Please Share Your EE2 Experience (1 Viewer)

ShadowSwifter

HSC
Hi Guys:

I'm really interested in doing EE2 for HSC, and probably would do a critical analysis of some sort, but I still like to know what's it like doing EE2 in Year 12 as some of you guys must have experienced.

If anyone could share their success or difficulties it would be great. Thanks

faceface

HSC
hello!

english extension has been AMAZING, and i really encourage all english lovers to give it a go! but... i'm sure you'll hear it a million times - START EARLY. it can be really rewarding, interesting, fun... but also really stressful if you're rushing things.

what sort of stuff did you want to know?

ShadowSwifter

HSC
Hey:

I have a few questions:
- what was your critical study about?
- how did you get the idea?
- how long do you spend on it everyday?
- and what did you do when you got stuck or ran into difficulties?

Thanks

jimmayyy

HSC
ShadowSwifter said:
Hey:

I have a few questions:

i wrote a short story. it was about 60's counter culture and was written in a new journalism style of writing (think fear and loathing)

it's wat i am/was interested in. it's always better to write whats close to your heart or else you won't have the drive to stick with it

it differed. there were stretches of time where i didn't even look at it, then times were it dominated my life and i did 6+ hours on it everyday in a row. it all depends

i left it for a bit or talked to other people doing it. writers block is a bitch.

no waccas

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
EE2 is pretty awesome IMO. I wouldn't, however, recommend doing it if you're doing other major works. Unless you're extremely disciplined (which I am not). At certain points I found myself working exclusively on my MW for days on end just because I enjoyed it so much, and if I got stuck I'd try to ignore it for a while and read lots of other materials - I'd tend to spring a couple of new ideas in the middle of the night a fair bit.
Anyway, if you're the sort who maybe gets carried away in Adv and Ext 1 and you want to approach texts from your own... standpoint thingie*... rather than from a set of things to look for like IMAGINATIVE JOURNEYS YAY (so sick to death of hearing those words) then I think a critical would be a cool thing to do. Infact I sometimes wish I had done that instead, but doing a short story seemed like something new to try. :)

*They call this lethalogica and yes, I know I'm giving EE2 students a bad name with it :D

Vienna

HSC
Go for it, you can always drop the subject if you find your struggling or lost interest etc. (make sure you have a safety net)

The best bit of advice I can give is to finish your first draft by the end of the Christmas Holidays this way if you realise that your idea hasnt worked or you need to start again you still have plenty of time.

Pick a topic/issue that your passionate about.

I found that I did the bulk of my work during the holiday periods, and a couple of hours a week. Though there was periods of time where I did neglect my work.

Make sure you keep your logbook up to date and your annonated bibliography to solve a mad rush towards the end.

faceface

HSC
i did short stories, i'm sorryyy
but there were heaps of people who did amazingly ace critical studies in my class and LOVE it. political language was a favourite, actually. everyone seemed to be wanting to do that, but i think only one did, haha.
yeah like above said, the whole two major works thing isn't very fun. well, it is fun, but it takes up a LOT of time. that's why i did shortstories - because i was already doing a researchy essay thing for hist ext.

i wrote down a freakin HUGE list of everything i found interesting about english. and then my sister suggested something really offhand at dinner once so i ran with it. ha.

i didn't spend time on it every day. i tended to leave it for a while, especially when i had heaps of other school stuff on or i had no inspiration.... which was rather a lot of time actually...
and then i'd get into it and just go crazy. you get obsessed, and spend all your time on it. its so much fun!

first of all i just stopped, and excused it as a 'break' for all my other work. no way. you just have to keep writing crap until you get so sick of it that suddenly it clicks and you get going again. my least favourite way of doing things, but with this sort of time period and crazy schedule i think you've got to.

