• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Points of Belonging in 1984 by George Orwell (1 Viewer)

NooduHut

HSC
Can anyone show me the concepts of belonging found in 1984 by George Orwell? I don't have the time to read this book but I have looked at summaries on various websites. So far I have found that the aspect of relationships can be seen between Winston and Julia as they try to oppose the state. Also there is belonging to the state due to its dominating power. There is also individualism and not belonging to the state, because Winston and Julia are opposing it. I need this by Saturday :/

Thank you for your time.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's a quick read, is this for a HSC assessment? A related text?

When I'm not typing on my phone, I will try and pull some aspects out for you...but the biggie of the novel is conformity due to the totalitarian state (think Party uniforms etc.)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
As if you could not read this novel by Saturday. It's a good book, why not read it you could easily do it in a day.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I strongly recommend you read the book, surely it couldn't take more than a few hours?

Also, from this you should be able to draw some superficial belonging insights out: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/1984/

Some other hints, but I won't do your English work entirely for you.
*Examine the technology in the book, how this contributes to the conformity of their society.
*Newspeak is definitely a powerful symbol for belonging, think unity of thoughts etc.
*The Party structure with the uniforms, physical jerks...also how higher party members abuse the system to get perks like rations.
*Memory is a powerful of belonging explored in the book; think doublethink and the snow globe as WInston's attempts to bridge a sense of belonging of the past.
Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
*Talk about proles
*war is peace
freedom is slavery
ignorance is strength
Mull on that.
*2+2=5 is pretty significant, also the Room where he is sent at the end.

haven't read the novel in two years, but there's powerful things in it, trust me. At least do yourself the service of reading some chapters yourself?

NooduHut

HSC
As if you could not read this novel by Saturday. It's a good book, why not read it you could easily do it in a day.
I have to focus on other subject especially extension 2 maths which is a pain :/

NooduHut

HSC
Well I strongly recommend you read the book, surely it couldn't take more than a few hours?

Also, from this you should be able to draw some superficial belonging insights out: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/1984/

Some other hints, but I won't do your English work entirely for you.
*Examine the technology in the book, how this contributes to the conformity of their society.
*Newspeak is definitely a powerful symbol for belonging, think unity of thoughts etc.
*The Party structure with the uniforms, physical jerks...also how higher party members abuse the system to get perks like rations.
*Memory is a powerful of belonging explored in the book; think doublethink and the snow globe as WInston's attempts to bridge a sense of belonging of the past.
Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
*Talk about proles
*war is peace
freedom is slavery
ignorance is strength
Mull on that.
*2+2=5 is pretty significant, also the Room where he is sent at the end.

haven't read the novel in two years, but there's powerful things in it, trust me. At least do yourself the service of reading some chapters yourself?
Thanks again for your help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)