PIP Survey: Socio-economic status and teenagers (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you could please fill out the survey below. My topic mainly focuses on socio-economic status and teenagers. It would be greatly appreciated... :)

so please, do help me, thanks a bunch!

• What stereotypes do you usually associate with teenagers of the higher class?
    • eg. I usually think of them as people that are...
  • What stereotypes do you usually associate with teenagers of the lower class?
    • eg. I usually think of them as people that are...
  • When you watch films/movies, do you usually take note of what social class the characters represent?
    • Always / Most of the time / Occasionally / Never
  • Do you think that movies represent people with high-socioeconomic status accurately?

[*]Do you think that movies represent people with low-socioeconomic status accurately?
    [*]
    Do you have any other comments about the media representation of either the higher or the lower class?

thanks a lot! :)

Last edited:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
  • Sex: Male
  • Ethnicity: White - Pure British ancestory.
You'd probably call me one of these higher-class people, I suppose. The main stereotype is the general 'rich-boy' persona, as most upper class people are wealthy. This more than likely winds up to be a bad thing on the part of the supposedly 'upper class' person, because with the way human nature is, they are ridiculed for being different to the pack. I've recieved this treatment since I was 8.
I generally would think that this 'lower class' involves all of the smokers, potheads and people who behave badly at my school, however this is only true for 80% of the people. This may be because they are forced into their situations by their living environments e.g. a broken home or abusive relationships or simply because of low socio-economic status. The other 20% are the people who are fairly regular and don't have behavioural problems or learning difficulties. These people may try their hardest at everything they do, but still fall short. These people may also be involved in abusive relationships etc, but they are not dragged down by their afflictions.
  • When you watch films/movies, do you usually take note of what social class the characters represent?
  • Do you think that movies represent people with high-socioeconomic status accurately?
  • Do you think that movies represent people with low-socioeconomic status accurately?
  • Do you have any other comments about the media representation of either the higher or the lower class?
The media is shit. I will say that and leave it up to you decided what you derive from it.

eyestodiefor

HSC
Hey,

Firstly just thought I'd say hey - because my topic seems fairly similar to yours and it's always useful to be in touch with someone of similar interests etc. I'll let you know what mines about and see what you think -

I'm looking at fine arts -namely the ballet - as a social barometre. In undergoing action-research I intend to go to a couple of ballets, observe atmosphere, attitudes, perceptable class and stereotypes etc etc etc. I'm using Marx's theory of class as my base. I'll then more than likely go on to look at Bourdiers adaptation of Marx's theory and other of similar status of Bourdier. I aim to have the resolution of my PIP in Actor-Network Theory. So in a short speil - my PIP will be about Socio-economic status and the part it plays in defining class in terms of how it limits access to scarce and socially desireable resources and how that in term acts a stratifier of society. What'd you think?

Any thoughs would be useful.

• Sex: female
  • Ethnicity: Australian of Spanish and Indian Heritage
    i tend to find that people of a percieved higher class will while trying to live upto their parents prescribed lifestyles rebel against the monotony that is having their lives planned for them. Although there are some who are annoyingly 'superior' in their attitudes I think most of them are as grounded as the next teenager you come accross.
    I think of people of lower SES ... It's hard because you have some kids of that status who will work their asses off to achieve and to break the recurrence of the 'poverty cycle' if you will, then you have those who give in to it - but even thats not fair as we're unaware of their circumstances.
  • Do you think that movies represent people with low-socioeconomic status accurately?
  • Do you have any other comments about the media representation of either the higher or the lower class?
    I think its really unfair for the media to dramatise the class structure of our society. I think its important to take into account however that in their idelaised protrayal of the higher class - they are actually appealing and most of the time selling a product to the lower class. Take Coca-Cola for example; the adds [likewise with Pepsi Max] sell lifestyles. Just think of their slogans - I don't watch much television but it's evident to me just through advertising that media protrays perfection in association with the upper class which it tries to assert it product promises.

If you then take into account media in terms of film and soaps etc - classes are defined - as by Marx - completely according to consumerism; who owns the means of production. Marx's theory anyone? Wasn't that disproved god knows how many years ago? Not only was it disproved - Marx himself didn't complete the theory as the world he was living in was evolving too fast for his theory to apply by the time he neared completion.

I do think it's important while studying class to look at time as a cross cultural component and consider aspects like Ancient and Neo wealth. That is the inherited/earnt wealth and how persons of those aquired wealths differ or are common.

Hope this was of some help!
    Kaitlin
    GRC Oatley Snr.
    English Adv, English Ext 1, Engilsh Ext 2, Modern History, History Ext, Society and Culture, Economics

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
wow! it sounds like you really know how to get where you're going, whilest myself on the otherhand is still trying to find out which direction i'm tackle this research from..

i like your idea of going to ballets to do action research! it sounds fun and interesting!!! ..did i mention fun? :)

i also liked the way that you narrowed it down to how access to resources can serve as a stratifier in society. by the way i advise you to look at Weber too.

and thanks for your reply on the survey, it's greatly appreciated.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
  • Sex: Male/female Female
  • Ethnicity:Caucasian, German/Irish background. Born in the USA.

