plz read (1 Viewer)

mraverage

Hay,

I'm new to this forum and site but it seems extremely helpful. Im in yr 11 right now but moving into yr 12 very quickly. I've had to make subject choices recently(which i can still change) but i have a few major problems. Firstly, im doing 14 Units ( yes this seems crazy but i will drop down to 12 Units very soon). I am currently thinking of doing 4 maths, 4 english, 2 physics, 2 chemistry and 2 economics ( very crazy in deed).

My first problem is whether i should do 4 english, it seems hard and the competition seems stiff but i enjoy english and i get good results (so far), could any body who has done 4 eng or is doing it give me some websites or ideas of past works so i can see the standard of work?

My second problem is my choice between physics and chemistry, I most likely have to drop one of these. I am average at both, have an average 'enjoyment' of both so its fairly hard for me to drop. Could any former or yr 12 students help me here? are the physics and chem tests based on more explanation or more maths? personal comments?

well thats about all i need to know, if anyone can be bothered to give me some useful websites, information or just personal comments on my subject choices plz do so... fanx

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
No, stay 14 units if you can...:)
4u english isn't so much hard work, it's just continuous work. You get the one assessment over the whole year and the opportunity to study for other stuff in class...:p

"Look, check the Uni guides, some degrees you might want in the sciences require two science subjects in school. Physics will help you with some parrticular areeas of maths...:D Chemistry, well... is chemistry.
Explanations, experiments... Frankly I don't know what's left after they cut out lots of stuff in both of these. Someone else will have to tell you."
"Okay... both used to be lots of explaining BUT they have a fair maths component. As always physics will require harder maths. Not necessarily more, but just comparatively harder."
"I'd give you my site, but it'sgot nothing to do with what we're talking about here."
"Hmm... that's it."

sixfingers

you should make sure, firstly, that you are covering the requirements for the uni course you want to do.

Doing a major work is no big issue if you are only doing one.
It's definately a good thing that you are doing well at english if you want to do 4U but it's just as important that you are passionate about it, rather than talented. Of course if you have talent it will be easier but if you can see the major work as a chance to create the english piece that you have always wanted to create you will have no problem staying motivated and will love the course. But I know a few people who couldn't keep up both 4U eng and maths.

And if you do do 4U eng think carefully about staring early. It is possible to do the whole thing in the last month, or the last week as a friend of mine did, but it hurts a lot less if you don't.

Also find out where a 24 hour binding place is near you so you can get it bound at 3:00 the morning before.

mraverage

Mmmm in reply to BlackJack and six fingers, did i mention i have a remote chance of going for medicine? im more interested in business but if i can link both medicine and business...

i heard medicine recommends but does not absolutely need physics or chem...

with 4 english, i am interersted simply because i enjoy it but im a bit afraid that it, combined wif 4 maths and my other demanding courses will be a bit too much

fanx for your prompt reply btw

sixfingers

ok the thing is 4U is a great chance to enjoy yourself but if you need marks, which you will for med, year 12 comes down to getting those marks, not enjoying yourself. I found that in some cases the gap between the top and average people in my year narrowed as the top people took on many units and sometimes more than one major work and the average people coped better just with 10 units.

But if you can do well at 4U then it might propell you towards med.
Basically if your smart and interested, which you sound like you are, you shouldn't have a problem doing what you want. And you can always drop which a lot of people did even very late in the year.

HSC
Everything I wanted to say has been pretty much said...

I found 4 unit thoroughly enjoyable probably one of my favourite subjects. I didn't have to go to class, the assessments were pretty easy and no stressful exams. But I didn't enjoy it when I had to do both an Art and English Extension 2 major work, if you have more than one major work, I recommend you finish the english one before third term starts or during the holidays. Nothing sux worse than 2 major works and the trials happening at the same time...

You should do it because its enjoyable, relatively easy, interesting, a rest from the science/math based subjects, and because it scales like crazy (well not as crazy as 4 Unit, but enough to make me happy).

I found it easier than English Advanced and English Extension 1 (which isn't that bad either).

mraverage

mmmm, wif the scaling of 4 english, on that standards thingy based on where subjects are ranked realative to a score of 25 out of 50, what is english 4 unit? i cant seem to find the info again at the BoS site even though i saw it last time

also, ive been reading how many 4 unit english students find the major work 'relatively easy'. now... what does this mean? im sure 4 unit wasnt created to be easy so could someone plz explain?? i mean is it easy because u dont have tests and assignments? or is it easy because u have a free reign on what u wanna do?

also ive heard the qualituy of work is outstanding... does making a video get u more marks then simply writing a research essay?
what are the examiners looking for to distinguish the top from the fairly good?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)