Plank and Einstein's differing view....A plea for help (1 Viewer)

mozzie

HSC
Ok all the info i have on Plank and einsteins's differing views on the role of science seems slightly contradictory. i realise that Einstein was fiercely political and so forth but the info i have on plank suggests that though he was generally removed from politics he was not a-political either. One set of notes even say that he approached Hitle abt the unjustness of his racist policies...and he did sight that manifesto....so doesnt that imply that both einstein and Plank were involved in political realms only to varying degrees. Plank chose to conform where as Einstein did not????

Need help...now!

ontherun

HSC
wait a bit hopefully ill post up a detailed answer from success one

its pretty good mate!

boz

CEO
HSC
although there was no direct debate between Einstien and Plank on this issu, it seems that Plank and Einstien took different veiws about science and politics. During the nazi era in germany, plank stayed on and directed the kaiser Wilhelm institute, while Einstien and others left (otherwise known as filthy deserters). Considering the actions that each scientist took provides an insight into the political motives and values of each individual.

Doesnt realy say anything, but im going to say it anyway.

Then Eienstien made bombs that killed thousands of innocents, maybe he liked jews (wasnt he a jew himself?) but disliked the Japs. Another case study could be evaluated called:

"Einstein, the greatest mind to ever live, or a filthy rascist KKK member".

Bit off the point and some facts distorted or plainly fictional but interesting none the less.

Last edited:

1800-gumby

HSC
k you've got it kinda wrong.

Einstien was agaisnt the war he signed a thing against hitler invading belgum. Plank was the oposite he was a german patriot and signed a partion supporting germans ivasion of belgum and stayed and worked at the keiser institute when einstien left the country.

corro

HSC
wtf does this have to do with physics, this shit aint gonna be in the test.

Q12. "What did Einstein want to do with jews?"
a. eat them
b. kill them
c. blow them up
d. who gives a flying fuck

HSC
N/A
i think the answer is d. but i'm not sure, will have to go and check that in my text book.

boz

CEO
HSC
e) make them run until they approach the speed of light so that they get realy heavy and slow and small, turning into infinate amounts of energy so that he could run his car off them.
f) burn them to make "black bodies"........

Last edited:

wind

HSC
This thread's gonna make everyone fail if it comes up tomorrow :p

Planck - believed that anything scientifically developed became the property of the state; there were no moral issues involved.

Einstein - strongly against the integration of science and politics. Believed that science should serve and benefit humankind.

And you just develop it from there to get yourself a 6/6 :D Maybe chuck in some stuff about ducks and black bodies!

nickw...

HSC
N/A
Belgium? You mean poland? Belgium was part of shleiffen plan in WW1.

tennille

HSC
so what the hell is it? did planck believe science should be removed from social and political forces or not? Everyone has different answers!!!!

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
yea, this is tough one.

just say that planck believed that science research is conducted for the better of the society(since he worked under german government and supported the war) and einstein believed in pure science, that it should be removed from social and political influences(then u will have contracdicting facts about him atom bombs, but dont mention that in your answer)

HSC
N/A
i'm backing wind's anwser to be right. Hope it wins me more money then the stupid melborn cup.

tennille

HSC
well thats my point. The problem here is that I want to get the right one, as most people would like.

nit

HSC
This is a dodgy dot point as I see it. Planck and Einstein had some similar views on the whole social/political impact on science thing - they both believed that science ought to be pursued in and of itself, as opposed to Ernst Mack. It's just that PLanck did some contradictory things- which he himself acknowledged and repented for- eg the Manifesto of the 93 - that makes people think he supported science in society. On the contrary, he actually feared science in the hands of militarists and dictators, though he acknowledged democtratic use of science, which I guess is in opposition to Einstein.
Apart from that, I guess you could talk about his support of the war and remaining in Germany after the rise of the Nazi Party as demonstrating his belief that science ought to be used for the good of society, or you could say that that view was taken by Einstein as a humanist.
On the other hand, you could say that the differing actions of the two scientists - one fleeing abroad, the other remaining, curbed in terms of work - was due to Planck's inability to understand what the rise of the Nazi Party actually meant in a militaristic sense.
There's a lot of ways you can go on the matter. I'd probably take the route that takes Planck as believing in an integrated science with social and political influences (hence explaining his decisions in life), though this is wrong, and opposing this to Einstein's strong belief against this.
All in all, another crappy dotpoint from BOS

helper

HSC
N/A
The right one? This is a debate or discussion that never occured.

The answer is therefore going to be one everyone argues about until it is examined.
However the general idea is what wind and others have said.
If its a longer mark question then:

1. Talk about when Einstein and Planck lived.
2. Talk about the political and social influences of the time.
3. Talk about the different actions Planck and Einstein took in reaction to these influences.

Make sure you talk about both political and social, and clearly say when your talking about each.

wind

HSC
utopia_parkway said:
i'm backing wind's anwser to be right. Hope it wins me more money then the stupid melborn cup.
Awwww :D

helper said:
<snip>
However the general idea is what wind and others have said.
<snip>
Hazaah!!! The majority wins...and that's me :p

(from one of the syllabus notes available on the resource page. Credit where it's due :))
Max Planck and Albert Einstein had been involved with each other scientifically for many years. Einstein had made use of Planck’s quanta to explain the photoelectric effect. Einstein had also been debating with Ernst Mach and his supporters over the philosophical questions of what constituted ‘knowledge’.

However, in the days of Einstein and Planck, politics had a large influence on science, as countries employed scientists to devise new weapons in warfare, and the two scientists had very differing opinions on the influence of politics in science.

Albert Einstein was strongly aligned against the integration of science and politics, as he believed that the aims of scientists would be manipulated from their true purpose by social and political forces. On the other hand, Max Planck thought that politics was integrated with science, as it gave scientists a link to society and allowed them to realise the practical needs that science could satisfy. This was an important debate, especially in times of war, as Max Planck decided to help Germany with weapons development.

Today, while science is detached from political agendas, governments often decide where most of their scientific funding is allocated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)