Piracy (1 Viewer)

heybraham

HSC
the big record companies work under a business model that exploits to maximise profits; they release singles then release the more profitable albums, however lacklustre in comparison to the single(s) the albums may be.

i object their business model and if internet piracy means better albums or simply 'getting the songs i want without the bullshit that tags along', count me in. however, i am not a pirate and i don't condone piracy, i simply feel the record industry (which don't aren't technically a record industry coz they produce, market AND distribute :vcross: ) have caused 'music' to become a rip-off.

Last edited:
HSC
south park - christian rock hard

makes fun of people like threadstarter :uhhuh:

and whoever said 'independent artist - should buy album' is an idiot, internet is a GREAT tool to start a person career and get their name out there.

otay

HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
internet is a GREAT tool to start a person career and get their name out there.
too right. i wouldn't have even heard about half of the shit I listen to without the net. U certainly don't find everything on triple M or video hits.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
being a music writer (and before you throw stones, its my degree major...) i'm a downloader and burner,

but

what enrages me more is that people can go "oh that gladiator soundtrack was beautiful" but won't know who it was by.

That enrages me so much....

wanton-wonton

HSC
urf said:
Does anyone else HATE music piracy? I think that if someone wants a cd they should buy it as to support the time and effort these singers/bands have put towards writing and performing these songs. (also dont bother mentioning that some singers dont write their own music, someone has to write it and whether it is the performer or not, the writer will get some part of the profits)

I feel that of you want to listen to an album, you should support the performer.

What do other people think about the topic?
I fuckin' love music piracy. Ahem.

AtticusFinch said:
the thread starter should be deported along with all his family and friends and be forced to live on an island with lars olerik
It's Ulrich.

urf said:
I agree that cds are a rip-off but I also dont think that piracy is the answer.
I think it is the answer. Do you have a better suggestion/solution? I bet not.
bazookajoe said:
Wow I bet you are. Because you're not going to change anyones opinion on the matter.
Piracy is the answer. CDs are a fuckin' rip.
Exactly, why the hell would you spend 15-30 dollars on one album when you can get it for free. Seriously, regardless of how much you love the band, buying their albums would do more harm to you than good to them.

ur_inner_child said:
being a music writer (and before you throw stones, its my degree major...) i'm a downloader and burner,

but

what enrages me more is that people can go "oh that gladiator soundtrack was beautiful" but won't know who it was by.

That enrages me so much....
Hans Zimmer...

I rock.

Last edited:

wanton-wonton

HSC
miss_gtr said:
i'll buy it if i respect the artist (like aussie artists) or its a compilation cd...or its a cheapo mix... greatest hits of bob dylan, great hits of the 89s etc..
Compilations are the biggest rip-offs.

slip

HSC
I made a post in another thread explaining how the record industry works and i cant be fucked repeating all of it.

Morally I think that if it is an australian band you should buy it as only a handful of australian bands actually make a decent wage. If its an international band do what you like.

On the other side I think cds are a rip off. The artists recieve less then a few dollars per cd, so basically for every $10 we pay the artist probably recieves less then $1 (which goes straight back to the record company to pay back the advance).

Artists get money from me like thus, I hear there music by any number of methods, if i like them i go to there concerts, I think they probably earn a greater percentage of money moved at concerts then from cd sales.

In conclusion buying cds supports record companies, going to concerts supports bands, thats how i view the situation.

On another point - very very few australian bands actually own the music they write and perform. the record company will usually own the rights to any music they produce.

urf

Just urf
Green Hell (It's like every hell...but kinda green
HSC
So what do you suggest? Regardless of how much everyone likes piracy it is not going to make the artists any money, and I dont really think that concerts are enough, especially for new bands. So what does everyone think should happen?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
i suggest...

if you're a pirate person... do most of the following?

- go to dirt cheap cd's ($10 cd's and it's surprising what you find there)
- if you find that you really like an artist, don't download all 20 past albums, go buy some of them.
- know who your music is by (especially any film music)
- go to concerts

cuz you can never really get someone who downloads music to stop downloading music....

slip

HSC
urf said:
So what do you suggest? Regardless of how much everyone likes piracy it is not going to make the artists any money, and I dont really think that concerts are enough, especially for new bands. So what does everyone think should happen?
piracy does help artists imo, if my mate goes to me oh i gotta cd the other day its really good, i might say oh burn it for me, then i listen to it, which i wouldnt have done with out piracy, then if i like it i go to concerts, buy merch including cds, thats sales they wouldnt have made if my mate didnt burn the cd in the first place.

ok im going to re-write my explaination of the music industry in simple terms for this thread cause i cant be bothered finding it.

-record companies give artists interest free loans. these loans are the artists to do with what they want, but part of it is they must pay the loan back and the loan must be used to record a set number of cds.
-as part of the deal the record company owns the rights to the music produced.
-money from the cds is split in a manner where most of the profit goes to record companies and record stores. a small percentage of money from cd sales is given to the artist, which the artist will then give back to the record company to pay off the loan.
-as for gigs, artists usually have a set fee, for example most australian bands cost around $15000, smaller bands such as something with number may only cost $3000-5000.

so most artist will make recieve alot more money from one gig, then they do from selling 1000cds, this can be used to pay the record company back quicker, and plus a larger percentage of thhe money we spend goes to the artist then the record company (remembering record companies get repayed through record sales and take alot of money straight off the top).

another fact, you are probably unaware of urf, is that despite the claims of record companies since piracy cds have actually gone up (reletive both to previous sales levels and economic growth).

