• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Please rate my answer for Legal Studies? (1 Viewer)

Phoebe 123

HSC
Just attempted the "Demonstrate why commitment to criminal laws is not shown equally across the community." I had 3 reasons, so out of 6 marks this time, instead of 10. If I can find 2 more reasons why, I will re-edit it.

There are several reasons why commitment to criminal laws is not equally distributed across the community. These reasons range from self-interest to as the saying goes “simply having the blood of a criminal.” A common and noteworthy example why the law is frequently broken is self-interest. The main meaning of self-interest is breaking the law for one’s own self-serving purposes. For example, shown in ‘R vs. Stevenson’ (2004), Drew and three other men self-servingly hacked into a banking system and stole several million dollars to finance their retirement. Weeks after this case, (after the criminal trial process was over) published on 23rd November 2004; the ABC published a newspaper article called “Three other men plead guilty for a lesser charge in returning for giving evidence against perpetrator.” Another example is ‘R vs. Sheridan,’ Mrs. Sheridan (a married woman with 3 teenage kids) was struggling to gain income due to being fired from her high income job. So, for own self-serving purposes, disregarding the law, they maliciously hacked into a friend’s balance account, and stole approximately $2 million, according to court officials and arresting officers at the time. Another reason why commitment to criminal laws is not equally distributed across the community is because of social factors; such as particular upbringing, their attitude towards the law, inexperience. For example, in ‘R vs. Davidson (`2006)’; a 16 year old juvenile offender was tried for abusing, carrying and sharing illicit drugs. When asked for a statement from police, he gave a detailed explanation of why he wasn’t aware of the severe ness and penalties; due to his family background, and how he was raised; his upbringing. During which the case was heard in the Children’s Court, the ABC published a newspaper article in an attempt to raise awareness of juvenile crime; it was called “Justice Action” and it was published on the 7th of February 2006. Another reason why commitment to criminal laws is not equally distributed across the community is due to some people simply having it in their:”veins.” For example, some don’t have a social conscience, and are a cold-blooded murderer/sexual assaulter naturally. It’s just “who” they are, and society needs to be protected from these sorts of criminals. A criminal who has it in their “veins” will usually have a large number of victims, and must be doing it continuously, not just a “one-off.” As supported in ‘R vs. Tylo (1992), who was sentenced to 25 years for a trend in sexually assaulting 6 children across the same community; the Sunday Herald released a newspaper article called “Child molester sentenced to 25 years terming him an “child molester” as the offensive act was done repeatedly.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
On the whole, your answer is good but you could have used better points. I agree with the use of upbringing, and self interest, but I disagree with you use of "the "born bad" argument. I would have looked at socio-economic differences - ie Poor people make up a higher proportion of criminals as they have less incentive to follow the law compared to a wealthy person.

Also, there are still some issues with your writing. First, you are making the arguments emotive ie "It’s just “who” they are, and society needs to be protected from these sorts of criminals." - a marker will absolutely despise this line due to is super-subjectiveness. So in all I'd give this response a 3/6, it needs some work but it can be a 6/6.

Phoebe 123

HSC
I think I'm trying to get ahead because I want to put myself at an "advantage" over everyone else.

Phoebe 123

HSC
I did, it wouldn't let me send my email because it said your inbox was full. Delete some of your messages so I can send it to you.

Phoebe 123

HSC
Hey, I got your email. Just want feedback on this "Compare two categories of crime; I did offences against person and drug offenses. Don't mark me. Just give feedback. And yes, I don't have much for drug use.

Offences against persons are crimes committed directly to harm an individual or a group, physically. These crimes are some of the most serious crimes committed; they involve murder, manslaughter, homicide, sexual assault, assault, etc. All carry a minimum sentence of at least 10 years, varying on circumstances and extent of damage caused. Murder is the ultimate sin of all humanity; this is the most malicious offense committed against a person; as it involves the intended and malicious act of taking a life. It should be noted that the intent behind murder separates it from unlawful homicide (such as manslaughter.) As the loss of a human being causes immense grief and despair among friends and families associated with the victim, as well as the act of unlawful killing jeopardizes the wellbeing of society as a whole, most communities and groups consider this crime to be worthy of the harshest penalties that consist in the Australian Legal System.

Murder is a crime punishable by the state and sentencing is the legal measure used in removing a violent offender of this act from society. Although not used in Australia any longer since the 60’s, some other European countries and the United States of America in some states impose the death penalty for the offensive act of murder. Anyone who repetitively the offensive act of murder is classified as a murderer. Manslaughter is the legal term for taking a life of a human being; but less culpable and “offensive” than murder. Manslaughter can involve drink driving and taking a life; although can be classified as homicide. Criminal culpability is best characterized with mens rea (the intent of the unlawful act.) In New South Wales, the partial defense to reducing a crime from murder to manslaughter is Provocation. Provocation meaning if the accused can allege and prove to a temporary loss of control as a response to provocative conduct by the victim. Manslaughter is seen as an unlawful act of taking a life, however because of the absence of mens rea, it cannot be looked at as an offense as vicious as murder.

