PLA's (1 Viewer)

Gruma

HSC
does anyone out there know the bacteria involved in the fermentation process to do with PLA's (polylactic acid)???

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
well...there seems to be a few out there..but a question involved this in my half year and i said it used to bacteria alcaligenes..i got full marks for the question
but a couple disclaimers
a) ive never heard of alcaligenes
b) i cant find info on it either
the only way i got it was word of mouth of others

jims

HSC
i think alcaligenes is used in PHB or something.

i found this one website http://www.lactic.com/triptyque.htm that says:

PLAs main building block is lactic acid whose chemical formula is a CH3-CHOH-COOH). Lactic acid is produced by fermenting pure carbon substrates (glucose, saccharose, lactose,) or impure ones (starch, molasses, lactoserum,) with micro-organisms such as bacteria of the Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, Lactococcus and Streptococcus types or certain fungi such as Rhizopus Oryzae.

that took me a lot of searching so if some1 else knew but never posted: curse u.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
i think the full name is alcaligenus eutrophus and it is used to make phb in a lab by feeding bacteria a diet rich in nutrients until large colonies form, and thn widthdrawing glucose

chunder

HSC
PHA and PHB are essentially the same thing. The difference lies in the fact that PHBs have relatively shorter chain structures thus are more useful in an industrial sense (i.e. not brittle etc...)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
THE BACTERIA INVLOVED ARE "ALICAGENES EUTROPHUS"....YOU MIGHT WANNA READ CONQUERING CHEMISTRY FOR MORE INFO...

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
no wait, sorry. it's pathways. pathways has stuff on PHA (although contexts might have it as well, knowing hte amount of stuf in that book)

chip

HSC
we didnt do fermentation except for the equation

how much should i learn?

stacey**

HSC
hey JIMS!!!!!! THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE SITE!!! i know this was all written ages ago but its helped me SOOOOOO MUCH with my assignment this year!!! your awesome!!
love stacey kate xxx

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Another 2 yr old thread >_>

You're so observative pLuvia :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)