Poem for creative writing (1 Viewer)

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
If it ok to have a poem for creative writing? I have two backup plans. I alredy have a story which is dodgy, and a really good poem which I wanna use. Are poems an ok format for creative writing?

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
No. Don't write a poem. If they leave the form wide open, they will usually say "except poetry" or something like that. My teacher said that's because even the greatest poets in the world cannot write a good poem within 40 minutes. So, no don't do it. Go with your dodgy story (I don't even have one yet...).

xx__savannah

HSC
Haha, this is exactly the same as my situation. I changed my dodgy story into a free verse non rhyming poem, and everyone loves it that way so much more. It's easier to remember too, and it conveys a journey much better in my opinion.
I just hope I'll be able to use it, or at least I'll be able to use it as a mind-jogging thingy.

cerpin taxt

HSC
*Ninny-mole* said:
No. Don't write a poem. If they leave the form wide open, they will usually say "except poetry" or something like that. My teacher said that's because even the greatest poets in the world cannot write a good poem within 40 minutes. So, no don't do it. Go with your dodgy story (I don't even have one yet...).
ahaha what bullshit

i happen to be a great poet and i happen to write brilliance in 40 minutes

moral of the story: do it

cerpin taxt

HSC
what finishing school haven't you finished from?

your text has nothing to do with your creative writing part

berra

HSC
yes i know it doesnt, but that dusnt matter. the exam is about testing ur ability in different areas, and they dont want people to just focus on poetry.... not my fault if ur teachers havent taught u

xx__savannah

HSC
But different markers mark different sections, and they won't be able to compare your section 2 to your section 3.

And following your logic, I studied 'My Place' so I can't write an autobiographical story or recount?

Armic

HSC
You could incorporate a poem into a different text type, to create a small break in structure or even play around with the structure of a short story to mimic a poem. But there probably is too much to remember or too little to write for it to be exclusively a poem.

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
Poetry is very acceptable for the creative writing section I don't know what some other people here are saying.

BUT!! You must realise that when you write a poem for the creative writing section it will not be simply marked by one marker like a normal poem would be. There will be lots of discussion within the marking centre as to obtain your meaning about the journey etc etc and just for interests sake.

The danger is, because there will be marker discussion, your response will either be loved or hated. And many of the students writing poems fell flat on their face in the past years (according to my teachers anyway)... but there was one in the high range sample booklet.

so.. unless you are a GOOD or GREAT or AMAZING poet (and I mean that by the fact that your teachers bow at your feet and go into a frenzy when they read your poetry works) then I suggest trying to do a simpler form.

Dr_Doom

HSC
I rang up the advice line last night and asked if we were allowed to do poetry in the creative writing. He immediately said 'NO!", and left it at that...

berra

HSC
Dr_Doom said:
I rang up the advice line last night and asked if we were allowed to do poetry in the creative writing. He immediately said 'NO!", and left it at that...

there u go people.... i ain't bullshiting

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
^ I wouldn't be surprised, but where'd you hear that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)