Please help... need it by wednesday (1 Viewer)

jess.webb

HSC
discuss the implications of plea brgaining for the notion of justice for the accused, the victim, the community and the effiency of the court process...... anyone have any idea?!!!!!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Think about how plea bargaining is good for some of things whilst bad for the others. For example:
Victim: may not see it as good as they may get less time in prison and fear retaliation, or feel they are not getting justice.
Accused: may admit to guilt even if not guilty in case found guilty and thus get long sentence - not getting justice or could be escaping justice if they actually did.
Community: not justice as person is getting less time or out quicker which may mean their safety is compromised.
efficiency: this is more efficient as it takes pressure off the court process.

I hope these ideas get you thinking but do some research, don't trust my ideas entirely as it has been over a year since I did legal studies.

jessica.gilroy

HSC
OMG plz u did not just call it plea bargaining!!! (and you call urselves HSC students! shame!)

In Australia its Charge negotiation ...if you don't believe me check out this link.

http://www.nt.gov.au/justice/dpp/html/guidelines/charge_negotiation.shtml

Plea bargaining is american, the only thing that is different is the term, the principle is the same, but if you use the correct terminology the markers in the HSC will think ur smart becuse your up to date and current with legislation etc.

Cheerio :)

meowz0r

HSC
jessica.gilroy said:
OMG plz u did not just call it plea bargaining!!! (and you call urselves HSC students! shame!)

In Australia its Charge negotiation ...if you don't believe me check out this link.

http://www.nt.gov.au/justice/dpp/html/guidelines/charge_negotiation.shtml

Plea bargaining is american, the only thing that is different is the term, the principle is the same, but if you use the correct terminology the markers in the HSC will think ur smart becuse your up to date and current with legislation etc.

Cheerio :)
yeh but that's from the Northern Territory!

http://www.lawsociety.com.au/page.asp?partid=16357

Law Society of NSW said:
Charge Negotiation (formerly charge bargaining)
Negotiations during a criminal trial, between an accused person and a prosecutor in which the accused agrees to admit to a crime (sometimes a lesser crime than the one set out in the original charge). A plea of guilty generally attracts a discounted sentence and avoids the expense of a public trial. Negotiations are conducted in accordance with the Prosecution Guidelines of the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)