PIP Survey - Popular music videos. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliebarbeque

HSC
Hi everyone,
My name is Charlotte, I am studying Society and Culture at Hunter School of Performing Arts. For my Personal Interest Project I am researching the construction of female sexuality within popular music videos.
I was just wondering if anyone would like to assist me by filling out a survey? All information provided will remain anonymous.
Thanks guys.

Randomandy

HSC
I've taken your survey. I'd like to point out that you have a question 9 in between 7 and 8, might want to fix that. Otherwise, it was a good survey - better than mine. I'm not your average teenager, so my views may be a little different from others, but I hope it helps you in your PIP. Good luck!

Survey - The Construction of Female Sexuality in Popular Music Videos

1. Sex

Male

2. Age Group

14-17

3. Do you watch any music video programs?

Yes

4. If so, which ones?

MTV

5. Why do/why don’t you watch music video programs?
I watch them sparingly, as most contain music that is not to my tastes. However, if there is a specific video I am watching for, or if I have nothing else to do/in the mood for it, I will watch

6. In your opinion, what makes a music video appealing?
Good music, preferably original and abstaining from clichés, and an aesthetically pleasing video which isn't just the singer dancing or singing.

7(a). Do you think that a good music video can increase a songs popularity?

Yes

7(b). Why or why not?
If the video is appealing and eye-catching, preferably memorable, then it can enhance the song's popularity, but it can also impact negatively, and often the videos are sub-par.

9. Do you believe in gender equality?

Yes, unless you include chivalry, which I try to uphold.
8. When you think of female artists in popular music videos, what words or thoughts do you instantly associate with them?
Sexy, unoriginal, far too synthesised, dancing, scantily clad,

9(a). What do you feel is more important to a music video’s appeal?

Musical integrity

9(b). State reasons for your answer
I care more about the music than the video accompanying it, the video should be there to augment the sound, not draw attention away from it.

10. What do you think about women using their body to sell their music?

If artists wish to be in the music industry, they should be talented enough to rely on their voice or musical talent alone, and shouldn't need to use their body. If they use it in an expressive way, rather than using sex appeal to sell records, then it is alright.

11(a). Do you think that the ways women are represented in popular music videos are limited?

Yes

11(b). In what ways?
Women are usually either represented as synthesised/pop "superstars" who dance around provocatively and have little talent for actual singing, so they are digitally enhanced, or talented, "nice" girls who sing their songs and have less provocative/more conservative videos.

12(a). Do you agree with the ways women are represented?

No

12(b). why or why not?
I feel it doesn't provide an accurate depiction of women, and is also quite demeaning to some. Others are simply manipulating audiences using sex appeal and their bodies to achieve fame and success, rather than relying on talent.

s2indie

HSC
1. Sex
Female

2. Age Group
14-17

3. Do you watch any music video programs?
Yes

4. If so, which ones?
Rage Video Hits

Good music and something with a good story.

Yes

7(b). Why or why not?
Well, if the video clip is good, then you'd want to watch it again, and if it's bad then I'd be changing the channel whenever the songs on (if the song's bad)

Yes

8. When you think of female artists in popular music videos, what words or thoughts do you instantly associate with them?
dancey, underdressed, sometimes unnecessary

9(a). What do you feel is more important to a music video’s appeal? (please circle)
Musical integrity

Usually i judge a song through its music - lyrics etc.

Unnecessary and stupid.

11(a). Do you think that the ways women are represented in popular music videos are limited?
Yes

11(b). In what ways?
Well either they're there in the background dancing around men, or in a group dancing.

12(a). Do you agree with the ways women are represented? (please circle)
Yes

12(b). why or why not?
No. Women don't act that way.

