• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Please, Help! (1 Viewer)

Xyn

HSC
N/A
uhawww said:
Don't think it's going to be an easy ride though, considering Japanese majors are coming out of uni with every second Arts graduate.

If you're a complete beginner you may have to build your way up into Honours and then Masters, to be skilled/qualified enough.

Don't forget the amount of Japanese with English majors, too
Hmm yeah.. It does sound really interesting though. To get to Masters level though, won't I have to be in Uni for something like 7 years? I'm just guessing.

accolade

HSC
u will probably dedicate a few years towards language learning in which case u will be over 25 . i think u should go into a profession that involves ur IT skills and lingustics combined that way u wouldnt have spent 3.5 years of tafe for no reason.

Conspirocy

HSC
I'm not really sure how IT degrees are structured, but you seem to like languages and IT.

You have done all those tafe courses and I think they would count towards getting into uni.

So basically if you do get into uni and just do arts, you can't just major in Japanese I don't think. So what else would you do?

Basically, what I'm saying is maybe you could do some IT/Arts degree and major in both IT and Japanese and then you will be more employable.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Meh, a friend of mine got his translators licence (no uni course, just a few tests). he was literate in both languages and became a translator.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
wrxsti said:
Meh, a friend of mine got his translators licence (no uni course, just a few tests). he was literate in both languages and became a translator.
Oh cool man.

Look up NAATI. Aside from that a Bachelor's degree is needed for most decent jobs, and even higher tier jobs will require a Masters.

But thanks man. You seem to know a lot.

(In case you didn't notice, the OP is a 22 year old who is only beginning to learn a new language. It'll take at least 4 years to reach a level where he can professionally and accurately translate and interpret. Following this are the other complications I mentioned).

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Conspirocy said:
I'm not really sure how IT degrees are structured, but you seem to like languages and IT.

You have done all those tafe courses and I think they would count towards getting into uni.

So basically if you do get into uni and just do arts, you can't just major in Japanese I don't think. So what else would you do?

Basically, what I'm saying is maybe you could do some IT/Arts degree and major in both IT and Japanese and then you will be more employable.
You can just major in Japanese. A wise choice for a career in T&I would be a double major in Linguistics + a foreign language.

All in all, I'd say stick with IT at this point in your life.

Xyn

HSC
N/A
Thanks for all your input btw, uhawww. :]

I was actually looking at a 5 year course earlier at UTS, this course. It seemed like an expensive compromise to me, and according to UAC there are some vacancies left. Though it has little to do with linguistics or translation..

The main problem seems to be that I'm just not sure if I want to go in to IT. I'm concerned that I'll hate sitting around in an office, tapping away. It's probably the easiest way for me to find a good job, though.

If I do end up deciding upon translation or linguistics or something, I pretty much need to wait until 2nd semester now.

Mannn huge decisions.. -_-

D

Dr Lisa Lines

I have a few more suggestions for you.

I'm in South Australia, so I can't guarantee that university application and selection works in exactly the same way in Sydney, but I'm confident that this will still be helpful information for you.

Since you haven't finished Year 12, you won't be able to apply to a university course in the same way as school leavers, because you don't have any grades for the university to judge you by. Which leaves you two options. You can either sit a Mature Age Entry Test (that's what it's called in SA) once you are over 21, which you are. It is possible to do a preparation course for this test before you sit it.

Another option is to do a bridging or foundation course, which is another pathway into uni for students who haven't finished Year 12.

But since you mentioned becoming an ESL teacher, I actually have another suggestion for you that doesn't involve uni. The most recognised international qualification for ESL teaching is actually the CELTA (Cambridge Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults). Language schools and private colleges offer this course, usually as a month long intensive course or a semester long part-time course. The cost is between $2000 and $3000, so it is expensive, but obviously cheaper than uni.

I work as an ESL tutor so if you have any questions about it, please contact me. I hope I can be of some help.

Good luck with your decision making! Remember, don't rush in to anything. You will find what is the right course for you.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
Try giving a Bachelor of Arts a go. You can major in Jap, and/or education, which may take about 3 years..or maybe less if you do an IT/Jap, since you already have TAFE qualifications in IT, so you may get some credit for that. There's heaps of people at Uni, who are enrolled as mature-aged students over 21.. so you will definitely not be alone.

amythyst

HSC
hey, uws has a number of courses that may interest you...and if u enrol in one, you may be able to pick up a major from one of the other courses using electives

b adult education for teaching english second lang
b arts and major in languages
b arts (interpreting and translation)

links to more info:
http://yourfuture.uws.edu.au/ug/arts
http://yourfuture.uws.edu.au/ug/teach_edu

i am doing the b adult education at uws and they have evening classes (so it is good for ppl like myself who like to work) and there is a large number of non current school leavers in the evening classes (i.e. there are a number of ppl that were in similar situation as you that are now studying!!!)

hope the info helps

p.s. i got a year of advanced standing based on my previous studies...you would be able to apply for advanced standing for the TAFE studies ou have completed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)