please help with journal (1 Viewer)

yeahyeahyeahs

first post not sure what all buttons on page do so i just gonna type...

how often should i be writing in my journal/process log and do i put ALL my research pages into it? do i have to analyse sources and explain research? anything would be of help of how to get a great journal going

and is my topic OK..."historical" films and how they present history. very vague atm its either that or female spies (dont know how to relate that to history questions though)

taaa xx

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
hey yeahyeahyeahs,

im doing a similiar topic for mine... "Is Coppola's 'Apocalypse Now' an accurate representation of the Vietnam War?".

For your journal, i recommend chucking EVERYTHING in, even if you dont analyse everything... just filling it up and reflecting is important... and although they also say "quality not quantity" your journal should still have lots of "quantity" regardless. And dont forget to be keeping an annotated bibliography.

Ive got one of those A4 artbooks as my journal - basically, i read a source, stick it in if its not too long, highlight bits, take some quotes, and talk about how it has affected my view of the topic. Just general stuff like that.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Just make it up the night before?
That's what i did.
You just grab all your photocopies and shove them in a folder, and then slowly destroy your essay in stages until it resembles an original draft.

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
you COULD make it up the night before but by doing it along the way, you'll avoid a lot of unecessary stress
at our school the teachers were quite cluey about ppl who did that and they rarely got above 2/5
however it was relatively easy to get a 5/5 as long as there was evidence of considerable research, drafting and analysis. So;
YES- have quite a lot in there
YES- analyse your souces in there
YES- write down what's going through your mind
YES- write down problems you're facing and how you overcome them
YES- write often as it shows you've worked on your project a lot
YES- do lots of drafts and stick them in with corrections
Good luck!

oh dear.

one of the winners of the hta prize put her journal in with her essay, and it was in the booklet of winning essays - it was only one a4 page. as my teacher was with me when i saw it, i asked him if that would be ok, to do approx a para for a month. he said sure...

now, because it's internally marked, should i just go along with that?!?

(with my initial enthusiasm for the subject, i did start an a4 notebook one as well, but found out 2 terms later that it was all waffle, nowhere near enough histiographical stuff namely because we hadn't been taught anything of that nature... i don't particularly want to hand that in because it portrays me in a very historically immature light - OR do i use that and then write a whole spiel about how i've 'seen the light' because of this wonderful subject??)

malayz_angel

Are we meant to actually have a journal? Yeah, I know I'm slow but my teacher just gave us a process log and told us to fill that in! Damn, now I have to get a book!!

Generator

HSC
N/A
Why ask strange students when it's marked internally?

belle_j

isnt the journal and process log the same thing?

our teacher is pretty cool about that, he just told us to write up what we do, when we do it. so far i probably have 5 entries.

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
there is obviously always going to be different marking criteria when things are marked internally (although in theory there probably shouldn't be). Anyway, you're probably the best judge of what your teacher wants. We had about 50 people doing ext hist at our school so journals were marked HARD to differentiate between top students and middle band students. You decide what your teacher is looking for and as long as you're doing that, you'll be fine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)