Questions 13 – 16 are for females only

13(a). Can you relate to female artists and the visual world presented in their music videos? (please circle)
No

14(a). Do you consider any female artists as your role models?
No

16(a). Do you find the images and visual portrayals of women in Music videos: (please circle)

demeaning

16(b). State reasons for your answer
Up there somewhere

Hope this helps - my answers are pretty brief.

blond_e

HSC
1. Female

2. 18 - 24

3. yes

4. video hits

5. Because I wake up in the morning and that's all that is aired on TV during the hours of the morning.

6. Different film techniques, possibly use of artistic techniques.

7. yes because people will know a song by "that video". If it's a good video it's popularity will increase.

9. yes I do believe in gender equality.

8. Females that degrade themselves to sell their music.

10. musical integrity. This is because in the end it's not the video I'll be buying, I'll be buying the single, album, whatever.

11. Yes

ii. Possibly degrading, these videos also show the male dominance over women.

12. No. It gives males an unrealistic expectation of females and the way they are.

13. No.

14. Yes. Gwen Stefani.

15. I've copied clothing from an artist before in a video.

16. DEMEANING!

ii. It's disgusting how women are portrayed in these videos. They're basically half naked, using sex to sell their music. There's also the juxtaposition of males dominance and females subdominance. We see in these videos that females are just there for pure entertainment of men.

Hope it helps =)

PS interesting PIP topic, haven't heard of this one before. Good luck!

DirtyDancer

HSC
Survey - The Construction of Female Sexuality in Popular Music Videos

1. Sex

Female

2. Age Group (please circle)

14-17

3. Do you watch any music video programs? (Please circle)

Yes

4. If so, which ones? (Please circle)

MTV Channel V Rage Video Hits Other________

5. Why do/why don’t you watch music video programs? Cos usually there’s nothing better on TV and also I love music.

6. In your opinion, what makes a music video appealing? One that doesn’t involve girls dancing around dressed in bikini’s. One’s that actually seem to have a point.

7(a). Do you think that a good music video can increase songs popularity? (Please circle)

Yes

7(b). Why or why not? Because sometimes if the video is really bad, I tend not to like the actual song anymore.

Yes

8. When you think of female artists in popular music videos, what words or thoughts do you instantly associate with them.
The girls that dance around all the big-time rap artists, I think its degrading, and when it’s the artists themselves (e.g Jessica Simpson – These Boots Are Made For Walking) it implies that they cant sell music without selling themselves first.

9(a). What do you feel is more important to a music video’s appeal? (please circle)
Musical integrity

9(b). State reasons for your answer: I prefer to hear the song than watch the video.

I think it’s degrading, and its really not needed. They shouldn’t have to rely on their body to try and sell music if their singing is that good.

11(a). Do you think that the ways women are represented in popular music videos are limited? (please circle)

Yes

11(b). In what ways? They all look the same, they’ve usually been airbrushed and whatnot to look “perfect” when they just look fake. And 99% of them all dance around men, scantily clad and don’t seem to mind the fact that they’re being being used purely as “sex objects” and eye candy for men to ogle.

Hell no

12(b). Why or why not? It’s degrading, demeaning and sets a bad example for the younger kids.

13(a). Can you relate to female artists and the visual world presented in their music videos? (please circle)

No

14(a). Do you consider any female artists as your role models?

No, but I think artists such as Missy Higgins and Kelly Clarkson are good role models as they are some of the few who don’t feel the need to be half-naked in their video clips.

15. Have you ever participated in any of the following?

Copied dance moves from music videos: When I was younger
Worn clothing or hairstyles copied from artists in music videos: No
Bought products associated with a certain music video: No

Bought a CD because you liked the artists music video: No

16(a). Do you find the images and visual portrayals of women in Music videos: (please circle)

empowering? Or demeaning?

