Plagiarism in the 2007 Paper!!! (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
From the 2007 HSC Notes From The Marking Centre for Paper 1 Section II:
(http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...f_doc/english-standard-and-advanced-notes.pdf)

"Some candidates were found to have reproduced, without acknowledgement, a substantial amount of sourced work, borrowing storyline, structure and/or language. These responses were regarded as limited in their appropriateness and received marks only for the parts of the response that were original. Candidates are reminded that responses must satisfy the requirements of the BOS ‘All Your Own Work’ policy."

Ouch!

Bottom line...don't plagiarise!!!!!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I wonder if my original yet ridiculous and ludicrous response is worthy of better marks than a plaigarised response.
Either way I'm happy with my HSC mark for English Standard.

SEAKING

HSC
N/A
holy shit. does this also apply to definitions/information? for subjects like biology and ancient history?
i usually just memorise chunks of paragraphs/definitions straight from the books and write them down word for word. my teachers have been fine with it.

how the fuck are you supposed to answer quesitons?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Lol.

Like it wasn't obvious already.
Actually, I think this is the first time the issue was ever mentioned in the HSC Notes From The Marking Centre for Paper 1....perhaps it was more prevalent in 2007?
SEAKING said:
holy shit. does this also apply to definitions/information? for subjects like biology and ancient history?
i usually just memorise chunks of paragraphs/definitions straight from the books and write them down word for word. my teachers have been fine with it.

how the fuck are you supposed to answer quesitons?
The comments are on Section II of Paper 1, the creative writing section. Apparently, some responses had inserted parts from well-known storylines without acknowledgement.
As for subjects such as Biology and Ancient History, I don't think it's that big of an issue, because usually memorised respsonses from textbooks often do not answer the given question anyway...

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Wow, thats a big move for the Board of Studies!!! But I totally dissagree with it! Plagaism should not apply to examinaitons. The Board of Studies needs to produce policies and clearer information on what they do not allow in the exam. This is rediculous. I am going to write to the Board, untill they answer my questions....

This will impact how students answer questions for many years to come in all examinations. The ramifications of this statement are endless.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
You think people should be allowed to plagiarise in the HSC Exams?

Hah! Take that attitude into uni and see how far you get.
There is only a limited number of ways to answer a 2 mark question. Chances are that more than two people will have the same bloody answer, but you are not going to say that those two people plagarised.

Even for 7 mark questions, if the BOS want's to ask questions that are so predictable that people can memorise a slab of text from a text book, then students should not be punished for that!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
me121 said:
There is only a limited number of ways to answer a 2 mark question. Chances are that more than two people will have the same bloody answer, but you are not going to say that those two people plagarised.

Even for 7 mark questions, if the BOS want's to ask questions that are so predictable that people can memorise a slab of text from a text book, then students should not be punished for that!
I think you're misunderstanding the situation. This has nothing to do with 7 mark questions in Chemistry or Mathematics in which there are often cases of like answers due to their factual basis and objectivity. I don't think the BOS has any big issues with that. They still accept memorised responses in textbooks for science and maths subjects etc but these days, such a thing would often fail to answer many questions effectively anyway.

We are talking SPECIFICALLY about writing "creative" and "imaginative" responses in English. It is about the creative writing section for English Paper 1 where the question is very open-ended, subjective responses are expected and there is room for a wide variety of responses (unlike science and maths subjects). There are no facts that are being asked to be reproduced here.

Students are expected to compose an extended response to a stimulus in the context of the Area of Study. What is being addressed here is that some students explicitly reproduced parts of published stories and passed it off as their own in the exam.

I don't think it is the issue of two or more students having like responses, but it is more about the issue of individual students taking extracts from copyrighted material without acknowledgement. This is considered academic misconduct because students are expected to compose their own original response from scratch to the question. Students who reproduce extracts from well-known storylines make a mockery of those who actually went through the trouble of producing their own.

bassistx

HSC
Trebla said:
Actually, I think this is the first time the issue was ever mentioned in the HSC Notes From The Marking Centre for Paper 1....
That doesn't mean that people haven't been cheating for years.

Come on, we've all cheated. Or know someone who cheated. There's guilt. And then there are the good grades. And then it's all happy-happy.
Nobody gets hurt :)

So long as you don't get caught, who gives a crap? You could study your ass off, or risk it and memorize chunks then regurgitate them. It's the same.
If you consider the panic, pressure, and anxiety the regurgitater is going through (of getting caught), it's not any different to the one who wasted their time studying in their own words. Except he's calm, cool, and collected.
So I give merit to them both. But more to the regurgitater, I reckon. Because he knows the HSC isn't the end of the world and doesn't bother to understand crap that won't help after the HSC.

This doesn't mean I'm going to cheat my HSC, nor do I encourage it.
But if you want to, go ahead. Let me know how it feels :)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Trebla said:
I think you're misunderstanding the situation. This has nothing to do with 7 mark questions in Chemistry or Mathematics in which there are often cases of like answers due to their factual basis and objectivity. I don't think the BOS has any big issues with that. They still accept memorised responses in textbooks for science and maths subjects etc but these days, such a thing would often fail to answer many questions effectively anyway.

We are talking SPECIFICALLY about writing "creative" and "imaginative" responses in English. It is about the creative writing section for English Paper 1 where the question is very open-ended, subjective responses are expected and there is room for a wide variety of responses (unlike science and maths subjects). There are no facts that are being asked to be reproduced here.

