please help me? (1 Viewer)

fuggu1

HSC
is it better to do an internal transfer or external?

if i do external? is there a small amount of places available?

e.g. say i choose to do commerce/business at uws and wish to transfer to UNSW/USYD for commerce after 1st year. is it going to be really hard to get in?

or do internal: e.g. i choose to do usyd liberal arts and science for 1 year and transfer to usyd comm. is it much more easier to transfer?

Dylanamali

HSC
i'd choose commerce at uws and then try to transfer to UNSW/USYD commerce.
You'll need a relatively high GPA -> credit/distinction average to obtain the transfer.

But the benefits of choosing commerce @ uws over choosing arts and science is that once you transfer some of your units may be credited and so your time in university will be minimised..
I know that USYD will credit all of your units if the university is a G8 university. UWS isn't a G8, but because its the same course I'd be expecting at worse that you might have to do an extra semester instead of having to do 2 extra semesters.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
i'd choose commerce at uws and then try to transfer to UNSW/USYD commerce.
You'll need a relatively high GPA -> credit/distinction average to obtain the transfer.

But the benefits of choosing commerce @ uws over choosing arts and science is that once you transfer some of your units may be credited and so your time in university will be minimised..
I know that USYD will credit all of your units if the university is a G8 university. UWS isn't a G8, but because its the same course I'd be expecting at worse that you might have to do an extra semester instead of having to do 2 extra semesters.
What? No, internal transfers are always easier than external transfers - because you have zero chance of "oh sorry, we don't count that unit here"

Dylanamali

HSC
What? No, internal transfers are always easier than external transfers - because you have zero chance of "oh sorry, we don't count that unit here"
but if the course is completely different.. there will be no units to credit? =/

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, just do courses you need to. I can do an Arts degree and take ECON1101, FINS1612, FINS1613 and ACCT1501 - all Commerce courses. For the purposes of Arts, they're my "Electives" - but if I transfer to Commerce successfully, those 4 subjects are counted to my Commerce core.

Dylanamali

HSC
No, just do courses you need to. I can do an Arts degree and take ECON1101, FINS1612, FINS1613 and ACCT1501 - all Commerce courses. For the purposes of Arts, they're my "Electives" - but if I transfer to Commerce successfully, those 4 subjects are counted to my Commerce core.
ahh right, okay. I didn't know that..

alright, yeah best to follow Shadowdude's advise and do arts at unsw/usyd then internal transfer to commerce.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
As in, I get into Arts and do four Commerce-style courses. If I transfer to Commerce, the 4 Commerce courses are counted as part of what I need to do for Commerce.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
I think it's easier to do an external transfer. I've heard of people getting 73 WAM and still managing to transfer externally, whereas you need a minimum of 75 WAM to internally transfer at UNSW.

If you follow what Shadowdude suggested, you can have the option of both internal and external transfer. Keep in mind, you should also consider in which course you can perform better. If you choose Arts and cannot do well enough to transfer, you're going to be stuck with an Arts degree.

fuggu1

HSC
So i was looking at the liberal arts and science handbook http://sydney.edu.au/courses/Bachelor-of-Liberal-Arts-and-Science and could not find those "electives"? and if i choose to do liberal arts and science, which units of study should i choose if i want to do comm?

not sure if the question sounds stupid but im just unsure lol

SpaceHitler

HSC
I think it's easier to do an external transfer. I've heard of people getting 73 WAM and still managing to transfer externally, whereas you need a minimum of 75 WAM to internally transfer at UNSW.

If you follow what Shadowdude suggested, you can have the option of both internal and external transfer. Keep in mind, you should also consider in which course you can perform better. If you choose Arts and cannot do well enough to transfer, you're going to be stuck with an Arts degree.
for hte most part you just need good academic standing
i transferred with a wam ~60

i know people who have done so with a wam < 50

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
@above, I'm guessing you want to transfer to B Commerce at UNSW/USYD? I think you'd need at least a high credit to transfer externally

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)