Please help with a probability question (1 Viewer)

Elise8842

HSC
N/A

Hi, could someone please explain the second step of the solution to me? [emoji24][emoji24]
I can't get why is it 2n-mCn , because C is for combination isn't it? For box A to be drawn and found empty, box A must have be drawn n times and box B be drawn (n-m) times, so it's only this ONE combination that satisfied the statement, I don't get what's the significance/meaning of 2n-mCn

Your help will be much appreciated [emoji38]

~

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Isn't this saying that, in the first draws, Box A is drawn times, and Box B is drawn times, and we are given that on the next one, Box A is drawn? (Or we could interchange A and B, which is why we multiply by 2 at the end.)

Then the probability of having A's and B's in the first draws is just (this is just a Bernoulli trial).

Multiplying by 2 should give the overall probability as being , which is double the answer in your picture.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The step 1 in your picture seems to assume that the can be any of A or B, but it can only be one of them, depending on which one we're saying is the one that will be empty.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
(I'm assuming the question is saying "Given the man notices the box he has just picked is empty, what is the probability that m matches are left in the other box now?")

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC
As you said,"box A must have be drawn n times and box B be drawn (n-m) times" before we draw from box A again and realise it's empty.

Then is the number of ways you can arrange these (2n-m) items [ with n A's and (n-m) B's. ]
It's like those kind of questions where they ask things such as : In how many ways can you arrange 10 textbooks given 6 of them are (identical) maths books and 4 are chemistry books.

And each arrangement represents a different branch on the tree diagram.

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC
Consider the case where A and B both have 2 matches in them. So n=2.

And we want to find the number of ways such that the box B has 1 left(i.e. m=1 ) when A is found to be empty.
Then before we open A and find it's empty(taking a match for the (2n+1-m)= 4th time), we've drawn 2 matches from A and 1 from B.

So there are ways to do this.
Namely AAB, ABA and BAA.

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC
Isn't this saying that, in the first draws, Box A is drawn times, and Box B is drawn times, and we are given that on the next one, Box A is drawn? (Or we could interchange A and B, which is why we multiply by 2 at the end.)

Then the probability of having A's and B's in the first draws is just (this is just a Bernoulli trial).

Multiplying by 2 should give the overall probability as being , which is double the answer in your picture.
When you compute the probability for getting n A's and (n-m) B's, the next draw could be either from A or B.
Say , then for this case where we need an A on the next draw, we get

And similarly for the case where we find B empty , we get

So P(one of the boxes is empty)=P(A empty)+P(B empty)= P, which is in agreement with OP's handwritten notes.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
When you compute the probability for getting n A's and (n-m) B's, the next draw could be either from A or B.
Say , then for this case where we need an A on the next draw, we get

And similarly for the case where we find B empty , we get

So P(one of the boxes is empty)=P(A empty)+P(B empty)= P, which is in agreement with OP's handwritten notes.
I interpreted the question as we are given that he opened one to find it was empty. So in this case, we don't "need" A on the next draw, because it is given. This is why my answer differed by a factor of 2 from the one in the picture. (The question's wording was ambiguous.)

funnytomato

HSC
I interpreted the question as we are given that he opened one to find it was empty. So in this case, we don't "need" A on the next draw, because it is given. This is why my answer differed by a factor of 2 from the one in the picture. (The question's wording was ambiguous.)
Or we could interchange A and B, which is why we multiply by 2 at the end.
self contradictory ?

Just a quick check:

if you sum up the probabilities for m=0,1,2,....,n , shouldn't they add up to 1?

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
self contradictory ?

Just a quick check:

if you sum up the probabilities for m=0,1,2,....,n , shouldn't they add up to 1?
Ah right, my bad, if I assume it is given that the box is empty, the probability that there are m remaining from the other box is just , and multiplying by 2 just doubles up on cases in this assumption.

FrankXie

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
In the case of n=m=1, which is very easy, do u guys think what the probability asked in the question should be? 1 or 1/2?

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
In the case of n=m=1, which is very easy, do u guys think what the probability asked in the question should be? 1 or 1/2?
But the initial question seems dodgy. It seems that when he picks out a match and empties the matchbox, he doesn't know it's empty until he picks that matchbox again (unrealistic).

So in the case where n = 1, he could pick one matchbox (and so he doesn't know it's empty yet), then pick the other one (so both have 0 matches, but he doesn't know either is empty, unrealistically), which means on the next one, he'll know the matchbox is empty, and we will have m = 0 in this case. So the probability in your above post may not be 1.

This is all based on the man not knowing a box is empty until picking it after it has become empty.

Elise8842

HSC
N/A
Thank you soooooo much!!!!!!!!!!! I finally got this XD

Elise8842

HSC
N/A

Consider the case where A and B both have 2 matches in them. So n=2.

And we want to find the number of ways such that the box B has 1 left(i.e. m=1 ) when A is found to be empty.
Then before we open A and find it's empty(taking a match for the (2n+1-m)= 4th time), we've drawn 2 matches from A and 1 from B.

So there are ways to do this.
Namely AAB, ABA and BAA.
Thank you guys soooooo much!!!!!!!!!!! I finally got this XD

~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)