plagiarism (1 Viewer)

bladenia

HSC
N/A
is this an important matter wen the markers go through? if they read things that arent quoted but definitely copied can they give u zero?

what if they read two essays written by students that are almost exactly the same?//?

santaslayer

HSC
There is probably no such thing as plagarism in exams. If, however, the markers can somehow (?) find two responses which are exactly the same, then you will probably be asked to explain yourself. There is a very low chance that that would happen in the HSC exam. :p

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
My english teacher said that if the marker know that that the student has just taken their points from a study guide or something, then they will still give you credit for trying to memorise something. (that doesn't mean copy the thing word for word, just taking all the ideas).
If you have trouble quoting, then just paraphrase it, doesn't look as good but gives the idea.
E.g. In Brave new world when the savage explains to mustapha mond that he wants pain, sin etc.

But i was talking to a mate the other day about if two students have identical essays, and he said that they have people to read over them to check for it.
So just stick to copying the ideas, but not the whole essay.

malkin86

HSC
In the exam, even IF you had identical essays before the exam, people forget, people add things in as they go, so they wouldn't be identical at the end.

bladenia

HSC
N/A
alrite then, thanks, i hope nothin bad would happen, since i have similiar essays to some of my friends since we collaborated......

and is it true one school gets all its essays marked in one pile?

santaslayer

HSC
My business studies teacher said that the markers mark random papers from all schools so the chances of getting the same exam responses is quite willy nilly....:p

bladenia

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
My business studies teacher said that the markers mark random papers from all schools so the chances of getting the same exam responses is quite willy nilly....:p
damn........
my english tutor reckons they mark it as a group....

does any1 have any realiable info???

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah, they are marked as group. I heard this from a HSC marking supervisor so yeah, it's pretty reliable.

snot

iv'e read the marking guidlines from the marking centre that states that it is called low level recall and they award high marks for it. though if it is thought to have been copied and still has all the info needed you wont get 100% but more like 95%.

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
Even if they do think that two essays are the same, i think it would be too hard to do anyhting because the people could just always say that they studied together or something..
But its better to stay on the safe side.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
in english, before anyting is marked, senior markers sit down and read every single paper to get an idea of what sort of responses and answers to questions they are getting. then, when marked, markers sit in groups at tables of 8-10 and each person marks a bundle of 20 essays/questions from the one centre, then they are taken away and someone else marks them 1 1/2 to 2 weeks later. if 2 people plagarised the same essay, there isn't a great chance that the one person would mark the two of them - unless they were from the same centre. in that case, there is a fairly high chance that both would be marked by the same person - many schools have only 1 adv anglish class, so all their papers would be in the same bundle.
im not sure what would happen if they did though - they might produce both and tell the senior marker what's happened, but i highly doubt anything would come of it. anyway, theres basically no chance that the essay u learnt would be for the exact question they asked, so ud have 2 modify it, so they wouldnt end up being the same anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)