• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Please rate my answer for Legal Studies? (2 Viewers)

HSC
Uni Grad
I have no idea how Australia actually intends to reduce juvenile crime.
But this is what I think.

Our society intends to reduce juvenile crime by social crime prevention; meaning attempts to educate the inexperienced of the law, as well as the consequences of theft, manslaughter, assault, drink driving, and murder. It should also cover the effects of such penalties of the individual. Our society can also attempt to reduce juvenile crime by encouraging parents to take their children to rehabilitating centers if their child suffers from a mental illness or a behavioral disorder. They could also take their kids to prison to see the severity of imprisonment, the most common punishment for a crime. Overall, the most effective way is not prison, but to make sure that they are educated through school, home, facilities/programs about the severity of breaking the law and penalties in place. This is to develop fear amongst all the youth.
Pretty good response right there. I'd give it this time a 4/4. You wouldn't need to write as much, but as long as the points made accumulate up to the 4/4 standard.

I think the problem that you have is maybe the assess/evaluate sort of questions (ie. the ones where you have to make an argument)

Phoebe 123

HSC
Yeah. Just mark this intro of the original post from this thread. "Discuss the need for discretion."

Discretion in the criminal justice systems refers to the power of the judge/magistrate, jury, police officers, prosecutor and the defense to use proffesional judgement in all areas. Areas in which discretion is used is reporting crime, investigating crime, questioning, imposing a sentence, delivering a verdict, etc. Discretion is useful because it can adapt to different circumstances, allows for and adapts to flexibility, enables opinions and discussion. It is ineffective because it can be abused, a jury, police officer or a judge could be biased and not deliver accordingly.

enoilgam

HSC
Yeah. Just mark this intro of the original post from this thread. "Discuss the need for discretion."

Discretion in the criminal justice systems refers to the power of the judge/magistrate, jury, police officers, prosecutor and the defense to use proffesional judgement in all areas. Areas in which discretion is used is reporting crime, investigating crime, questioning, imposing a sentence, delivering a verdict, etc. Discretion is useful because it can adapt to different circumstances, allows for and adapts to flexibility, enables opinions and discussion. It is ineffective because it can be abused, a jury, police officer or a judge could be biased and not deliver accordingly.
This is a lot better (I reakon band 6), you are setting yourself up well for the rest of your response. Just ensure that you sustain your argument throughout your answer.

HSC
Uni Grad
This is a lot better (I reakon band 6), you are setting yourself up well for the rest of your response. Just ensure that you sustain your argument throughout your answer.
heh now it's sorta thanks to my help of setting out how to write a proper intro :)

Phoebe 123

HSC
In my body, I would discuss the role of each and its advantages/disadvantages. For example, for police.

The main police powers are listed in the Law Enforcement Act 2002 and the Bail Act 1978 NSW. These include the power to arrest, the power to issue warnings and cautions in relation to minor offenses, right to stop a vehicle if they suspect it carries illegal weapons or drugs, the right to search premises, and the right to obtain identification information (name, address, etc.) Some of the main benefits of police discretion is that it gives them flexibility to adapt to an individual's circumstances which may benefit. It promotes job independence and security. However, the limitations of police discretion is that it can be used for the sole purpose of corrupting an individual due to bias, which promotes police corruption which is unwanted inequality in the legal system. This is demonstrated in State of NSW vs. Bedding field (1997.) The foundations of this case; an police officer had an personal history with Bedding field as formally two business partners. The police officer used this personal background history between them to purposely link an alleged crime on her; constantly asking questions and using discretion as a form of harassment and abuse. This demonstrates the notion and impact of police corruption. "Police discretion reported" was an newspaper article written by the ABC news after Bedding field’s release and complaint; highlighting her statement.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
You probably need to go into a bit more detail with this question. You also need to add cases and/or media reports. Just a pointer, try not to be too formulaic (eg. Advantages are this..... etc). Just ease your way in like "One of the main benefits of police discretion is that......" and "However, individual biases can limit the effectivness of police discretion.....". Also you need topic/linking sentences

Phoebe 123

HSC
Can you just mark this one again "Outline the criminal process from a crime being reported to a sentence being given." Out of 6. I just want to see if I have improved or gotten worse.