16(b). State reasons for your answer I think the images speaks for themselves.

anita mercury

HSC
Female
14-17
Yes
Rage Video Hits
5. Why do/why don’t you watch music video programs? [/FONT]
I mainly watch to get a visual on the songs I like. However I find it interesting to see what idealistic images are being presented from people like Britney Spears, Beyonce and Jessica Simpson compared to bands like The Darkness, The Killers and U2. I also try and count the amount of times a black rapper gropes a naked female with impossibly firm and large breasts…[/FONT]

6. In your opinion, what makes a music video appealing? [/FONT]
The song first of all, colours, message portrayed (ie: I’m bored with the depressing suicidal ones), choreography, and the use of instruments because it takes away from the “image conscious” performers

Yes
Well in some cases people will recognise the song BECAUSE of the clip, like a Kylie Minogue song. The clip can enhance the message of the song as it adds visual elements to a tune giving the responder something to relate to

Yes

8. When you think of female artists in popular music videos, what words or thoughts do you instantly associate with them? superficial, plastic, air-brushing, publishing machine, American.[/FONT]

Musical integrity[/FONT]

I mainly watch clips for the artists or song in the first place, not necessarily to take beauty tips.

10. What do you think about women using their body to sell their music? I think it is sad that you can no longer rely on your talent, but men do it as well and I suppose pop music is about advertising anyway and the song comes second.

Yes
11(b). In what ways? There aren’t too many female construction workers, taxi drivers, lawyers, doctors, nuclear physicists or painters portrayed in these clips is there? [/FONT]

No
12(b). why or why not? No because it is all false, we are all supposedly beautiful, skinny, unintelligent and can do a mean booty shake. Again, where are the nuclear physicists?!?![/FONT]

No

14(a). Do you consider any female artists as your role models?[/FONT]
Yes
14(b).Which ones? Alicia Keys because her songs are about music, the videos don’t define her music and she is incredibly talented.

15. Have you ever participated in any of the following? (please tick)[/FONT]
Copied dance moves from music videos
Worn clothing or hairstyles copied from artists in music videos _____spice girls!

16(a). Do you find the images and visual portrayals of women in Music videos: demeaning?
16(b). State reasons for your answer: Women lye all over men in bling, cry over their broken relationship or sexually maneuver their way in front of the camera suggesting sex in every sense of the word…All of which I do almost every afternoon after school of course. Wake up to reality!!!!

Last edited:

rhia

salty
HSC
1. Sex
female

18-24

3. Do you watch any music video programs? (please circle)
no

4. If so, which ones? (please circle)
n/a

5. Why do/why don’t you watch music video programs?
i find popular music really disgusting, even more so in conjunction with their nonsenical oversensationalized oversexed music videos. besides, music is for listening to, not for watching.

something creative, clever and original... have you seen that music video for the old time-filler song that used to be on SBS? fantastic. not T&A, cars, bling bling, or whatever's going for music videos these days.

yes.

7(b). Why or why not?
people seem to be very impressional, and easily appealed to through popular culture.

yes.

naked, dancing, provocative.

musical integrity.

it's a song.

aren't they resourceful. i think it's disgusting to do, but really - they can do it, they do do it, they get away with it - aren't they clever?

11(a). Do you think that the ways women are represented in popular music videos are limited? (please circle)
yes. note: popular music videos only.

11(b). In what ways?
they appear to be represented in terms of eye candy.

no, but whatever they want.

12(b). why or why not?
i don't think it's appropriate. *vague answer*

*bows out*

nitro.vo

HSC
1. Sex (please circle)

Male

14-17

3. Do you watch any music video programs? (please circle)

Yes

4. If so, which ones? (please circle)

MTV Rage

5. Why do/why don’t you watch music video programs?_

mtv: my brother will alert me if something that interests me is on

rage( the pre 6am one): isnt mainstream and they have some good bands on

Colour tone, camera angles, the band themselves

7(a). Do you think that a good music video can increase a songs popularity? (please circle)

Yes

7(b). Why or why not?

The feedback on the clip will spread and people will want to see it.

Yes

Depends who it is . Americans usually come accross as slutty. but people like missy higgins and that sorta thing..modest.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Musical integrity

Has to be good music or else i wont watch it.

f*cking pathetic

No

11(b). In what ways?

They can be more than a club slut for some guy with bling

No

12(b). why or why not?

Woman are portayed as things and not people in these videos.

Hope its ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)