Poetic types (1 Viewer)

Serpentia

Given that there are some people here who write poetry, tell me where you're at.

Personally I am struggling at the moment with my concept - I am writing but my concept is too vague.

I have been writing, one poem was really well recieved, so that was cool. Perhaps we could post one of the poems we have written for critiquing or something...

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
i'm in the phase where my teacher and my mum just come up to me with random things and ask me if it makes me feel inspired. I've written like... three poems but its really hard to actually sit down and get the ideas on paper. At knox there was a girl who had written like... 24 poems or something. I think half the room was just in shock.

Serpentia

But it's not about the amount of poems you've written, it's whether you can actually use them or not.

I have exactly that problem, I have written tonnes of poems, but can hardly use any of them

KarmaKitten

HSC
I've written 11 poems, all of which I plan to use in my collection. I will write about another 3 and i will have a word amount of about 3200 then.
I am VERY happy at the progress of my work so far. I think im lucky cause i have had my concept even before I started the course

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i can write poems, but not to get marked if that makes sense.
my poems are really personal n teachers would think i was writing from my heart not my mind coz i am, but

Serpentia

Originally posted by KarmaKitten
I've written 11 poems, all of which I plan to use in my collection. I will write about another 3 and i will have a word amount of about 3200 then.
I am VERY happy at the progress of my work so far. I think im lucky cause i have had my concept even before I started the course
you have no idea how jealous I am of you

Actually what is the word count?

Is it 5000 including reflection statement?

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by Serpentia
you have no idea how jealous I am of you

Actually what is the word count?

Is it 5000 including reflection statement?
yes its 5000 including the reflection statement. hehe, lots of people are jealous about my progress so far. I think my Viva Voce went quite well just because of the amount of work I did, the teachers were incredibly impressed
fingers crossed!

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
hahahahaha - i asked pretty much the same question in the other poetry thread!!

I've written TONNES of poems (i write poetry regularly anyway - so some times i just use some of my personal ones...)

BUT -
i just changed my idea............for the second time.....so i'm not using any of them......the original idea i had, i thought up b4 i took the course....

I decided I was going to do Ext 2 as soon as i saw it was offered in the HSC - which was way back in the end of yr ten.....(back in the day....)

I can't believe u guys have already done ur Vivas! My teacher decided to give us ALL holidays to think about keeping the course.....and our concepts/ideas.......instead of telling us to get started......our proposals were only due - not long ago!!

but yeah anyway - what r ppl's topics?
:D

anyone else annoyed with working out word limits??

dramaticfanatic

With my poetry, I'm linking all of them together under a common theme, but im writing each one with a different style I've researched. I've looked at different poets styles and also researched into my inspiration and subject matter. At this stage I've written two of my poems, however I spent a lot of time researching. My topic I chose is significant moments/ rites of passage in my own life that have changed the direction of my life, and I'm using styles such as sonnets, free verse, children's poetry and looking into techniques of poets such Yeats and Ted Hughes.

Last edited:

SeNioRiTa

i was at the knox seminar in poetry aswell, and i remember some girl writing like 24 poems....actually u might have heard me go "oh sh*t" when she said it.
iv only written like 5...it sux cos u cant just sit there and force urself to write..u need inspiration. im solely focusing on my major work in these holz..hopefully i get most of it done

good luck to everyone else

ps....itd b real sweet to hear any of your guyz' themes or main subject ur basing ur suede on
pps dont worry im not nickin ideas...its just nice 2 hear wat other people r doing
ppps sum guy in the seminar was doin "sex n death"..how does that work? lol

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
i'm doing about 20 poems in total, all different branches of one theme, yet falling into "sub-chapters", which then relate back to the theme......................(did i explain that right?)....

anyway yeah...:rolleyes:

Serpentia

20 poems, dear me that is quite a lot.

I think I have changed my entire idea for my major work, my original theme doesn't seem to fit what I have been writing. I am pretty confident in my skills in writing, but unfortunately that isn't enough, I need to have a strong link and theme going, which at present, is not happening.

Fire Sprite

im basically writing 14 poems in free verse...is all i can do... i cant force a style onto my work...but then again im doubting my poetic ability completely! :(

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
Originally posted by Fire Sprite
im basically writing 14 poems in free verse...is all i can do... i cant force a style onto my work...but then again im doubting my poetic ability completely! :(

I'm doing 20 poems in a mixture of styles....

It'd be harder to force a style onto your work if your doing a theme that's very personal to you...if you detach yourself to an extent then you may be more open to different styles that could improve the asthetic nature of your work

- i'm not saying that you shouldn't stick to all free verse - free verse rocks - but if you experiment with different styles of presenting your theme, it can in some cases enhance the meaning...like for example if you were writing a poem about an object and rendered the poetry in the shape of that object....

It may also earn you more marks...if you indicate that free verse is you comfort zone and the examiners see that you have pushed yourself as a writer by stepping outside ur square (so to speak).......

everyone doubts their poetic ability at times! keep ya head up - you wouldn't have picked poetry if you didn't think you could do it......

:)

*Gizmo*

HSC
Originally posted by Fire_Hydra
but if you experiment with different styles of presenting your theme, it can in some cases enhance the meaning...like for example if you were writing a poem about an object and rendered the poetry in the shape of that object....

:)
hmm i never thought seriously about doing that....i always had it in my mind but i related it to more childish poems- so you dont think the markers would view it like that?

Fire Sprite

yeah i've experimented with visual structure, not to the extent you suggested but its in there, in my Viva we seemed to conclude that id used techniques subtly to convey the theme of each particular poem.
But yeah.. Serpentia said it all...i dont want to fall into the trap of forcing rhyme or style. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)