Political Science students: Which Uni is better: Syd or Maquarie (1 Viewer)

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, I am debating whether I want to go to Syd or Mq and am interested in knowing which has the better courses on political studies. I'm more interested in political theory such as the writings of Jean-Jacques Rousseau or Karl Marx, rather than the actual practice of Australian politics. Anyone had any experience doing courses on political science at either universities?

Thanks.

S

Slide

Hey, I am debating whether I want to go to Syd or Mq and am interested in knowing which has the better courses on political studies. I'm more interested in political theory such as the writings of Jean-Jacques Rousseau or Karl Marx, rather than the actual practice of Australian politics. Anyone had any experience doing courses on political science at either universities?

Thanks.
consider doing political economy

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sydney. (Answers both your questions - which uni is better, and which uni offers ECOP).

I myself wasn't the biggest fan of ECOP, but I do understand its relevance and appeal. Just wasn't for me.

At USyd, there are some courses that are essentially what you're looking for, such as GOVT2991 - Political Analysis, where we study the various thoughts of politics - behaviouralism, Marxism, institutionalism, focusing on ontology and epistemology.

In first year, you can learn World Politics or Geopolitics, which focuses on theories such as liberalism, realism, critical-realism etc.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Sydney has been doing it the longest, and they didn't get their prestige for nothing.

Atlas

HSC
N/A

Thanks.
Macquarie offers a major in politics with the Bachelor of Arts and from what you say, you seem to be more interested in political theory (you can find out more about the political theory units here: http://www.pol.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/undergraduate-units.html). You other option is to do a Bachelor of Social Science which will also let you pick politics units (http://www.pol.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/undergraduate.html)

If you are more interested in the theoretical aspects rather than the actual practice - just wondering whether you would consider doing a major in philosophy?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Macquarie offers a major in politics with the Bachelor of Arts and from what you say, you seem to be more interested in political theory (you can find out more about the political theory units here: http://www.pol.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/undergraduate-units.html). You other option is to do a Bachelor of Social Science which will also let you pick politics units (http://www.pol.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/undergraduate.html)

If you are more interested in the theoretical aspects rather than the actual practice - just wondering whether you would consider doing a major in philosophy?
That's a good suggestion - I would recommend you consider doing Philosophy, in addition to Politics/Government. You can do a major in one and a minor in the other.

Fake-Name

HSC
Philosophy is a good idea and that Australian politics at Mq looks pretty awesome.

Might be a stupid question, but can you only do one major?

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Philosophy is a good idea and that Australian politics at Mq looks pretty awesome.

Double majors are possible, and you can consider minors - it all depends on how many units you do - e.g. how much time you want to spend or money you want to pay/owe

Atlas

HSC
N/A

Just thought I might add - you can either do a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Social Science and do a major in politics and/or philosophy (info on philosophy major here: http://www.phil.mq.edu.au/students/undergraduate/badegrees.html)

Benefit of these options is that you can pick other electives as well, and if you do want to change, the degree is flexible.

Have you considered going on exchange?

Politic

HSC
N/A
Just thought I might add - you can either do a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Social Science and do a major in politics and/or philosophy (info on philosophy major here: http://www.phil.mq.edu.au/students/undergraduate/badegrees.html)

Benefit of these options is that you can pick other electives as well, and if you do want to change, the degree is flexible.

Have you considered going on exchange?
I know this isn't my thread but I have considered a BA @ MAQ as well as exchange. Can I whether a minor in a language is enough to go on exchange @ MAQ? Also you mentioned the flexibility of the degree..... when do you have to definitively decide what major(s) you do during the 3 years? Thanks.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I know this isn't my thread but I have considered a BA @ MAQ as well as exchange. Can I whether a minor in a language is enough to go on exchange @ MAQ? Also you mentioned the flexibility of the degree..... when do you have to definitively decide what major(s) you do during the 3 years? Thanks.
No worries, just jump into any thread, that's what a forum is for.

Deciding majors - well, let's put it this way, the requirement for a major is 24 credit points (about 2 semesters' worth of units)... so as long as you complete this requirement then you can put that major on your degree. Some students then fall into the trap of not being able to decide on a major/stick with a major and keep swapping and changing until they find themselves at uni for longer than expected. So what I'm trying to say is, you can decide right from the beginning, or you can pretty much keep delaying your choice. Generally, students will spend their first year trying different units, but about your second year - you should pick a major. :)

Exchange: start here - http://www.international.mq.edu.au/goingabroad -> what types of programs are you looking for: short term exchange or internships or volunteering? (There are links to separate pages based on what you want) For the short term programs (look at the relevant pdf for requirements) most of them will require you to be studying a relevant language - generally a major, but I think you can apply if you have a good grade even if you are doing a minor (check with the contacts provided). For internships, they generally require it to be related to your degree program. Volunteering seems to have the least requirements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)