Students are expected to compose an extended response to a stimulus in the context of the Area of Study. What is being addressed here is that some students explicitly reproduced parts of published stories and passed it off as their own in the exam.

I don't think it is the issue of two or more students having like responses, but it is more about the issue of individual students taking extracts from copyrighted material without acknowledgement. This is considered academic misconduct because students are expected to compose their own original response from scratch to the question. Students who reproduce extracts from well-known storylines make a mockery of those who actually went through the trouble of producing their own.
Trebla, I know that this was in the English comments for a specific question, however I still believe that the same rule should apply to all examinations conducted by the Board of Studies, as all the examinations are subject to the same policy document, and no where in this policy document that I cannot seem to locate does it specifically mention this issue, which I think is appalling. I'm sorry if my philosophy is incorrect as I am not a legal studies competent person.

So does it make is right if people take others works and state/acknowledge the original owner/author of the work?

EDIT: I have since found this document that I was unable to find, Rules and Procedures for 2007 Higher School Certificate Candidates, on page 8.

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Hah! Take that attitude into uni and see how far you get.
Are you sure you got your fact's right. It is to my knowledge that in University examinations you can plagiarise all you want...? Its permitted for examinations, right?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
me121 said:
Are you sure you got your fact's right. It is to my knowledge that in University examinations you can plagiarise all you want...? Its permitted for examinations, right?
You go to UNSW right?
http://www.lc.unsw.edu.au/plagiarism/pintro.html
From: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/atoz/Plagiarism.html
"If a student is found guilty of academic misconduct, they can be excluded from the University for two years. Depending on the circumstances, the period of exclusion may be different and range from one session to permanent exclusion."

Plagiarism in exams/assignments or whatever is considered academic misconduct and you will face serious consequences if you undertake such conduct.

Also from page 15 of: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/schoolcertificate/pdf_doc/studying-for-hsc-2007.pdf

"All work presented in an assessment task must be your own, whether it is an examination or an assignment. Malpractice (cheating) or plagiarism (claiming someone else’s ideas or work as your own) could lead to your receiving zero marks for the task. Detailed information about your rights and responsibilities in HSC assessment can be obtained from the brochure HSC Assessments and Submitted Works – Advice to Students on the Board’s website at www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/hsc_assess_advice_student.pdf"

Last edited:

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Trebla said:
You go to UNSW right?
http://www.lc.unsw.edu.au/plagiarism/pintro.html
From: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/atoz/Plagiarism.html
"If a student is found guilty of academic misconduct, they can be excluded from the University for two years. Depending on the circumstances, the period of exclusion may be different and range from one session to permanent exclusion."

Plagiarism in exams/assignments or whatever is considered academic misconduct and you will face serious consequences if you undertake such conduct.

Also from page 15 of: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/schoolcertificate/pdf_doc/studying-for-hsc-2007.pdf

"All work presented in an assessment task must be your own, whether it is an examination or an assignment. Malpractice (cheating) or plagiarism (claiming someone else’s ideas or work as your own) could lead to your receiving zero marks for the task. Detailed information about your rights and responsibilities in HSC assessment can be obtained from the brochure HSC Assessments and Submitted Works – Advice to Students on the Board’s website at <A href="http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/hsc_assess_advice_student.pdf"[/quote">www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/hsc_assess_advice_student.pdf"
for minor assessments, they are not that harsh, but if its a final examination...you bet they are strict and prosecute to the full extent of the law.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Am I the only person who thinks that this is ridiculous and that there is nothing wrong with plagiarising in an exam? An exam tests if you know the knowledge/skills. If you just plagiarise and you do in fact know the work and you should not be punished just because someone else has written those exact same sentences before. I don't see why everyone things plagiarism in an exam situation is bad? If you copy from a text book, that doesn't mean you know any less that someone who writes slightly different than what someone else has written.

For example if the HSC question asks a syllabus dot point as the question, you should be free to just write down exactly what the dot point book says for that dot point.

EDIT: "If you just plagiarise and you do in fact...". Original: "If you just plagiarise then you do in fact..." Reason for change: typo

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
me121 said:
Am I the only person who thinks that this is ridiculous and that there is nothing wrong with plagiarising in an exam? An exam tests if you know the knowledge/skills. If you just plagiarise then you do in fact know the work and you should not be punished just because someone else has written those exact same sentences before. I don't see why everyone things plagiarism in an exam situation is bad? If you copy from a text book, that doesn't mean you know any less that someone who writes slightly different than what someone else has written.

For example if the HSC question asks a syllabus dot point as the question, you should be free to just write down exactly what the dot point book says for that dot point.
Wow.

And you're a mod.

How fucking clueless do you want to be.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Let me be a little more eloquent.

In an exam your knowledge of a certain subject is tested. Regurgitating what you learnt from a textbook is not your knowledge, it is someone else's. All it does is demonstrate that you are able to memorise.

Now does that make sense?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
wow what a quick reply. well.. i totally disagree with memorising slab's of text and regurgitating it in the exam. but i feel the onus in on the examiner to not ask questions that allow this. and unfortunately many questions in the HSC do allow this.

Also just because you regurgitate what someone else said does not mean you don't understand it, their way of putting it may just be the best way of answering the question. So what are you going to do? You will answer the question in the best possible way but regurgitating what someone else has said on the topic.

As I said, ideal exams don't ask questions that allow this.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Azamakumar said:
And she's expressing hers?

Great argument dickwad.
I didn't see the below opinion which was more detailed instead of cussing; the one I quoted. Stfu azama fhken random wannabe gangster. Gtfo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)