Please have a look at my Extension 2 Major Work and Reflection Statement (1 Viewer)

wogboy23

HSC
Hi all,
Mainly for Extension 2 students, could you please have a read of my major work and reflection statement and major work and leave your thoughts. I'm trying to help a friend who is currently doing the course and your feedback would be highly valued. Also, a marking range would also be helpful in which you think my work would fall under.
Thanks everyone!

Here's my reflection statement
[FONT=&quot]Reflection Statement:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The major work I have undertaken examines the interplay of scientific and imperial romanticism in H.G. Wells’ The Time Machine (1895)and The War of the Worlds (1898). A critical study through research and independent investigation has provided an invaluable insight intoWells’ vision for humanity as depicted in his work. His insights and arguments on science and imperialism, expanded, modified and reshaped in these works continue to provide critical and contextual frameworks for a wide range of scholars in modern and post-modern literature. As a result, this study has allowed for a greater understanding of theorists’ perspectives in these texts and an appreciation for the ideas and values represented.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Progress of the composition of the Major Work and originality: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I chose my major work as I believed it would be challenging and motivating to demonstrate my interest in historical Victorian ideologies and values concerning science and imperialism. In strengthening my critical response, my extensive research and commitment has seen my major work completed. This progress has been successfully achieved through the layout of my major work, as shown for example by the subtitle, Imperialist and Scientific Romanticism—A complex form of parody? After much amending, this argument voices Wells’ scientific ideas of eugenics, time and the Romantic evocation of society’s over-reliance on technology. This is represented in combination with imperialist connotations of racial superiority and colonialism paralleling the ethical corollaries it poses for humanity. These key ideas underpinned by the recurring motif of the vestiges of humanity highlight this originality in projecting concerns for the loss of individuality. This impels Wells’ audience to look back on its society and reassess pre-conceived social and cultural values to strive for a good, stable future. Hence, the dynamic conventions of the science fiction/romance genre have allowed this originality of Wells’ complex perspective on humanity’s future.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Impact of aspects of the independent investigation (texts and individuals) on the development and structure of the Major Work:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The impact of research on key aspects of my major work is conveyed through its systematic structure in cementing Wells’ contextual frameworks and insights into science and imperialism. The impact of my research is underpinned by my representation of Wells’ revolutionary medium and critical lens of satire. Thus, this validates the extended metaphor of the vestiges of humanity in cautioning against the negative impacts of science and imperialism. This is embodied by concerns of technological expansion and Holmsten’s primary concern of the anthropocentric presumptions of man explored in both texts. The direct impact this has had on my research is sustained by the Romantic emphasis against the scientific rationalisation of nature and the Modernist principles of eugenics against racial inferiors in order to simulate “a world where the elites of the future will kill off the deceased, ill-informed or unintelligent members of the human race.” (Achenbach ref 1 pg. 123) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Significantly, it is clear the research process is paramount in deriving the vision and conclusions of H.G. Wells through the interplay of imperialist and scientific romanticism. This is concluded by the Wellsian Symbols of Demise. This subtitle portrays the egalitarian principles of physiognomy in condemning the antagonist. It also portrays the omnipotent force of the Sun as both a symbol of demise under the “absolute black skies and abominable desolation” expressed in The Time Machineand hope. In effect, Wells’ figurative language, coupled by theoretical readings of Philmus and Berger, credit Wells’ overall cynical attitude toward a stable future. This is hardened by Wells unable to reconcile the competing images and contextual concerns of science and imperialism clearly. Rather, as a consequence to this dilemma, Wells almost affirms a bleak-apocalyptic vision through the existential dread of “some black star infecting all the Skies.” (Astraea Redux 111-14) This reinforces Wells’ overall sceptical outlook on man’s progression, should these unchecked values continue.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Concept of the Major Work and links to the English course:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The lengthy creation process has allowed for an articulation of key ideas and sub-headings, adding authority to my concept of this imperialist and scientific interplay, enmeshed among conflicting Romantic and Modernist contexts. My major work in direct correlation to the science fiction genre of the Year 12 Extension 1 course is supported by the intertextual concerns of the loss of individuality and redundancy of the unique ‘human’ self. This influence is exemplified by the consolidated irony in H.G. Wells’ texts, depicted further by the Bokanovsky Process as the “major instrument of social stability,” in Brave New World (1932).The Advanced English Preliminary study of Defoe’s Robinson Crusoe (1719), has also stressed the significance of the beginnings of imperialism and nascent capitalism, adopted and extended in both H.G. Wells’ The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In essence, these transitions incisively display the structure of the major work highlighting paradigm shifts through different mediums and values. This reflects universality respective to context, as studied in the Advanced HSC course by the comparative study of Frankenstein (1831) and Blade Runner (1982). The later study of the Advanced course, has also revealed the links of my major work to the History and Memory module. This is revealed by the interlocking relationships reflected in the interplay between scientific and imperialist concerns, as in the nature of History and Memory. The scientific fear of eugenics, entwined by the imperial concern of industrialisation holistically broadens ones understanding of human experiences. In effect, this interplay adds greater emphasis to Huxley’s liberal humanism of the Utopic/Dystopic tradition, strikingly mirroring War of the Worlds.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]““Brave New World” is a fantastic parable about the dehumanisation of human beings. In the negative described in my story, man has been subordinated to his own inventions. Science, Technology, Social Organisation, these things have ceased to serve man; they have become his masters.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Reflection on the planning and processes of the Major Work and final achievement of the Major Work:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The production of my major work has seen the documentation of the core interplay of imperialism and scientific romanticism I wish to present. Reflecting on the processes achieved, despite a lengthy period of stagnant research due to time management issues I am satisfied with my critical work’s articulation of H.G. Wells’ satiric eugenic and colonial concerns in both texts. This was particularly difficult due to the interaction of these concepts explored from different angles and the perspectives of my theorists, thus gradually but effectively shaping H.G. Wells’ complex vision for the future. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In order to crystallise the vision I had for my major work, my drafts needed to be amended. This is depicted by my ideas being densely expressed, but also the need to balance my argument more strongly, as conveyed by more textual depth and close referencing to The War of the Worlds. I have acted on this feedback by more clearly refining my ideas in developing a stronger response allowing the reader to understand the intended aims of my major work. The dynamic ‘Well’ of satire has successfully taken shape.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Therefore, the impact of the independent investigation has allowed for a key insight into the interplay of imperialism and scientific romanticism Wells assesses in The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds. An in-depth and edifying study has revealed an appreciation for Wells’ ideas and values in my major work. Thus, these enduring contextual paradigms surface this impetus for change, embedded within and beyond the ‘Well’ of satire. [/FONT]

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)