Plagiarism (1 Viewer)

taeyang

HSC
Can we get a thread going (cause I haven't seen one) that alerts everyone to the consequences/benefits of plagiarising?

I think it would be best to answer questions like:

- How easy is it to get away with it?
- How aware are the markers of online resources?
- What classifies as plagiarism?
- What are the moral and ethical issues on yourself?
- Does it really matter if you do or you don't?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
- How easy is it to get away with it?
Not very easy.

- How aware are the markers of online resources?
Very. My English teachers patrol(led) BoS. I remember when I was in Year 12, my teacher told me that she saw one of my essays on BoS. And yeah, when I uploaded my Year 12 essays, I got an email from her saying that a few kids from the grade below had been using it.

So yeah, VERY aware.

- What classifies as plagiarism?
This is by no means an exhaustive list:
- copying word for word, chunks and chunks
- copying word for word, a sentence
- copying word for word, a key phrase (you're likely to get away with this, but seriously, just quote it, it's not difficult)
- paraphrasing chunks and chunks (or sentences) (or key phrases)
- using synonyms in place of certain words for (chunks and chunks, sentences and key phrases.

There are heaps more - but as I said, by no means an exhaustive list.
- What are the moral and ethical issues on yourself?
Varies from person to person. You know what you did. If you believe in karma.....what goes up, must come down.

- Does it really matter if you do or you don't?
Varies from person to person. I'm not going to lose any sleep if you (or anyone, for that matter) plagiarise. I will say this though: DO NOT CHEAT. IT IS NOT WORTH IT. But yeah - don't expect me (or anyone else) to sympathise with you when you've lost all the marks in a 35% essay or something.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you use material or ideas that are not your own you have to acknowledge the source by referencing it. If you do not, that is plagiarism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)