Please help me (1 Viewer)

hotfiree

HSC
N/A
I have trouble with this including source thing. Where do you find them? What exactly do they mean when they say include a source? I cant find any anywhere.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I have trouble with this including source thing. Where do you find them? What exactly do they mean when they say include a source? I cant find any anywhere.
Well, sources can be archaeological, written or both, they can be primary or secondary (you really should know what this means) you use sources to back up and justify your arguements. Im sorry, im not very familiar with egyptian history so i cant really help out on specific examples, but as a unbelievably shit one:

Argument: Egyptians had a very good grasp of geometry and mathamatics.

Archaelogical source used to back up: The pyramids, studies of them have shown how mathamatically/geometrically precise they are.

Allyria

HSC
Hi Hotfiree,

I had a trick for written sources ( a lot of people do this)
you should have a key text from an ancient historian that your teacher uses... if not just ask him/her what they recommend or ask a librarian. All I did was memorise key quotes that I could use in almost any essay, regardless of the question. That really helped a lot.

To get quotes from different historians I just used the hand outs my teacher gave me. Or I gleaned some off a HSC guide; they usually have excerpts from ancient texts.

Quotes can usually be fairly basic as long as you can use them effectively to back up your argument.

:) hope this helped

A.

klowe

HSC
Egypt has a ridiculously large amount of various primary sources you can refer to.

**Archaelogical
pylons
pyramids
tombs
stelae
ostrica
pottery
jewellery
exotic goods - e.g. scenes in the tombs of thutmose III and hatshepsut depict "offerings" from nubia. what does this tell you? they had a sphere of influence (often described as annexed with nubia) by this point in time.
housing remains

Pretty much anything that physically remains from the past.

**Written - remember much of egyptian archaeological structures are also written sources.
- papyri - spells, instruction texts, hymns.
- inscriptions - legacy, spells, hymns.
- receipts - deir el medina they had 'receipts' (only refer to this if relevant, while it's a pretty amazing feat they kept such records remember deir el medina is an elite workers village it doesn't represent the wider peasant/working class community.)

I'm sure you've been given plenty of resources which refer to sources you just didn't grasp onto what the term 'source' can equate to.

And remember a SOURCE is different to EVIDENCE.

Source = Remains from the past.
Evidence = The conclusions drawn from these sources.

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)