Last edited:

slip

HSC
This is my prediction for the future of music in australia. remember you heard it here first.

Over the next 10-15years a smarter breed of bands will be born who will follow in the footsteps of bands like the John Butler Trio and basically become self-sufficient. They will cut the record company out of the loop. So basically these bands will look to fund the production of albums themselves, hence they will recieve both what was formerly the record companies portion of the money from sales and the money they would formerly recieve. Aside from that bands will operate fairly much as usually. This will probably mean that 1st albums wont go straight to number one, as the albums gain popularity sales will increase over time. Some bands might also look to sell songs or 'singles' straight off websites, cutting the record shops out of the process and further increasing the money they recieve.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
urf said:
I think i made a similar post to slip's one, so basically:

CD breakdown

$30
> ~$27 goes to production costs, manufacturing, media, advertising.
> ~$3 goes to the band.
Out of this $3 comes out any money which was not recouped in the making of the CD and other excesses.

Thats why bands 'sell out'. There is a contract, and why there is a need to balance sales with the hardcore fans.

Concerts on the otherhand, usually are run at a profit, because it is directly negotiated with the band, rather than the record company, the biggest profit from bands is through merchandise and ticket sales.

Now, new bands are NOT going to make a killing out of CD's, furthermore i think it would be idealistic to think that most recording companies would entitle many new bands more than that $3 of the costs.

On the other hand, there is a new band, you spread the music via a medium which is popular, just like radio and tv are, and then you arouse interest in the band.

Whilst piracy isnt 'legal' the biggest losers are the record industry, and that is why they are fighting toot-and-nail to stop it legally. Furthermore, the arrival of digital has been the biggest change to this notion. Prior to digital, recordings and bootlegs and pirates could only obtain a degrading quality of music, but with the digital format, there is no detioration from copying 1:1.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i think if u want them to do more buy the album... twice even!.. get one signed or give it to a mate :)

if they are nikki webster and ure bratty lil sister wants the album?... do as is.. pirate.. pirate.. so she will never EVER sing again :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
slip said:
This is my prediction for the future of music in australia. remember you heard it here first.

Over the next 10-15years a smarter breed of bands will be born who will follow in the footsteps of bands like the John Butler Trio and basically become self-sufficient. They will cut the record company out of the loop. So basically these bands will look to fund the production of albums themselves, hence they will recieve both what was formerly the record companies portion of the money from sales and the money they would formerly recieve. Aside from that bands will operate fairly much as usually. This will probably mean that 1st albums wont go straight to number one, as the albums gain popularity sales will increase over time. Some bands might also look to sell songs or 'singles' straight off websites, cutting the record shops out of the process and further increasing the money they recieve.
I'm interested in the new format, ala digital, of music production, because CDs are on the way out, MP3 players are in their prime, but the development of SACD and DVDA seems to appeal to the high-end markets. The source of most mp3's are from self ripped CD's, but if the current trend of pay2listen continues, and the phasing out of CDs in favour of purely digital is brought about, the music companies may be able to put a stranglehold on it again, but would lose quite a bit of profit before making it back id assume.

Its quite an interesting development, kinda like the Vinyl > CD transition, it'll be interesting to see this play through.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
It's more about the effort to get the album/single than actually paying the money. I can download a song in less than 5 minutes. To buy it I would have to drive 25 minutes, buy it, then drive another 25 minutes home.
dotn forget 30 dollars wasted maybe

Shaynie69

HSC
urf said:
Does anyone else HATE music piracy? I think that if someone wants a cd they should buy it as to support the time and effort these singers/bands have put towards writing and performing these songs. (also dont bother mentioning that some singers dont write their own music, someone has to write it and whether it is the performer or not, the writer will get some part of the profits)

I feel that of you want to listen to an album, you should support the performer.

What do other people think about the topic?

If its just one song that i want i download it, if i really love that song ill go out an buy the artists CD too many times have i brought a cd from a previous "fav" artist and its been SHIT....Ive never downloaded a full album ive taken a few burnt ones off friends but its not the same feeling when you buy the actual album. I think if they want piracy to stop they should reduce CD prices....i remember CDs used to be $20 once....but then GST came in....stupid howard.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
AsyLum said:
I think i made a similar post to slip's one, so basically:

CD breakdown

$30
> ~$27 goes to production costs, manufacturing, media, advertising.
> ~$3 goes to the band.
Out of this $3 comes out any money which was not recouped in the making of the CD and other excesses.

Thats why bands 'sell out'. There is a contract, and why there is a need to balance sales with the hardcore fans.

Concerts on the otherhand, usually are run at a profit, because it is directly negotiated with the band, rather than the record company, the biggest profit from bands is through merchandise and ticket sales.

Now, new bands are NOT going to make a killing out of CD's, furthermore i think it would be idealistic to think that most recording companies would entitle many new bands more than that $3 of the costs.

On the other hand, there is a new band, you spread the music via a medium which is popular, just like radio and tv are, and then you arouse interest in the band.

Whilst piracy isnt 'legal' the biggest losers are the record industry, and that is why they are fighting toot-and-nail to stop it legally. Furthermore, the arrival of digital has been the biggest change to this notion. Prior to digital, recordings and bootlegs and pirates could only obtain a degrading quality of music, but with the digital format, there is no detioration from copying 1:1.
how do dirt cheap cd's do it? they're $10. do they go under the theory that people would profit that way, or is it something entirely different

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)