Pips For 2008 (1 Viewer)

Amy-ish

HSC
To me, instead of giving a simple 'No that doesn't relate to the course', give a detailed reason why, then, maybe using the idea they have, turn it into an idea that will link and relate to the course.

Now, back to topic:
After discussing with my teacher and alot of thinking, my Pip idea is slowly moving over to te idea of Cartoons among Childern; Do they give a false impression of certain ideals to childern.

I will give more information when I get a little feedback.

EDIT: Constructive criticism welcome.

ame2530

HSC
hmmm, well i sorta have an idea of what i am going to do for my PIP, but am concerned that it is an OVERDONE topic.. or that it is too sensitive... any comments would be appreciated

"The effects of being in a psychiatric in-patient facility has on an adolescent" i dont exactly know what the cross cultural perspective would be JUST yet... still am thinking about it..

but my PIP is going to be on adolescent mental health and the effects it has on the individual and their families. also.. im not doing it on depression as a whole.. it will probably be incorperated into it... hmm, still thinking

Kimmynugent

HSC
noir. said:
Despite using the concept of family, your idea is NOT a PIP. It does NOT RELATE TO the course.
Okay. My topic DOES relate to the course concepts.Family, Authority, Power and Time. This is also a very pressing issue in society. Imagine life without our emergency services??So just who are YOU to go around telling people "That doesnt relate to the course'?If your going to give advice, then aleast make sure that its CORRECT before you stick your nose in and giva out false information.

Kimmynugent

HSC
Okay.
Well maybe you have done a PIP. Fair enough.
But realistically, you have to look at the way you respond to peoples questions.
On no grounds at all should you be telling people that They wont be getting any marks with their idea, or that it doesnt cover the course. Your answers should be informative and backed up with information that is correct and helpful. After all, thats what a forum is about right?
On a number occasions, this has been brought up in my Society class about forum ettiquette and how people are quick to dismiss other people's ideas with no grounds or helpfulness at all.
What I think you should do is elaborate on your responses a little.

N

noir.

Kimmynugent said:
Okay.
Well maybe you have done a PIP. Fair enough.
But realistically, you have to look at the way you respond to peoples questions.
On no grounds at all should you be telling people that They wont be getting any marks with their idea, or that it doesnt cover the course. Your answers should be informative and backed up with information that is correct and helpful. After all, thats what a forum is about right?
On a number occasions, this has been brought up in my Society class about forum ettiquette and how people are quick to dismiss other people's ideas with no grounds or helpfulness at all.
What I think you should do is elaborate on your responses a little.
Like I said before, an explanation about why someone's PIP topic is not suitable is not required. Evidentally, you can tell what works, and what doesn't, what's do-able, what's not. What suited, and what isn't. If someone were to say that they wanted to do a PIP on coffee, then i have every right to say "no, you won't get good marks". how the hell does the relate to society and culture?

In regards to your PIP:

Your PIP could work, but you need to see how it relates to society. I based my judgement on this: " I have come up with the idea of the way a career affects a person and their family."

One of my friends wanted to do something similar, but one of our Society and culture teachers said she wouldn't get more than a 6/30.
Often, it depends on how you execute your methodologies. The first post you made did not seem like you were relating your topic to society; it was personal, and much of your info was based solely on your family.

parnell8

HSC
in regardes to my post about the pip on cheatin i understood that i didnt have any relation to the subject but i spent some time thinkin.

i thinkin of a pip usin the concept of self and the cheatin. it makes it relate to the subject n gives it a abstract perspective but im not sure on cross cultural transmission im think maybe base it on females thoughts and have it on gender cross cultural

N

noir.

parnell8 said:
in regardes to my post about the pip on cheatin i understood that i didnt have any relation to the subject but i spent some time thinkin.

i thinkin of a pip usin the concept of self and the cheatin. it makes it relate to the subject n gives it a abstract perspective but im not sure on cross cultural transmission im think maybe base it on females thoughts and have it on gender cross cultural
If you know it has no relation to the subject then why are you even considering it?

I still don't understand what you're trying to do. There is no "abstract perspective" - it either relates to society and culture, or it doesn't.

parnell8

HSC
my original idea u said it had no relation to the subject n i agreed wit that how bout u actually read wat its says cause im sure it says "but i spent some time thinkin" which would mean im still not at the same point

my idea is to do a pip on "identity" usin the three concepts of self through people unfaithful in relationships and also wat triggers some1 to cheat as such

now this does relate to the subject as religous groups are greatly against it, n it is a serious matter in society its not sumthin thats just looked at n forgotten people are labeled from such an offence. also the concept of self is soceity n culture related directly.

in case u dont no the concept of self is how u see urself, how u would like to be seen and how others see u. it is society culture work i have covered in yr 11 basic society n culture. and abstract is because ur not gettin set points of wat is n isnt like some pips that are the same to every1 that doesnt im goin to have conflictin responses and it will be through the eyes of people who had done it, had it done to them and who have done both. i personally think it will be interestin to see wat it is that makes the majority be unfaithful and also how they see them selfs from doin it.