What stereotypes do you usually associate with teenagers of the higher class?
Rich Snob. Which is fairly true for a lot of people in this area.

What stereotypes do you usually associate with teenagers of the lower class?
Don't really have one... I'm iffy about what really constitutes a teenager from the lower class.

When you watch films/movies, do you usually take note of what social class the characters represent?
Sometimes.

Do you think that movies represent people with high-socioeconomic status accurately?
Sometimes

Do you think that movies represent people with low-socioeconomic status accurately?
I'd be inclined to say no.

Do you have any other comments about the media representation of either the higher or the lower class?
They normally stereotype. However, to a certain extent, I can say that it's fairly true for a number of people I know.

Red-Ink-Frenzy

HSC
Sex: Female
Ethnicity: English. Born in Australia.

The automatic response when I think of other higher class teenagers is I usually think of them as people that are appearance-obsessed and who like to party in style (think Paris Hilton). Snobs.

I usually think of them as people that are either happy to sit and drink their lives away living on the dole in the future (sorry about the harshness), or people who work very hard to get where they want.

When you watch films/movies, do you usually take note of what social class the characters represent?
English buff, so yeah I guess I do most of the time.

Do you think that movies represent people with high-socioeconomic status accurately?
Occasionally. Yeah, there's going to be the rich person who is kind and charitable, and then the Paris Hilton types, who are flimsy and superficial. But in real life, rich people are still people, and if they made those people's lives into movies, they would be quite boring.

Do you think that movies represent people with low-socioeconomic status accurately?
Occasionally. Again, generalisations about socioeconomic status can be trusted to be true across the board.

Class barriers are not broken as easily in reality as in films. Also, not all rich kids are spoiled to the extent they are in Hollywood productions, and not all the lower class are as destitute as the media sometimes portrays them- generalisations are a rather terrible thing sometimes.

Last edited:

chloe--xox

HSC
  • Ethnicity: um australian? /german
um probably lyk.. rich snobs who think theyre all that and dnt giv a damn bout ne1 but themselves.... but then there r ppl of 'higher class' who r completely down to earth.. but yea.. the first thing that comes to mind is rich snobbish etc
Broken homes, bad lifestyle -which are either chosen or unchosen, lyk they were born into it. drugs/alcohol abuse.... then theres the ppl who try really hard to make it to the top but continue to struggle despite how hard they try
    • Always / Most of the time / Occasionally? / Never -sort of hard to answer, because really, wat is the correct way to potray these ppl?

[*]Do you think that movies represent people with low-socioeconomic status accurately?
    • Always / Most of the time / Occasionally? / Never - see above answer
    [*]
the media has a sort of distorted view of everything. the medias gay lol. i dont think they portray anything evn near correctly... (did that make sense?) i kno wat i mean im jus not good at explaining myself...

hope this was of sum help.. xoxo

mottowa

HSC
  • Sex: Male/female female
  • Ethnicity: German
    • eg. I usually think of them as people that are... clean, well dressed. their parents are successfull. live in nice houses. sometimes a bit superficial.
    • eg. I usually think of them as people that are... sometimes dirty [not always!!!] dont care about most things.

[*]

Johnathan.28

HSC
  • Sex: Male/female MALE
  • Ethnicity: BORN IN AUST, FILO/EURO HERITAGE
    • wealthy
    • educated, private school
    • euro-car driving
    • designer wearing
    • big house in afluent suburb
    • slightly self-centered
    • into finer things in life- ie. restaurants, hotel stays, etc
    • bad behaviour
    • smoking, drinking
    • less afluent suburb
    • dont really care about image/appearance
    • no money for things
    • bad parents/home life
    • some though are unfortunately stuck in the lower close even though they work hard and are good citizens.

[*]
I think they make it abit superficial at times. A good example is the OC. I dont think all wealthly kids have a new luxury car to drive to school in their final year. Some lower class people are portrayed really badly, when in reality they just aren't able to afford as much.

Going to a catholic school i see both upper and lower class kids mixed together. Majority though are classed as middle class. For me its easy to identify whether they are upper or lower class, i only have to look at their image and the way they conduct themselves.

randomnezz

HSC
Sex: female
Ethnicity: viet
eg. I usually think of them as people that are...snobby, in your face, self induldge though some aren't

eg. I usually think of them as people that are... quite nice and easy to get along with, hardworking though there are always problem with drugs/ smokin/alcohol/depression/crime etc and family conflicts
Always /
Occasionally
Occasionally
Do you have any other comments about the media representation of either the higher or the lower class? no comment

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
thanks you! much appreciated.

and YES PEOPLE, im still waiting for replies =)

the hsc sucks

HSC
just-a-stranger said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you could please fill out the survey below. My topic mainly focuses on socio-economic status and teenagers. It would be greatly appreciated... :)

so please, do help me, thanks a bunch!
  • Ethnicity:australian (british heritage)
    • rich, priveleged, don't have to work as hard for their money if at all,
    • snooty, think they are better than us
    • dole bludgers if they do nothing, unclean, uneducated
    • Occasionally
    • Occasionally
    • Occasionally
  • often either the negative or positve views are focussed on and not the overall view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)