plagiarising (1 Viewer)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
You cant be flagged for plaigarising in quotes, but the examiner may be suspicious if your explanations have been seen somewhere ...
If you quote something you are not plagiarising it. Quoting is an acknowledgement that you are borrowing someone else's words. To quote something you must enclose the relevant words in quotation marks and state somewhere before or after the quote where/who it comes from. When someone plagiarises another's work they are stealing it.

Bobness, you're definately in the right on this one. Perhaps your friend won't get caught, perhaps they will. However, in the end this person is not helping themself --> at university programs such as turnitin catch plagiarisers and above HSC level any serious plagiarism is open to prosecution under intellectual property law. Far better to just learn the skills you need to write your own essay!

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
I believe the entire question of the poster has been lost in translation. The question was whether or not copying an essay, story or any other sort of work is ok, under exam conditions. This means that the person does not have notes of any kind, just merely has memorised or used his/her photographic memory and wrote an answer to a question which they memorised from a top range answer they had read.
Despite this been 'plagarism' which is not 'ok', it is acceptable to do this, because it is near impossible to copy something word for word anyway and english or other art subjects are designed to be adaptable. I spoke to my english teacher on this very issue. His response was, " of course you can." So there you have it ladies and gentlemen, you are permitted to memorise top answers and write it down (provided you get the same question.)
On a side note, plagarism is evil, there is a major assessment at my school which was worth a substantial amount (as much as my trials) and this is been presently processed. One person copied straight from the BOS assessment section :burn:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
WouldbeDoctor said:
Despite this been 'plagarism' which is not 'ok', it is acceptable to do this, because it is near impossible to copy something word for word anyway and english or other art subjects are designed to be adaptable.
you are kidding right? if it is 'plagiarism' (why must we use apostrophes, as if we don't believe in its existence like 'truth') how can this be acceptable?

because its difficult to copy out the exemplar essay then that must mean it is OK? your logic defies me up to this point, but i'd like to hear your full opinion and all before i comment :)

Monstar

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Oh my God, you people disgust me. You're just worried about being caught out and receiving zero marks. Do you not realise that when you cheat you are affecting EVERYONE ELSE???!!! You may think, "Oh, it's OK, I won't get caught, I'll get better marks-what's the harm?" while others have worked their arses off as they want to go well and a plagarised essay may get marked higher than theirs, when if you had written your own, they might have received the higher mark. It is UNFAIR- how do you not see that??!! No one has any f***ing morals these days, jeez.

um stfu and gtfo plz. hahahhahaa quit acting like a saint, everyone here knows they've done it before. So stop taking the moral highground ya hypocrite.

_BaadShah_

HSC
if im not mistaken your talking about plagiarising well using words from textbooks etc in your exams like writing an essay during exam time.

Basicly in exam conditions, you probably won't remember word for word n start making your own words up to attach your points together like i done. Basicly if you want to try using another persons work in your exams, then do it but with caution. Play around with the words..

HSC markers do mark thousands of papers..And i fought plagiarism only affected such things as assignments cause it can be proved you copied. But exam conditions, you got nothing to copy from, just your mind thinking of what points to put in.

But if assignments, well, to be safe, just using a variety of sources and notes. Cause you never know, say if u just copied few paragraphs from BoS and suddenly someone else from your year did the samething and got few paragraphs from BoS. Well then your stuffed if your caught.

Kinda happened to me. As usual last minute doing my speech for i think powerplay. BoS had some great information that i used. During speech time, a girl said her speech and she used 2 paragrpahs from my info which i bet she got from BoS aswell, but argued with different contexts. Luckily i was up a bit later and i argued on context different to hers.

cheers, ash

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
_BaadShah_ said:
And i fought plagiarism only affected such things as assignments cause it can be proved you copied. But exam conditions, you got nothing to copy from, just your mind thinking of what points to put in.
um if you can 'copy' from your mind i.e. memorise work that is not yours, i'm pretty sure that constitutes plagiarism.

please, do the maths. and the english. then all my other exams :)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i can't see whats worse than plagiarism which wouldn't land you in jail?

i mean if somebody chucked a columbine then fair enough thats hectic. but apart from that the worst thing i can think of besides plagiarism (that's prevalent too) would be bringing in your own notes into the exam somehow and cheating like that.

Legham

HSC
jeeez.. over-react a bit more next time, eh? Who gives a shit, if someone plagiarises an essay.. Sure its illegal, but so is underage drinking.. but that doesnt stop 99% of people aged 15-17 doing it..
Morals went out with the black and white TV.. get used to it..

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
brogan77 said:
1) What's the point of memorising an essay that answers a specific question which you won't get in the actual HSC exam?
2) People who plagiarise get caught out at uni, either by being caught plagiarising or by not have the required skills to succeed.
1. Because the questions are so unbelievably vague that you can write pretty much the same shit every time with a different conclusion (from the same arguments).

2. But people do uni courses by choice.

Libbster

HSC
i cannot believe some of the dumbasses in this thread! i know of several hsc markers that caught people writing out (word-for-word) exemplar essays from the year before, and they all got 0. Do u really think the markers are so stupid that they won't notice, they have all read the examplar essays millions of times before.

good luck in uni, when u plagarise to get a great mark, and instead end up w/ a black mark against ur name for the rest of ur academic career. fools

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)