Political Revolution in Rome 133bc-78bc (1 Viewer)

khoshgelleh

Hey guys

i have browsed through the history forum , and have not found any threads on the period in Politcal revolution period of rome for 133bc-78bc....
So i though i should start one... and if people could add notes etc im sure it will be helpful to those of us stduying it..

i was just doin an essay on the Social Wars and was wondering if anyone new what the ocnsequences were for rome and italy???

i know that 10 new tribes were formed etc .. but does anyone know especific consequences for rome and italy

THNKs

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If thats all that your teacher or you have gotten from that period, then I seriously pray for your hsc.

I have already typed out a small timeline here.

khoshgelleh

lol......... thanks for the prayers.

But we actually have a really great teacher , its just that i was away a few lessons during the last topic ( marius and Sulla) and i am finding it difficult to find the answers to some especific questions.

for example : what were the consequences of the social war on italy and rome.
( beside the fact that 10 new tribes are formed for the allies)

i havent been able to contact my teacheras it is holidays ............ so i figured if i posted something maybe , other peoples note would be helpful.

And i have already seen your timeleine wheni was reading other threads............ its really good :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The Allies got 'some' sort of citizenship, and some recognition by Rome as its brothers, an honour they had previously not enjoyed.

If you can, go have a quick read of Scullard, and Appian's Civil Wars and Plutarch's Makers of Rome.

That should fill you in on the Marius and Sulla thing (which is imperative).

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re the "Roman Revolution"

Be strong in your knowledge of the Gracchan reforms and the outcomes as a result of the Gracchan attempts at what was considered "revolutionary" conduct.
Understand the role and potential of the office of tribune at this time and beyond.
This was a period of great political and military ferment in Rome and the empire; it led to the emergence of figures such as Marius, Sulla, Saturninus, Glaucia, Cinna and ultimately to Pompey and Caesar. It was marked by civil war, the Social War, provincial problems, slave revolts (Spartacus), great violence and disorder et al. The emergence of powerful generals who led client armies (thanks to Marius) created a new element in republican affairs. It is a miracle that the republic survived through much of this time!! And, of course, the civil war between Pompey and Caesar, then the ascendance of Octavian(Augustus) finished it off eventually!

Scullard, Gracchi to Nero is very helpful, and if you can get your hands on Lintott's text on violence in the Roman Republic, even better! Also, Syme's Roman Revolution and Gruen's Last Generation of the Roman Republic are two varying perspectives on this period and are worth a look.

I hope this helps. I have several pieces I have written on this topic that I could email to you if you give me an address to send it to.

Magister :)

khoshgelleh

Thanks for you help...
I am pretty sound on the gracchi ( our teacher in pro gracchan so we know alllll about them).
I will take you up on the offer of emailing me your pieces in this topic..... if thats ok?

my email address is
khoshgelleh@hotmail.com

thanks again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)