When someone from the outer community witnesses a crime, it is up to them to use discretion; meaning choosing whether to report it or not. There are many reasons why a witness may and may not want to report it. Such reasons are fear of retribution from the offender, or simply not wanting to be involved in the process. Why they would want to report it is because they would not want to be seen as a party in covering up a crime, opening them up to a charge of obstruction of justice. If, however, they do choose to report it; police will then summon an investigation. Firstly, they will look at factors such as the severity of the crime, the nature of the crime, the reliability of the statement and person made, the available resources, etc. It should be noted that police can choose to dismiss the report issued because of those factors. Otherwise, police will start an investigation. They will investigate around the scene of the crime, look for forensic evidence, question nearby houses/units near that area of the crime. If, after these processes are undertaken, evidence does not turn up linking the crime to anyone, it should be noticed that police can dismiss the investigation, due to a lack of strong findings. However, if strong linking evidence does turn up, police will then issue a process of warrant, search and seizure. Warrant meaning a report needs to be issued to inform policemen that an alleged offender needs to be brought into custody, search meaning wailing sirens/breaking into a house, seizure meaning to bring the alleged offender into custody. When an alleged offender is under arrest, they have the legal right to remain silent, take of all of their ornaments/Jew rely, and have their fingers fingerprinted. If they choose to not comply with these rules, this will be recorded and brought against them in a court of law. If evidence does not turn up to disprove the case against them, the offender will be held in custody until a preliminary hearing, which decides what matters and events will take place. During this, the alleged offender has the right to plead guilty or not guilty to the charges in place against them. If there is a pled of guilty, the case is closed, there’s no trial and the defendant is held in prison until the sentencing process, unless exempt conditions for bail apply. If there is a plea of not guilty, there will be a date issued for a trial, and there will be an issue of bail until the trial. Bail will only be given on certain conditions; such as if the offender hasn’t violated their right to bail, or if the money can be afforded by a family member or a friend. If not, the offender is held until the custody until the trial. The trial is where the prosecutor and the defense will present their cases to an impartial judge, where the jury will observe the court process and the arguments made and come to a decision. Once the judge asks the jury if they have reached a verdict, the jury must decide beyond reasonable doubt if they find the defendant guilty or not guilty. If they find the defendant guilty, there will be a date issued for a sentencing process, and again for bail, same restrictions and conditions will apply. If they find the defendant not guilty, the charges are all dropped against the offender, and the judge will declare them “free to go.”

enoilgam

HSC
I'd say 6/6 you have covered all the steps well. My only criticism is that you should have maybe given a little bit more on sentencing (maybe one more sentence).

Phoebe 123

HSC
Hey, can you give me some advice on my structure for one 25 mark essay for "Effectiveness of the methods available for consumer redress."

P1 - Introduction - Who can be defined as an consumer, Prior to Industrial Revolution in 18th and 19th centuries how people had to make/organize their own goods, commodities and services, need for consumer protection, list of the methods available

P2 - Method 1 - why it is effective and ineffective - its functions and roles - legislation it empowers - cases that involve these methods - need for it

And so and so on for the body

Conclusion - Overall effectiveness of the methods, why it is important

Is this a good action plan?

enoilgam

HSC
Hey, can you give me some advice on my structure for one 25 mark essay for "Effectiveness of the methods available for consumer redress."

P1 - Introduction - Who can be defined as an consumer, Prior to Industrial Revolution in 18th and 19th centuries how people had to make/organize their own goods, commodities and services, need for consumer protection, list of the methods available

P2 - Method 1 - why it is effective and ineffective - its functions and roles - legislation it empowers - cases that involve these methods - need for it

And so and so on for the body

Conclusion - Overall effectiveness of the methods, why it is important

Is this a good action plan?
I dont think that is the best way to structure it. Check my modern essay guide in my sig and look up structure. That should give you an idea how an essay is supposed to be structured.

Phoebe 123

HSC
What I mean is the information. Like for dispute resolution mechanisms - and its effectiveness and non-effectiveness.

enoilgam

HSC
What I mean is the information. Like for dispute resolution mechanisms - and its effectiveness and non-effectiveness.
I didnt do consumer so I'm not to sure. You need to dedicate a paragraph to each of the things you wanted to discuss in paragraph 2. Also, for the intro, give your thesis and a quick preview of your paras with no detail. Try and avoid going into a history on consumer law.

Phoebe 123

HSC
Ok, essay writing really is tough. Most of the things you mentioned in your study guide I haven't even paid attention to before, and didn't give them much value.

enoilgam

HSC
Essay writing is tough, it takes a lot of practice to become good at it and to develop an understanding of the nuance.

Phoebe 123

HSC
Yeh, now I understand why so many people making subject selection choices heavily stick with those crazy Science and Maths combos, because unlike HSIE subjects, they require no essay writing, and most people are good at them. You just have to give the answers, and you get the marks.

enoilgam

HSC
Yeh, now I understand why so many people making subject selection choices heavily stick with those crazy Science and Maths combos, because unlike HSIE subjects, they require no essay writing, and most people are good at them. You just have to give the answers, and you get the marks.
True, but some people are really good at essay writing. My mate was a real gun at it.

Phoebe 123

HSC
Can I just ask; does all that essay writing tips apply to Eco too? It's just that; Eco is a more content based course. Most of the questions don't ask you to make an argument like "Explain the impact of fiscal policy on so and so."

enoilgam

HSC
Can I just ask; does all that essay writing tips apply to Eco too? It's just that; Eco is a more content based course. Most of the questions don't ask you to make an argument like "Explain the impact of fiscal policy on so and so."
Not as much as they would for modern, ancient, legal etc. However, most of the concepts I mention in the guide are shared amongst all essays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)