Please explain (B Com) (1 Viewer)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
So there are two main components to a B Com, the depth and breadth component.

I don't exactly understand what is needed for the Breadth component

What are:
Free Electives
General Education courses (12 UOC)

If anyone could explain this, it would be greatly appreciated.

D94

HSC
N/A
It's all in the handbook: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3502.html

Free Electives account for 36 UOC Students are free to use these UOC to complete courses from any Faculty however they need to be mindful of the program limit on Level 1 courses (60 UOC) when making their selection.

Ways to use these Free Electives include:
  • Completing a selection of courses from one or multiple Faculties.
  • Combining these UOC with that for the ASB Elective to complete a second major from within the ASB;
  • Combining these UOC with that for General Education to count towards completing a major of 54 UOC in a modern language offered by the Faculty of Arts and Social Science. See requirements for language major. (Please note this option will entail completing an additional 6UOC above the BCom requirement).
  • Completing a minor from within the ASB (30 UOC), with the remaining UOC to be taken from any Faculty.
  • Completing a minor in a modern language (36 UOC) offered by the Faculty of Arts and Social Science.
General Education requirements account for 12 UOC (2 courses) and are to be taken outside the Australian School of Business. These courses allow you to select either courses that were developed especially for the General Education Program (beginning with GEN) or to choose 'mainstream' courses that are offered in the degree programs of other faculties. For further information about General Education Requirements please refer to the UNSW Online Handbook.

Please note that students enrolled in programs within the Australian School of Business cannot take General Education courses offered by the ASB (i.e. GENC code). These restrictions also apply to the following courses:
  • GENL2015 The World of Work
  • GENL2021 An Introduction to the Australian Legal System
  • GENL2032 Cyberspace Law 2.0
  • GENL5021 Business Law Basics
Generally, free electives are any available course from any faculty, and gen ed courses are courses outside of your faculty. There may be small restrictions, hence why reading the handbook is important.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Sorry guys but I have read the handbook. The only reason why I'm asking is because I didn't understand what was written in the handbook regarding these.

I understand the importance of reading the handbook...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So there are two main components to a B Com, the depth and breadth component.

I don't exactly understand what is needed for the Breadth component

What are:
Free Electives
General Education courses (12 UOC)

If anyone could explain this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Free Electives and Gen Eds are basically "Extra subjects".

Free electives can be anything, and for you - as you are doing a Commerce degree, a 'General Education' course is anything not Commerce.

It's so you can have "well rounded" graduates.

Free electives can be whatever you want, they arise due to major requirements and minor requirements totalling less than the length of the degree probably so you have the option to take more courses in Commerce if you want, or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)