please give me some advice and help please.. (1 Viewer)

Bigbang34

HSC
N/A
I absolutely not that good in maths and it seems that no matter how hard i work in maths, i never get the marks i should be getting. When i'm in class, i can do all the maths questions given to me and even i can do my homework without struggle but why is it that during a test, i seem to fail?, i'm just terrible during a maths TEST. My teacher say i should go and do general maths cause i got a low mark in my half yearly..... but apart of me does not want to go to general maths cause the scale is bad and affect my atar but if i go to general wouldnt be too hard.... and the other part of me want me to do 2U maths cause it better at scaling up.... I DONT REALLY KNOW, I ALL MIXED UP AND REALLY WORRIED AND SAD.... please help me i want an atar of 90+ and i am yr 11.

My subjects are:

Biology
Earth and Environmental
Adv English (might drop down cause not going that good)
2U maths
Visual Arts
IPT

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
DO NOT drop down to standard English!!!

If you're allowed to, i'd say keep working at 2u and decide whether to drop down later on in the year.

HSC
The worst thing you could do at this point of time is to drop down to standard english!! If you drop down it will rape your ATAR.

For maths, If you can do it in class you should generally do it in a test. What is your study patterns/techniques when it comes down to test time?

Also, Do you have a tutor for maths? It might benifet you a lot if you are having trouble now to get a tutor who can teach you how to approach tests in many different key areas. If you really doubt yourself in 2U it is still possible to get an ATAR over 90 doing General Maths and will ease the pressure on you when it comes down to test time. You must remember though that General Maths is still a Hard subject but obviously not as hard as 2U and Extension. Only drop if it's a last resort.

Last edited:

Bigbang34

HSC
N/A
Not yet im getting a tutor for maths soon, how should i study to receive the marks i want?? cause in the test i got 20 out of 75 which was TERRIBLE, i feel so sad and dumb! please help me, how do you study to achieve the marks you want for all your study?? and how do you like convince yourself to get right down and start studying like making it fun and enjoyable?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^I think reviewing theroy concepts is useful, then lots of past papers as they are the "harder" type questions and they mix the knowledge you apply unlike textbook qs. Stacks, stacks of past papers.

And enjoying and getting a sense of accomplishment when getting a math Q can keep you going, but personally I bribe myself to study. Do this adn tehn can watch TV show, do this and then can eat dessert etc. heh

jnney

lemon
HSC
There can be many reasons for why you didn't achieve the results you anticipated.

-Did you blank out?
-Did you not know how to do the questions/never seen them before?
-Too many silly mistakes?
-Not studying enough/cramming/rote learning/last minute preparation?

Were they a combination of any of the above or something else?

I know it's depressing when you fail. I remember I did really badly for my first physics +maths test and I was like 'omg it's the end of the world' and I think I went crying to the school counsellor (I'm so dramatic). He was a nice guy, but he really didn't help that much. What you need to realise is that now you need to identify your weaknesses and work on them. Be honest with yourself. But keep your head up, remember that hard work does pay off in the end.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)