Plots of TSBS and AG (1 Viewer)

zvezda

HSC
Hey I know by asking this that I'm going to be attacked by all the good ext people, especially the day before and all, but I'm tired and just had my modern history exam and...

Can anyone give me a cliff notes version of the plots of The Skull Beneath the Skin and Anil's Ghost?

Its greatly appreciated, though I'm bound to be harrased by several people :p...

ellejay145

HSC
Firstly, i would like to say newcastle is soooo cool, i love it up there (relatives live there).
Secondly, i shall be nice and try and help you out, seeing as i know how hard it is to get any decent replies on this site. However i dont know AG, and im not studying TSBS because i didnt really like it and it doesnt fit with what i am saying about genre studies. So whatever im giving you is off the net, sorry.

The Skull Beneath The Skin is a 1982 detective novel by P. D. James, featuring her female private detective Cordelia Gray. The novel is set in a reconstructed Victorian castle on the fictional Courcy Island on the Dorset coast and centers around actress Clarissa Lisle who is to play John Webster's drama The Duchess of Malfi in the castle's restored theatre. It takes its title from T. S. Eliot's poem Whispers of Immortality, where Webster is famously said to be "much possessed by death" and to see "the skull beneath the skin".

Characters
Cordelia Gray
Cordelia Gray is the heroine/detective of the story. The book is written mainly form her point of view. Cordelia is the owner of Prydes Detective Agency (named for her old boss/mentor,Bernie Pryde, who committed suicide). Due to lack of business, she and her two staff members, Bevis & Miss Maudsley, have been reduced to finding missing pets, at which they are quite successful.
Cordelia is hired by Clarissa Lisle to solve the mystery of who is sending her threatening letters. However, when Clarissa is murdered, she takes it upon herself to solve the mystery of why and by whom she was killed.
Sir George Ralston
The last of Clarissa Lisles' many husbands. A former soldier, he has a 'dark' history on Courcy Island. He is "A little over sixty", conservative, well groomed, and formal. He employs Cordelia to relieve Clarissa's fears over the letters, more than the fact he actually wants anyone caught.
Clarissa Lisle
Clarissa is an actress with a long history of theatre work, especially in Shakespeare. Previously married three times, landing a stepson from one, Simon Lessing, at the time of her death she was married to George Ralston. Prior to her husband employing Cordelia, she had been receiving threatening letters, consisting of a verse to do with death from a play she had been in, accompanied by a crude drawing, on untraceable paper. The result of these is that she is losing her nerve on stage, which could jeopardise her career.
While not beautiful, she has great charisma, is described as having enormous power over men, being both seductive and manipulative. Her personality is dominating and demanding, though fragile from the onslaught of poison pen letters.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/
[edit] Plot synopsis

Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.
Cordelia Gray is engaged by Sir George Ralston, a baronet and World War Two hero, to accompany his wife, the acclaimed actress Clarissa Lisle, for a weekend at Courcy Castle on the island of the same name on the Dorset coast. Clarissa has been receiving thinly veiled death threats in form of quotations from plays where she played the main role.
Shortly before the performance of The Duchess of Malfi, Clarissa is brutally murdered, leaving Cordelia and the Dorset CID to deal with solving the crime. In the end, it is found that she was accidentally murdered by her step son Lessing. She tried to seduce him, was rejected, so then ridiculed him. In anger, he threw a jewelry box at her. Ambrose found them like this, &, because Clarissa had been blackmailing him because of his tax evasion, agreed to help Simon cover up the crime. However, Simon begins to lose control, so Ambrose does away with him too. The end of the book is one of uncertanty. No-one has been brought to justice, however Cordelia is safe, and her life, it seems, will continue on as before.

Hope that helps a bit. goodluck tomorow.

zvezda

HSC
Thanks for your help. It truly is appreciated. Glad you like Newcastle, I hate it. Leaving home in 1 week and 5 days for Washington DC then get back in Feb 13, back home for one day then off to either Armidale (UNE) or Canberra (ANU) for uni...

Goodluck for tomorrow!

XX

ellejay145

HSC
hahah probably like everywhere, if you live there it doesnt have the same perks as somewhere u only visit once in a while. wow that sounds really exciting, well goodluck and have fun overseas aye, and goodluck for your future. how did you find the exam? im abit iffy about my creative piece because i did a chapter from a novel rather than a short story, my mind went blank. anyways, i wish you all the best. take care

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)