good luck!!
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

xxJTxx

HSC
I was doing EE2 and I dropped it not even half way.
I had too many units (which I made the mistake of dropping ee2 over mx1)...but I don't mind. The reason I dropped was not that it was too difficult, it was because I decided to do a UMAT Prep Course, and so I spent all my time that woulda been for EE2 on preparing for UMAT.
EE2, was fun, and I was very sad to have to leave my major work. I was in the process of designing a website, I had my proposal done, and all my info was sorted...I wasted a lot of time during Christmas break reading up on my concept.
But I'm happy I didn't keep it, cause I wouldn't have done a good job at it if I did - it would have been rushed...I'm not the type of person who gives something a half assed job, I want all or nothing.
I think all ee2 students should have that mindset. You need to dedicate time to, work to it and yeah.
My concept was this whole psychological development look on lying and maturation, and how if we look at children, we can note that reasons for lying carry through to adulthood, but in a more 'mature' manner. It was a bit of a strange concept, but was 'original'. Idea for it just came out of the blue when I was in the shower one day...stuff like that just hits you.
I'm not sure if this has been done as of yet, but another one of my ideas was an exploration of entetainers over an age, and how their role/position/status in society has changed over time.
OVERALL...do something you ENJOY or else your going to HATE EE2 - you'll hate journalling, and devloping the major work..and you won't come off well in your viva either! :)

Hope that helped.

ShadowSwifter

HSC
Hi Guys:

The responses are surely inspirational, I still like to know how did you guys source your ideas?

Like did you guys look through books generally, or other mediums too like films or speeches. Did any of you actually need to conduct an interview with someone for ideas?

Thanks

arwin90

HSC
With mine, Im writing a short story which explores the extent of man's free will, through the metaphor of an ant colony actually. It's a bit like Orwell's animal farm. You know how ants act as individuals when they're alone but like one giant organism when they're together, so it's a fertile ground to explore the question of free will.

How did I come up with it? I was lying in bed one night back in yr 11 and thought, hey woldnt it be cool to write bout ants. Literally, that's what happened.

That's the thing with ee2, people ramble on about how much fun it is, and it defintiely IS, but ideas come to you usualy at the most inconvinient of times.

I wouldnt have minded going back and doing a critical analysis on free will instead of a short story. Philosophy in fictional literature, like Sartre etc. is I think a nice subject for critical analysis.

My 2 cents on a more controlled way of coming up with ideas: what are u reading right now? a friend once suggested to me, take your favouite TV show (a more weighty one) and change the names of teh characters, then start writing a story, or for you analyse its themes.

Gradually your major work will evolve anyway to what suits you best. Just write and write. That's what happened with me, I started with aimless fragments on ants and after a few weeks, the focus on free will just started to emerge.

Good luck with it all

.gaj.

HSC
Do it bud. Its long, painful, annoying and all those other things, but my god is it awesome realising in the end that you've just pushed out an entire unit of ur HSC for what in retrospect seems like hardly any work. The great thing is becuase your doing something of your choice, ext2 becomes like ur hobby subject that you get to kick back a little with.

HOWEVER: dont do what i did. I chased mis-complete concepts and bad ideas for the first few terms. I even started making a video before i scrapped it. Luckily in the last term i pulled together to build a website on Science Fiction Video Games which was pretty much a haphazard critical analysis. So my only advice is to nail that concept sure and hard within Term 4.

Good luck mate.

HSC
many people say GO FOR IT..and what a darn great course it is...
but let me tell you something..

if you are not a perfectionist or a hardcore procrastinator (and you know that will never change) then you might end up as i did...completely hating the course and now never wanting to write again...no joke..i used to love it...and its caused me to loathe english to a great degree ><

Write about something you love and keep at it for the whole year...dont slack off!! it can be a good course if you allow it too, but also turns out to be a years worth of burden.

For me my project actually came about in the oddest way! i remembered reading something in a magazine in yr 8! random? yes...but also it was relevent in my life so i knew it was the right concept..i kept with the concept from the beginning of
4u until the end and there was no changing throughout like most people...

Just go reading about...pick a area you might be interestd in and just internet surf..it is loads of fun and a great way to waste time! ^^ but you learn a lot and when you find the right thing to write about you'll know :D
g'luck

O.osezZ

HSC
I did a short story, but I focused on the nature of relationships between fictional characters, as a result of the psyche

It was relatively easy for me, because I'd always been very fascinated with character relationships and why they always turn out the way they do (the main focus of my story was why the villain was so despised, why the hero is so admired)

I actually only worked on it every few weeks, and crammed it the week before it was due. Don't follow my example though. My advice would be to work on it when you have a little free time, especially over the holidays, at least have a rough idea of what you want to do from the start and to start early.

