Plagiarism in IP's? (1 Viewer)

Jabba the Hutt

HSC
I've just finished writing the first draft of my script for my Individual Project (performance) and it is heavily based on an excerpt from a novel.
What i've done is taken the original text, made cuts and additions, turned it into a piece of drama rather than a chapter from a book.

It is based on a small excerpt, but I've made huge amounts of changes in my editing and have also put in 2 lines from Tolkiens "The Silmarillion". This feels so much like plagiarism to me!

Obviously the editing process, the lines from Tolkien's work and the changes I made to the original text and the lines of my own invention have been extensively recorded in my logbook, and I'm in the process of e-mailing the author, but still...

What I want to know is exactly what the guidelines are in this area. What are the actual laws, and what does the board of studies say in regards to this sort of plagiarism?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

jennieTalia

HSC
I've just finished writing the first draft of my script for my Individual Project (performance) and it is heavily based on an excerpt from a novel.
What i've done is taken the original text, made cuts and additions, turned it into a piece of drama rather than a chapter from a book.

It is based on a small excerpt, but I've made huge amounts of changes in my editing and have also put in 2 lines from Tolkiens "The Silmarillion". This feels so much like plagiarism to me!

Obviously the editing process, the lines from Tolkien's work and the changes I made to the original text and the lines of my own invention have been extensively recorded in my logbook, and I'm in the process of e-mailing the author, but still...

What I want to know is exactly what the guidelines are in this area. What are the actual laws, and what does the board of studies say in regards to this sort of plagiarism?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Don't stress it. You are being marked on the PEFORMANCE not the SCRIPT. If you were scriptwriting it would be a completely different story.
If you have taken direct lines, though, it would be a good idea to make reference to them in the little synopsis part you have to glue into the back of your logbook. And if you are still worried attach a list sort of like a bibliography with it.
Seriously, people lift monologues from films in their whole and perform them all the time. You are allowed. However, do seek advice from your teacher and such to keep your mind at peace :).

ReservoirTutors

HSC
Exactly! As long as you document where you have pulled everything from, there's no problem. You are being assessed on your performance, not your script-writing skills (since you've chosen performance, not script-writing). Plagiarism is trying to 'pass off' someone else's work as your own, and your 'work' here is the performance, not the script.
Make sure you are spending time focusing on the performance aspect once you've pulled the script together - no matter how amazing the script itself is, it's up to you to embody it and convey it to the audience. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)