• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Places to eat! (1 Viewer)

Lainee

HSC
Okay well, title speaks for itself. I waited in lines for 4hrs enrollment today and spent another hr wandering around outside looking for food! Where can I find nice, inexpensive food around there???

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
king street is great. theres a thai restaurant which gives you a huge dish for 6 bucks. decent food too

transcendent

HSC
N/A
it's called Newtown Thai II up city rd to kings st newtown with other newtown restaurants.
the campus food is alright. try wentworth, manning or holme depending on which is closer to your faculty.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Take something from home and use one of the Union's microwaves if necessary.

Lainee

HSC
That looks a bit geeky doesn't it Generator? I think just for the first week, I'll bring fruit and stuff. Looks normal to be munching on an apple, sitting alone and pretending to thumb through your notes - rather than sitting alone, eating rice and funny meat out of a plastic container. :p

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
That's what a lot of ppl do throughout their uni days :)

Hmm the $6 Thai place is alright, but I wouldn't say it's fantastic. Good enough for $6. There is a restaurant/bar next to one of the uni ovals near the physics building. They have got $5 steak meals on Tuesday. That one is quite nice. Beat the Thai.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Try visiting Level 4 of the Wentworth building any time from 12 to 2 one day... Though not in the majority, students with a meal from home are far from being hidden. I will admit that it does seem geeky when you are on your own, but that's why I use the microwave before or after the general lunch period :).

If you don't mind the walk, I would try somewhere along King Street for a decent yet relatively inexpensive meal. The Union's food is fine, but it isn't as cheap as you would think.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Union special at level 1 wentworth....

transcendent

HSC
N/A
$4 for a meal that changes weekly is pretty good. It also adds variety to my dull food choices.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
mannings alright but not exactly inexpensive, most ppl i know bring stuff from home after about teh first 5 weeks.....or are like me and go bug our parents in their lunch hour to buy us food...

wentworths pretty good and inexpensive..$6 is about normal for a really large meal thats pretty alright

just if you gonna have snadwhiches bring em from home unis to over priced!

rebeccaf

HSC
sushi addict

Maybe this is just 'cos I did science, with 25 hrs of class per week, but I usually ended up grabbing lunch on the way from one class to another. I very rarely had an hour off around lunch time in first year. I think thats how I became so addicted to uni sushi. Its healthy, cheap and easy to eat when you're running late for class (which feels like most of the time, because there can sometimes be a 10-15 min walk between class locations). You can also buy it pretty much everywhere on campus.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yeh manning food isn't cheap. and it also depends on who you get served by cos there's a lady who's heaps stingy with the chips
and yes king st. has lots of thai restaurant and the lunch special is great and they give you STACKS

p.s. no one cares if you look geeky

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
agreed with generator... just brin ur own food... heaps of pplz brin their own food...
and believe me, eatin at campus once or twice feels cool, but if u do it every day, u can start to wonder how come u are never savin... which is wut happened to me last yr...

uni microwave is gold... esp it's free and usable for everyone... (i once went to uts, and used microwave there... no one really cared... =p)

Lainee

HSC
LOL Ok fine, I give up. Where are the microwaves? :p

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Another suggestion would be Broadway Shops across Parramatta Road for cafes, and fast food. Though i'd rather be a 'geek' and bring my own lunch than waste my money on mediocre food.

and Lainee the microwaves are on level 2 in the cafeteria the one leading onto wentworth lawns, and on level 4.

Last edited:

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Lainee said:
LOL Ok fine, I give up. Where are the microwaves? :p
There are 2 on Wentworth level 1, 2 on level 4. Or you may be brave enough to get into the academics' common rooms and use theirs :)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i usually bring my own lunch, and eat it on a lawn somewhere. Its easier than spending half your lunchtime lining up for food, and its a bit of a waste of money too. At least if i've brought lunch i dont have to stress about having enough time to go buy some, coz lunchtimes are usually pretty busy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)