• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Polygamous marriages should be recognised: sheikh (1 Viewer)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Schroedinger said:
If only you were literate! Yeah mate, you're an atheist and I'm the fucking queen of sheba.
Fix'd and sigged.

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Here's a thought. Everything you have mentioned is a personal choice for the people involved. If consenting adults enter into polygamous relationships and they fail miserably, that is there problem. Why should we intervene and force them not to do it because we can foresee that it might cause problems for some people in some situations?
what about the impacts on the children born into these marriages? they had no choice in the matter. if it was just about consenting adults i wouldn't care as much, but i have concerns about the welfare of children in these relationships.

also, not EVERYTHING i mentioned impacts JUST the people in the relationship. personal effects can have a flow-on effect i.e. people with a lot of stress (which could easily be caused by a polygamous marriage) are more likely to snap. if we rule out all the personal costs i outlined (because, as you say, they chose that lifestyle and must live with the consequences) there are still social and economic costs, meaning that it impacts on society as a whole, and therefore we should intervene.

and i fail to see how the benefits of polygamy (not that i've seen any benefits outlined thus far, aside from 'multiple fucking holes' which is obviously only condoning polygyny and promoting gender inequality) outweigh the costs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)