N

noir.

parnell8 said:
my original idea u said it had no relation to the subject n i agreed wit that how bout u actually read wat its says cause im sure it says "but i spent some time thinkin" which would mean im still not at the same point

my idea is to do a pip on "identity" usin the three concepts of self through people unfaithful in relationships and also wat triggers some1 to cheat as such

now this does relate to the subject as religous groups are greatly against it, n it is a serious matter in society its not sumthin thats just looked at n forgotten people are labeled from such an offence. also the concept of self is soceity n culture related directly.

in case u dont no the concept of self is how u see urself, how u would like to be seen and how others see u. it is society culture work i have covered in yr 11 basic society n culture. and abstract is because ur not gettin set points of wat is n isnt like some pips that are the same to every1 that doesnt im goin to have conflictin responses and it will be through the eyes of people who had done it, had it done to them and who have done both. i personally think it will be interestin to see wat it is that makes the majority be unfaithful and also how they see them selfs from doin it.
I think I'm getting what you mean now. But I still don't think a PIP that revolves around cheating in relationships will get you far. You have incorporated course concepts, and that's good, but yeh... Still not sure if that's safe... you may want to PM Survivor39 for help. :uhhuh:

Joshua.P

HSC
ok! people get a grip on yourselfs!

NIOR you did your pip, like what two years ago.... dont you think its time to move on and stop critising people about there work!. they would have consulted there teachers (who would have a higher degree on this course than you) about their ideas before comming on here to try and get some construtive critisim of people,or seeing if anyone was doing the same thing as them.. unfortuently you are not one of these "good critisim people!
dude or dudette (seeing as your to afraid to tell anyone what gender you are, but im thinking your a "dudette" as no respectable guy would have a display picture like your last one... unless they were totally up themselves, which you could be) you seriously have to get on with your life buddy and.. i dont know.. get a job?? insted of critising people, hanging around talking to kids!

cmckie

HSC
Kimmynugent said:
Okay. My topic DOES relate to the course concepts.Family, Authority, Power and Time. This is also a very pressing issue in society. Imagine life without our emergency services??So just who are YOU to go around telling people "That doesnt relate to the course'?If your going to give advice, then aleast make sure that its CORRECT before you stick your nose in and giva out false information.
Yep Kimmynugent, you are quite right in saying that your pip relates to the society course. Someone at my school researched a similar idea a few years ago and did well with it...so if thats what your inetrested in, I say go for it!

And thank you Joshua.P! Yes Noir, its great to be able to help and give feedback but go about it in a nice way. You have to be careful what you tell people they can and can't do.

I think its really important if anyone is unsure about important issues such as whether their pip relates to the syllabus etc to try and seek advice from their teachers.

:)

bradwow

HSC
I need help with my PIP (including noir of course :p)

Basically I have no idea what I want to do. I've come up with some things - Maybe someone could suggest a refined version or say what will be good or bad about my ideas. Okay here it goes:

* What happens post-schooling?
- 'Decisive Factors' - Family Influences, Gender
- 'Background' - Type of school you went to, location
- 'Opportunities' - University? Career? Unemployed?

* Teenage Love

* Effect of Music in the Micro and Macro World
^ Pulled that one out just then, probably isn't good.

The teacher likes the 'Post-schooling' one most but I'm not 100% confident so I'd really love some advice thanks :)

N

noir.

bradwow said:
I need help with my PIP (including noir of course :p)

Basically I have no idea what I want to do. I've come up with some things - Maybe someone could suggest a refined version or say what will be good or bad about my ideas. Okay here it goes:

* What happens post-schooling?
- 'Decisive Factors' - Family Influences, Gender
- 'Background' - Type of school you went to, location
- 'Opportunities' - University? Career? Unemployed?

* Teenage Love

* Effect of Music in the Micro and Macro World
^ Pulled that one out just then, probably isn't good.

The teacher likes the 'Post-schooling' one most but I'm not 100% confident so I'd really love some advice thanks :)
Haha bradwow, of course you need my input! :p

Ok firstly your idea on things that happen after school:

How does it affect society as a whole? What does it contribute to society? Imo your idea is broad, and not society and culture enough.

Same with your teenage love one - effects on society? It's too personal.

The idea you have on music is good, though, because your looking at its effects on both one's self/peers and the wider society. You may want to narrow it down and look at the role music plays in various sub-cultures, its influence, maybe even music within different ethnic groups. Definately can get you very far :uhhuh:

parnell8

HSC
noir. said:
Haha bradwow, of course you need my input! :p

Ok firstly your idea on things that happen after school:

How does it affect society as a whole? What does it contribute to society? Imo your idea is broad, and not society and culture enough.

Same with your teenage love one - effects on society? It's too personal.

