• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

plurality and social changes help (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
There are differnt things you can talk about here:
the development of religious plurality and distribution/profile of religious adherence today:
– immigration after World War II
– the ending of the White Australia Policy
– the formation of the Uniting Church in Australia in 1977
– New Age religions
– religious conversion and denominational switching
– Pentecostalism and the charismatic movement
OR
responses by some religious traditions to social change and initiatives in community development from 1901 to the present:
– ministry in rural and outback Australia
– the role of religious traditions in the labour movement, conscription, wars and the Great Depression
– the role and responses of religious traditions in/to at least THREE (note the at least) of the following issues/political debates:
- abortion
- divorce
- euthanasia
- gambling
- indigenous rights
- poverty
- sexuality
- the role of women in family, church, workplace and society
- unemployment
These are different religions as it says TRADITIONS
The other ones, you just know and answer the question

as u said denominational switching is one however ecumenism is not
that would go under:
recognition of common elements in religious expression and world views in Australia today:
– religious harmony and inter-faith dialogue
– ecumenical developments within Christianity, eg the World Council of Churches, National Council of Churches in Australia, the Sydney College of Divinity, the Australian College of Theology
– joint inter-faith and ecumenical initiatives, eg in times of crisis or tragedy.

hope that helped :)

zozo

i have been reading through some stuff that has completely confused me about religious plurality.

my teacher gave us heaps of notes on plurality with different traditions, however, when i was reading throught the macquarie guide, they said that R. plurality was the diversity between christian denominations, and R. diversity was the diversity between diffrent religions. is that the way it really is, or is religious plurality between traditions AND within traditions ie denominations??

what is the HSC expecting us to talk about when they ask about developments in religious plurality. just christianity or different traditions??

also, i was reading through past questions and was curious to what you talk about when they ask about christianity's response to a social change...
are social changes like denominational switching etc --> ecumenism
or is it things like abortion etc
what are other ones i could talk about?

roadcone

HSC
PLURALITY: - Referring to a form of society embracing various minority groups and traditions, including religious practices - i.e. more than one

It is a concept that has become evident essentially through increased immigration following WW2 and the ending of the White Australia Policy.

Religious plurality has resulted in increased religious diversity in Australia. Therefore I differ in opinion from Joe because I would suggest that ecumenism and inter-faith dialogue can be spoken about witihin religious pluralism as it is a response to an increased diversity in society.

Religious plurality questions in the HSC will refer to both Christianity and different traditions.

I would suggest checking your syllabus to check the areas and what you are required to do, because after all the questions are derived from it. Also the advice line may be worth a buzz, although I have not personally used it, from what I have heard it is quite beneficial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)