Sexual assault is the deliberate force of sexual intercourse on a person, without their consent. The term sexual assault is used, in public discourse, as a generic term that is defined as many involuntary sexual assaults in which a person is threatened, coerced, or forced to against their will, or any sexual touching against a person towards which they have not consented to. This includes rape, inappropriate kissing, and child molestation.

Another category of crime is drug offenses. These simply use of trafficking, abusing, and possession of illicit drugs. Most offenses are covered in the Drug Misuse & Trafficking Act 1985 (NSW). The quantity of drugs used for illicit and inappropriate purposes will determine the severity of the punishment issued. It is a crime to use, possess, distribute, sell or abuse illegal drugs such as cocaine, marijuana, heroin, morphine and other types of drugs that are intoxicating and prohibited.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
What you have done is pretty good, I just have a few comments. First, for this question you just need to give a paragraph on crimes against the person and drug offences (this question would be worth 4-6 marks maybe). So your first paragraph and last paragraph would probably be enough. When you discuss drug crimes, start the paragraph off by saying "On the other hand" or "Conversely" so it appears that you are comparing. Also, you are still using emotive arguments, although not as much. This line "Murder is the ultimate sin of all humanity" shouldnt be in there it is way too emotive. Just say "murder is widely regarded as being the most serious crime within Australian society"

Also, your information is off a bit, not all personal crimes carry 10 year minimum sentences, (common assualt and indecent assault carry 2 and 5 year terms respectively, whilst many other personal offences carry light punishments).

enoilgam

HSC
I'd say 5/8, because if the question is out of 8, then you would need more detail on drug crimes. If it were out of 6, I'd say 4 or 5.

Phoebe 123

HSC
In a past HSC exam, it was out of 8. Btw, I have a question; based on my work ethic, do you feel I will be able to get an 70+ atar? It looks like I am aiming low, but I really don't have expectations for anything 90+.

enoilgam

HSC
In a past HSC exam, it was out of 8. Btw, I have a question; based on my work ethic, do you feel I will be able to get an 70+ atar? It looks like I am aiming low, but I really don't have expectations for anything 90+.
I think you have the work ethic of a 90+ student considering the amount of responses you have done in the last month. For a person of average intelligence, 70 can be reached by making sure you understand the work and doing a bit of minor revision before exam time (average ATAR is high 60's low 70's I think). If you are above average, then 70 plus can be achieved with a minior amount of work.

Phoebe 123

HSC
So you feel I will be able to get an 70+ atar easily?

Do you think I should aim higher?

enoilgam

HSC
So you feel I will be able to get an 70+ atar easily?

Do you think I should aim higher?
I think its very likely that you could get more than 70. There is no harm in aiming higher, but how high you aim comes down to what you want to do at university and personal aspirations.

Phoebe 123

HSC
What ranks do you think are required for an 70+ atar if school rank is 136. My prelim ranks were 34, 17, 10, 8, 7, and 24. But they are just prelim ranks and I don't put much value into them, because HSC is very different.

Advanced English /60

Chem /34

Physics /40

Legal /25

Eco /20

2U Maths /75

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Advanced English 40/60
Chem 20/34
Physics 25/40
Legal 15/25
Eco 13/20
2U Maths 45/75

That should be more than enough, but ATAR to ranks estimates are really unreliable.

Phoebe 123

HSC
Okay, should be acheivable.

I just want to know what you think of my introduction to "How effective are the methods available for consumer redress." The legislation is made up, so take note of that.

The legal and non-legal methods available throughout the criminal justice system to protect the rights and welfare of consumers are……. Legal methods are generally more legally enforceable however as shown and supported by cases, media reports and legislation, non-legal methods have been used in supporting and helping consumers from the deceptive infringements of bait advertising, deceptive advertising, etc. All these methods available for consumer redress are each effective and ineffective in their own way, and the extent of their effectiveness can clearly be seen through a wide range of cases, media reports and legislation. By the Consumer Act 1987, a consumer is defined as anyone who uses the commodities, services and goods of another. The journey of being a consumer is an everyday part of all social lives, and it is important to know how to protect yourself from misleading, deceptive and inappropriate misconduct from manufacturers, businesses and trade compartments and blocs.

Last edited:

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
By the Consumer Act 1987, a consumer is defined as anyone who uses the commodities, services and goods of another.
The Consumer Act 1987? Are you talking about the Fair Trading Act 1987 (NSW)?

When you cite legislation in an exam, cite it as follows: Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) - underline the whole legislation except the jurisdiction. Note - for commonwealth laws it is Cth, for New South Wales laws it is NSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)