Please specify Msn messenger

Not necessarily false in the sense that people lie to but, more more like a limitation of who they are in reality. Yes ive experienced this loll

Do you believe that technology decreases social skills? YES/NO. Explain:
Yes as it gives people the ability to rely on technologies. Personally i cant use a library and book for research now because i know its so much easier to use the net, and ive never posted a letter in my life.

Do you use a mobile telephone / internet to organise social outings?
YES/NO

13. Do you believe that technology has changed the way in which we communicate? Explain:
Yess, rather then using a phone or writing a letter you can email someone, or reach them on msngr. Its cheaper and easier.

In my opinion, its true. Women i think need social bonds for multiple reasons and are more open to communication with others.

NO, i think unless somethings wrong with you its just as important to communicate face to face with others. It has made it easier to communicate with others by means other then face to face, however that has no effect on the importance.

Everyonee has a laptop so we always have something too doo ratherr than 'sitting down and watching a movie together'. Its easier to communicate and call eachotherrr especially in emergencies. It has helped us become abit more organised and keep in touch when were out etc. we definetly dont spend as much time together because someones either on the fone or net

17. Any other comments?
Top questionsss loveeeeee, goodluckkk!!!
:santa:

jirwin

HSC
Below 15
15-25
25-35
35-45
45-55
55-65
65+
Male
Female
Letters - 7
Face to face – visiting people etc. - 6
Home telephone - 5
Phone calls to mobile telephones - 3
SMS - 1
Email - 4
Instant Messengers - 2

Yes, Instant messenger mainly.
  • On average, how many hours per week do you spend on the internet (Please Circle your answer)
1-2
2-5
5-10
10-15
15-25
25-30
30+
Send SMS
Safety Reasons
Recreational purposes
Gaming
Social reasons
YES/NO Please specify msn

i believe that some people use these forms of communication wrongly but i have not experience this personally and i do not know of anyone that has been affected either.
No i don't. I still communicate face to face with majority of those that i also use the technology with as well.

13. Do you believe that technology has changed the way in which we communicate? Explain: Of course it has. i communicate more through technology because at most times it is just easier. also it is frequently cheaper and quicker to use technology such as the Internet.

Umm, women do tend to talk more on the telephone and such but men use the internet and that equally.

personally it hasnt for me because face to face communication allows for better bonding and relationships and also aggreement on business deals and the like. technology has just made communicating via emerging technology easier.

Less time together due to MSN but also allows us to communicate better with other family members in other states as it is cheaper.

17. Any other comments? _______________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[/quote]

w00dy.

HSC
Below 15
15-25
25-35
35-45
45-55
55-65
65+
Male
Female
7Letters
1Face to face – visiting people etc.
6Home telephone
5Phone calls to mobile telephones
3SMS
4Email
2Instant Messengers
Other – specify
Yes, but this has mainly been done through forums, myspace, and msn messenger
1-2
2-5
5-10
10-15
15-25
25-30
30+
  • Do you own a mobile phone? YES/NO if yes answer question 7
Send SMS
Safety Reasons
Recreational purposes
Gaming
Social reasons
Other (Please state)
YES/NO Please specify i mainly use, msn messenger, myspace

yes, the internet and such allows people to develop false personas in order to maintain particular relationships for one reason or another. i personally have not used one, but i have encountered some people whom have used false personas.

current technology, often allows us to increase our social skills in maintaining relationships, technology has become an essential part of our society i think without it social skills would decrease.
YES/NO

13. Do you believe that technology has changed the way in which we communicate? Explain: it has changed the way we communicate, and more importantly how we express ourselves or feelings. many people cannot often communicate effectively without technology, like the internet for example it provides a security blanket so to speak for people who have difficulty in forming and maintaining some relationships.

yes, because it is 'socially acceptable' that women are better communicators, forming deeper social bonds in comparison to men
yes, some people may become more reliant on using technology in order to maintain relationships, for example with a friend over seas. face to face communication is still essential but technology has stepped in and in a way both of these methods of communicating are on the same level.

it has meant that as a family less time is spent together, but often due to the technology other family relationships can be maintained, due to the fact that some technologies are often cost effective etc.