I went back to my journal to see my progress and look at my proposal to put things into perspective. If I was still unsure, I did a few hours of research and putting lists together, brainstorming or discussing my ideas with my ext2 friends.

I think what I wasn't expecting, and what alot of people in my class wasn't expecting, was how emotionally attached you get to your MW. You put all your time and intention into it, so it's pretty much putting a part of your identity out there to be marked by people who don't know you. It can get pretty nervewracking, so have someone who you can always talk it out with, and always have someone who isn't scared of dishing out criticisms when they read through your work.

Having said that, I angsted over ext2 tonnes, and I still do, even after the fact. However, it was also incredbly rewarding and I am sooo proud of my MW ^^

gooood luck!

bussoti

HSC
In my opinion, EE2 was amazing because I didn't have to sit in a stuffy class room listening to somebody drone on about something that I really didn't care about. I was always better at creative writing than any other part of the English syllabus, so I took on the subject as a way to inhance the talent I suppose I'd merited from so many years of writing fanfictions and wannabe purple prose around Year 7. In any case, I recommend you start early. I'm an evil thing that people like to call 'a perfectionist', and I couldn't think of any way to begin my story. Nothing sounded right, and I was incredibly harsh on myself, which forced me to abandon writing for another day and another and another. That said, I did an INSANE amount of research, on werewolf myths, on latent homosexuality, on dream analysis, Freud, you name it, I did it (I even read de Sade, which, has now taken every last part of my innocence.) So, personally, I'd recommend you do a bit every day, even if it's just doodling in your journal or whatever, but have something in your head, because the fact that I did so much research, is probably what saved me in the end, because I wrote and finished my story two nights before it was due, my teacher marked it, I edited any mistakes I found and then it was off! You don't want to be like me, so make sure you do start early. Nothing is worse than procrastination.

I have a few questions:
- what was your critical study about? I wrote a story, and it was about lycanthropy. It was about a werewolf, and I suppose, in a sense it was a satire, I made reference to historians and myths that incorporated the werewolf and the modern interpretations that were used to justify lycanthropy.
- how did you get the idea? I listened to a song called 'Tristan' by Patrick Wolf, and I remember thinking that the song should have been in Underworld, which got me to thinking about wolves, I laughed that the singer's last name was wolf, and the rest as they say, is catnip. My original idea was compleeeetely different though.
- how long do you spend on it everyday? I wrote nothing till about, the last week. But I had pages and pages and sketches and clippings and all this hunk of crap that I accumulated from daily research. I also watched a lot of films and studied nursery rhymes that featured wolves, etc. The movie part was good, there are some amazing lycanthropic films out there. Oh, and wolf footage, and blizzard footage. (apparently, it helped Anthony Hopkins get into the role of Hannibal, so I figured it'd work for me)
- and what did you do when you got stuck or ran into difficulties? Haha, um. I ate. I ate an awful lot, and watched more films and researched and asked people for their opinions on things. My friend was really helpful during this time. My teacher said that I should probably cut back on any bloody and gory descriptions when I first told her my idea, my friend was really helpful in getting me to make up my mind over a death scene. I had a few ideas, and in the end, I decided to write it as a sex scene. It worked!

Well, after that ramble, I suppose you've gathered that I'm rather wordy (probably another reason why I did the subject) and that it does take up a lot of your time and a lot of your thinking, so I'd recommend setting aside time to write a bit every night and incorporate that with whatever study plan you have when you do homework, because you really don't want to be sitting in the middle of maths or something and suddenly all you have is EE on the brain. Though, of course, that might happen, and if it does, 'don't panic!'. :) You do get quite emotionally attached, and sometimes you might think 'oh, that would have been awesome to put in my story!' after you hand it in, but I suppose if you start early, you shouldn't run into too many problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)