The idea you have on music is good, though, because your looking at its effects on both one's self/peers and the wider society. You may want to narrow it down and look at the role music plays in various sub-cultures, its influence, maybe even music within different ethnic groups. Definately can get you very far :uhhuh:
i disagree the idea of the things that happen afta skool is great every individual in SOCIETY goes threw this. yeh maybe it may be need to be narrowed down into speceific sub culture such as uni v"s tafe or trade as such but i think he is onto a good idea if he sits down n think bout it a lil more. maybe he could relate it to authority through the people that decide ur future afta skool even. but i think if he spends couple of days really think about this it could be great.

i agree on the teenage love i dont think its a great idea unless u can relate it to a strong concpet maybe authority aswell wit parents tryin to control it maybe but i dont think its strong enough.

music its good n can be done extrodanarily well but it is one that is possibly bein done in my class so it i see it as one that could be done a bit each yr. if u do this u will need to narrow it done n make it more specific but even still u will need to make it stand out from any others that are doin music related pips if u can take a different look on it then the normal person then yeh it will be outstandin u just have to figure out wat that look is.

emzie16

HSC
hey guys

i havent reli decided on a topic for the PIP yet but im thinking of doin..

"Does the culture of sport reflect the values of the wider society?"

this wud be a good one for me cuz im a sports nut and i know i cud focus on it for an extended period of time, and also because i know a lot of people in high places in many sports.

i also wanted to do a section on women in sport.. which would be awesome because my PDHPE teacher actually plays for australia in cricket so i cud set up an interview with her or something.

anyway.. i wud luv any comments or wateva.. especially from noir cuz u seem to know wat ur talkin about and uve been thru it all before :) but constructive critizism from all would be appreciated

parnell8

HSC
emzie16 said:
hey guys

i havent reli decided on a topic for the PIP yet but im thinking of doin..

"Does the culture of sport reflect the values of the wider society?"

this wud be a good one for me cuz im a sports nut and i know i cud focus on it for an extended period of time, and also because i know a lot of people in high places in many sports.

i also wanted to do a section on women in sport.. which would be awesome because my PDHPE teacher actually plays for australia in cricket so i cud set up an interview with her or something.

anyway.. i wud luv any comments or wateva.. especially from noir cuz u seem to know wat ur talkin about and uve been thru it all before :) but constructive critizism from all would be appreciated
ummmm its a pip that could or couldnt work

the main thing u have to make sure u dont do is make it a pdhpe type of pip for sport u have to strongly link it to society n culture is ur doin sport in general thats the main thing u have to do

emzie16

HSC
parnell8 said:
ummmm its a pip that could or couldnt work

the main thing u have to make sure u dont do is make it a pdhpe type of pip for sport u have to strongly link it to society n culture is ur doin sport in general thats the main thing u have to do
Thanx for ur comment.. il make sure to keep that in mind if i choose to do this topic!

N

noir.

Haha :eek:

This could definately work imo, but I'm not really sure about leisure so i really won't have much to say :p

Maybe you could narrow "sport" down to a particular sport that is popular amongst Australians - AFL and cricket are the 2 big ones [there are others, but they're not as big as above^ ultimately it's up to you]

You mentioned that you wanted to talk about women; perhaps look into gender and changing attitudes towards females/males participating in a particular sport, and whether they're accepted or not, and so on.

parnell8 is right. if you stay focused and make sure it relates to society, then you could easily get a very good mark :uhhuh:

Joshua.P said:
ok! people get a grip on yourselfs!

NIOR you did your pip, like what two years ago.... dont you think its time to move on and stop critising people about there work!. they would have consulted there teachers (who would have a higher degree on this course than you) about their ideas before comming on here to try and get some construtive critisim of people,or seeing if anyone was doing the same thing as them.. unfortuently you are not one of these "good critisim people!
dude or dudette (seeing as your to afraid to tell anyone what gender you are, but im thinking your a "dudette" as no respectable guy would have a display picture like your last one... unless they were totally up themselves, which you could be) you seriously have to get on with your life buddy and.. i dont know.. get a job?? insted of critising people, hanging around talking to kids!
=/
Grow up. If you don't like my advice, then ignore what I say. you guys are asking for help and advice, and i'm giving it. this is an internet forum so not everything everyone says will be something you agree with or happy with! the reason why you guys who hate me oh so dearly dislike my advice is because i don't like your ideas and think they're too weak. Not my problem!

and if you think it's sad for an 07er to be lurking forums, then i suggest you have a go at people who graduated in 01 and still post here as well as the thousands of 07ers who post in this forum.

edit: and if teachers actually knew what they were doing, then i don't understand why there are still heaps of bad pips. don't believe me? have a read through other threads. you'll be asking yourself why their teachers didn't tell them that their pip is not actually a pip

Last edited by a moderator:

CHRISSY89

HSC
I did the PIP this year, and I found it so frustrating, all that editing and researching. I think whatever you do, just make sure it's a topic you can definitely stay interested in for a whole year. And start early. Very early. Especially the bibliography and the appendix. Those things are no joke.
All the best to you guys :)

ZaraKu

HSC
hey I have an idea for my PIP but not sure if it could be good.
It's something like 'How has the impact of "Americanisation" influenced Australian teenagers compared to it's influence on Argentinian teens' (I juat came back from a 3 week intensive trip to Argy which is the inspiration for this). My teacher said it could work well but I'm not sure...
Help would be appreciated please!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)