plz help (1 Viewer)

HSC
hi im in year 12 this year and im still a bit confused on how exactly internal, external, trials etc all factor into the atar. im currently aiming for Law/Crim UNSW and took the LAT in year 11 with a result of 79/100 and 83rd percentile. i was using the talent100 atar calculator and when trying to see what marks i need to get a 95 ish atar, it needs a 90+ for all my subjects, which are ext1 maths, eng adv, bio, legal and VA. im pretty nervous as getting above 90 in one subject alone is hard, and to need to get a 90+ in all my subject exams will be impossible. plz clarify and help me please it is much appreciated. :hug2:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Your HSC marks (final marks) across your subjects are used in the calculation of your ATAR. An HSC mark is comprised of an Assessment Mark worth 50% and an Examination Mark worth 50%, meaning that in order to calculate an HSC mark, the average of the Assessment Mark and the Examination Mark is calculated.

The Examination Mark refers to the mark you receive in the HSC exam (external) of a particular subject. This mark depends on your own performance in the HSC exams (i.e. it is not affected by factors such as your rank relative to your cohort in a particular subject or your school rank) and is subject to alignment.

The Assessment Mark refers to the mark you achieve in a particular subject based on your performance in your school-based assessment tasks/exams (internal). It is determined through a process called moderation, which uses Examination Marks achieved by your cohort to adjust students' Assessment Marks. You may be aware that ranking is an essential part of your performance with respect to the Assessment Mark, meaning that in order to maximise your Assessment Mark in a particular subject, you will need to rank as highly as possible relative to your cohort, which can only be done by performing to the best of your abilities in your school-based assessment tasks/exams.

Essentially, the highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in a school cohort. Similarly, the lowest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark of any student in a school cohort. In the case of other ranks, the Assessment Mark will not equal its equivalent Examination Mark. However, it will be similar. Consider the following example from NESA:

Example table

As you can see, the highest Assessment Mark was adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (92). The lowest Assessment Mark was also adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark (50). However, the Assessment Mark for the student ranked third (74) is not identical to the third-highest Examination Mark (72), although it is similar.

The Assessment Mark is also subject to alignment, similar to the Examination Mark.

I hope this helps! :D

idkkdi

HSC
hi im in year 12 this year and im still a bit confused on how exactly internal, external, trials etc all factor into the atar. im currently aiming for Law/Crim UNSW and took the LAT in year 11 with a result of 79/100 and 83rd percentile. i was using the talent100 atar calculator and when trying to see what marks i need to get a 95 ish atar, it needs a 90+ for all my subjects, which are ext1 maths, eng adv, bio, legal and VA. im pretty nervous as getting above 90 in one subject alone is hard, and to need to get a 90+ in all my subject exams will be impossible. plz clarify and help me please it is much appreciated. :hug2:

HSC
Your HSC marks (final marks) across your subjects are used in the calculation of your ATAR. An HSC mark is comprised of an Assessment Mark worth 50% and an Examination Mark worth 50%, meaning that in order to calculate an HSC mark, the average of the Assessment Mark and the Examination Mark is calculated.

The Examination Mark refers to the mark you receive in the HSC exam (external) of a particular subject. This mark depends on your own performance in the HSC exams (i.e. it is not affected by factors such as your rank relative to your cohort in a particular subject or your school rank) and is subject to alignment.

The Assessment Mark refers to the mark you achieve in a particular subject based on your performance in your school-based assessment tasks/exams (internal). It is determined through a process called moderation, which uses Examination Marks achieved by your cohort to adjust students' Assessment Marks. You may be aware that ranking is an essential part of your performance with respect to the Assessment Mark, meaning that in order to maximise your Assessment Mark in a particular subject, you will need to rank as highly as possible relative to your cohort, which can only be done by performing to the best of your abilities in your school-based assessment tasks/exams.

Essentially, the highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in a school cohort. Similarly, the lowest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark of any student in a school cohort. In the case of other ranks, the Assessment Mark will not equal its equivalent Examination Mark. However, it will be similar. Consider the following example from NESA:

Example table

As you can see, the highest Assessment Mark was adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (92). The lowest Assessment Mark was also adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark (50). However, the Assessment Mark for the student ranked third (74) is not identical to the third-highest Examination Mark (72), although it is similar.

The Assessment Mark is also subject to alignment, similar to the Examination Mark.

I hope this helps! :D
thank you so much bro <3

c_z_m

HSC
Your LAT is great, well done - but please do it again this year! You should personally be aiming for a 96+ ATAR as it seems a lot of kids have got in with that ATAR this year and a similar LAT. Keep in mind though UNSW looks at your best LAT score not percentile - that is, if this year, a LAT score of 79 is a 50th percentile and you get a LAT of 80 in the 60th percentile, your best LAT score would be 80, even though it's a lower percentile. Hence you should be aiming to maximise your LAT score as much as possible - it doesn't hurt to do it again.

Band 6's are totally possible if you're motivated and have the effort - you can do it! One important thing to note, though, is ATAR calculators are not entirely accurate - as cohort performance varies from year-to-year. For example, Chemistry had insane scaling this year as substantially less people recieved a band 6 - hence an 89 in 2021 was equal to a 91 in 2020. It might work the other way, for example 4U maths had slightly reduced scaling as more people got a Band 6 this year. Hence, don't necessarily try to "reverse engineer" your ATAR too much, but rather use the calculators as a rough guide for HSC marks needed.

Last edited:
HSC
Your LAT is great, well done - but please do it again this year! You should personally be aiming for a 96+ ATAR as it seems a lot of kids have got in with that ATAR this year and a similar LAT. Keep in mind though UNSW looks at your best LAT score not percentile - that is, if this year, a LAT score of 79 is a 50th percentile and you get a LAT of 80 in the 60th percentile, your best LAT score would be 80, even though it's a lower percentile. Hence you should be aiming to maximise your LAT score as much as possible - it doesn't hurt to do it again.

Band 6's are totally possible if you're motivated and have the effort - you can do it! One important thing to note, though, is ATAR calculators are not entirely accurate - as cohort performance varies from year-to-year. For example, Chemistry had insane scaling this year as substantially less people recieved a band 6 - hence an 89 in 2021 was equal to a 91 in 2020. It might work the other way, for example 4U maths had slightly reduced scaling as more people got a Band 6 this year. Hence, don't necessarily try to "reverse engineer" your ATAR too much, but rather use the calculators as a rough guide for HSC marks needed.
thank you for the advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)