17. Any other comments?

ellen.louise

HSC
groovychacha said:
Hey guys,
Could you please do my PIP questionnaire for me?? The topic is "How has technology impacted on the way that we communicate over time and do different genders use communcation technology in different ways"?
Also, if you want you can PM me or email to chacha194@hotmail.com
Thanks, much appreciated!!

Below 15
15-25
25-35
35-45
45-55
55-65
65+
Male
Female
Letters
Face to face – visiting people etc.
Home telephone
Phone calls to mobile telephones
SMS
Email
Instant Messengers
Good question... what site am I on again? YES
1-2
2-5
5-10
10-15
15-25
25-30
30+
Send SMS
Safety Reasons
Recreational purposes
Gaming
Social reasons

Allows them to. I wouldn't know I haven't caught anyone doing this.
People who internet date are wankers who stay at home all day in chatrooms. So it can. It's not imperative that it does though.
YES/NO

13. Do you believe that technology has changed the way in which we communicate? YES Helluva lot faster. Does not involve face to face interaction, which means the way we communicate is totally changed. Body Language barely comes into it (although you can always hear a smile) and expression must be made solely through words. Stats say (i think: check this out...) that... i think it was over 50% of communication is made through body language. Now cut that out: method of communication obviously must be different.

Is probably true. As much as men are quite capable of deep social bonds, we spend more time talking.

YES

Yay I can spend time on the net doing stuff like this and talking to people instead of having to talk to my family...

17. Any other comments? No

:)

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
  • How old are you?
Below 15
15-25
25-35
35-45
45-55
55-65
65+
Male
Female
7 Letters
1 Face to face – visiting people etc.
5 Home telephone
4 Phone calls to mobile telephones
3 SMS
6 Email
2 Instant Messengers
yes

instant messenger, myspace, forums, chat rooms
1-2
2-5
5-10
10-15
15-25
25-30
30+
  • Do you own a mobile phone? yes
  • If so, do you use your mobile phone to:
Send SMS yes
Call friends/Social reasons yes
Keep in touch with relatives yes
Safety Reasons sometimes
Recreational purposes yes
Research/Homework and assignments yes
Gaming no
Social reasons yes
Word processing documents yes
Other (Please state) to get news
yes - msn messenger, friendster, deviantart, blog, bored of studies

yes it can allow people to manipulate their identities and I myself have done this..
Ive also experienced such cases but I don't believe it can cause much harm.
no- i don't think it decreases one's social skill. if anything I think it increases it as they are allowed to meet more people online, not just those in their immediate community.
of course.

13. Do you believe that technology has changed the way in which we communicate? Explain: yes, it has allowed us to commmunicate to people from different backgrounds more often that we could. but i think in real life were getting more stupid - ie. in terms of reading body language or facial expressions because its not something that we keep learnin or coming across to on net.

yes, in my opinion, women tend to be more into talking about those stuff.. not to say that men don't have anything to say about those topics.
no, because there are times of course that we'd get bored of just talking to people online, that's the time when we can use technology to gather people for a face to face interaction, eg. movies / parties.

better communication actually. for me, i barely get curfews now - i just gotta bring a mob. fone and my p'rents r usually ok wid it as long as i keep in contact.-mom, uses home phone to contact relatives overseas thanks to email.
17. Any other comments? nope.. i think not.

nicole21290

HSC
Below 15
15-25
25-35
35-45
45-55
55-65
65+
Male
Female
Letters6
Face to face – visiting people etc.1
Home telephone4
Phone calls to mobile telephones7
SMS2
Email3
Instant Messengers5

______No__________________________________________________________________
1-2
2-5
5-10
10-15
15-25
25-30
30+
Send SMS
Safety Reasons
Recreational purposes
Gaming
Social reasons

_Definately but, no, I haven't experienced it

decreases social skills? YES/NO. Explain:
This totally depends on the person and how much they spend time on it and how dependent they are on it for socialising.
YES/NO - I never organise anything

13. Do you believe that technology has changed the way in which we communicate? Explain: ___Yeah - people are able to keep in contact easier but it places less value on face to face communication_

_Women spend more time talking then men, definately, but I wouldn't say they form deeper social bonds just on that basis.

Yes________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

__It has only impacted our family in that my friends in Youth Group (a Christian thing) are able to make more last minute activities happen so we are out of the house more often (Yay

17. Any other comments? ___Nope____________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)