Poll: How would you prefer a textbook with solutions to be split? (1 Viewer)

How would you like a textbook that comes with solutions to be written?

• Option 1: Textbook and book of solutions are separate

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Option 2: Textbook is split into two parts, each part including its own set of solutions

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

aa180

HSC
Hi all,

I have a question for which I have included a poll for you to vote on below: Suppose that a textbook is to be written for the extension 2 new syllabus that is set to include very detailed solutions, such that the book would most likely become too big and heavy if everything was all compiled into a single book.

So you are left with two options of how you would like the book to be organized:

Option 1) The textbook without any solutions is made into its own book, and an accompanying book of solutions is made separate to that. Or
Option 2) The textbook is split into two parts - one with half the topics in it along with all the solutions to those topics in the same book, and the second one basically being the same but for the remaining topics.

So the question is, which option would you prefer, and why? Or does it not really matter? Please vote for your own personal preference.

HeroWise

HSC
Option 1 ftw.

And if Abas is writing it, im gona be the first one to buy it for me hsc

aa180

HSC
Option 1 ftw.

And if Abas is writing it, im gona be the first one to buy it for me hsc
Lol, how do you know my last name?

And so it wouldn't be an issue for you that in order to utilize and study from the textbook, you will always have to carry around two books at the same time instead of one (if you wanna be able to check your work)?
Cause I figured option 2 would mean that for whatever topic you're up to, you will always just have to carry around a single book cause the solutions are already included in it, then once those topics are finished, you can move on to the second book.

So do you still think option 1 is better?

HeroWise

HSC
so it wouldn't be an issue for you that in order to utilize and study from the tex
Yeah, its fine for me. But i think people will prefer a pdf copy if that is the case. Option 2 may lack in the overall content provided in the book. Since it is new course, I would love to get as many resources i can get my hands on.

aa180

HSC
Yeah, its fine for me. But i think people will prefer a pdf copy if that is the case. Option 2 may lack in the overall content provided in the book. Since it is new course, I would love to get as many resources i can get my hands on.
Hm, well is there a way I can provide a PDF copy which bars people from copying it to other devices or uploading it somewhere where people can download? Cause I have no idea how to do that.

HeroWise

HSC
Like what many pearson books do, They make the copy on an interactive site where people can see the book; That's one possible avenue.

aa180

HSC
Like what many pearson books do, They make the copy on an interactive site where people can see the book; That's one possible avenue.
Well I just don't have my own interactive website in order to do that though :L
Unless I can approach an existing site like that and they'll agree to include my book on there. Though I plan on self-publishing so I'm not sure how that'll work..

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
Option 1 sounds better. Make the solutions a 'teacher's resource' and price it high - every school will buy it, guaranteed, and some students will too. But more importantly, students won't look at the solutions at the drop of a pin, and thereby forego any thinking they may have had to do - which is kind of the point of doing 4u, tbh.

As for PDF copy of solutions - they will get pirated, regardless of what you do. Even the physical copy will get scanned, but it will take longer.

aa180

HSC
Option 1 sounds better. Make the solutions a 'teacher's resource' and price it high - every school will buy it, guaranteed, and some students will too. But more importantly, students won't look at the solutions at the drop of a pin, and thereby forego any thinking they may have had to do - which is kind of the point of doing 4u, tbh.

As for PDF copy of solutions - they will get pirated, regardless of what you do. Even the physical copy will get scanned, but it will take longer.
Thanks for your advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)