Polynomial question....What the hell (1 Viewer)

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
1. For the polynomial, (a-4)x^7 + (2-3b)x^3 + (5c- 1), find the values of a, b and c if it is:

a.) Of degree 3
b.) Of degree 0
c.) Of degree 7 and monic
d.) The zero polynomial

I have no idea.

Last edited:

rama_v

HSC
Is that a 4 unit question? I do 3 unit and have never come across a question like that...

SeDaTeD

HSC
Where is your a? I'm guessing it should be in your first term. Recheck and put in values such that the coefficients of each x term become what you want.
It's a 2/3 unit standard. Just that something is mistyped. I'm guessing it should be, (x-a)^7 + (2-3b)x^3 + (5c- 1).

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
Where is your a? I'm guessing it should be in your first term. Recheck and put in values such that the coefficients of each x term become what you want.
It's a 2/3 unit standard. Just that something is mistyped. I'm guessing it should be, (x-a)^7 + (2-3b)x^3 + (5c- 1).

I fixed it.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
rama_v said:
Is that a 4 unit question? I do 3 unit and have never come across a question like that...
No it is 3unit.

FD3S-R

well for a) the polynomial is degree 3

therefore let a =4 so the x^7 cancels

work from there

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
zahid said:
1. For the polynomial, (a-4)x^7 + (2-3b)x^3 + (5c- 1), find the values of a, b and c if it is:

a.) Of degree 3
b.) Of degree 0
d.) The zero polynomial

I have no idea.
If it's as written, this question is all about making the coefficients zero...well, most of them. :p

a) Degree 3 means no terms higher than x^3 (that is, no x^4, x^5, x^6, x^7, etc.) So we want to kill the x^7 term -- the way to do that is to make the coefficient 0. So a-4=0 ==> a=4.

We want a polynomial of degree 3, so we must make sure that the coefficient of x^3 is not 0. So 2-3b != 0 ==> b != 2/3

c can be anything you like...it doesn't matter.

b) Similar idea -- kill both the x^7 and the x^3 terms. Note that there is often disagreement about what exactly constitutes a polynomial of degree zero. It definitely includes all polynomials which are just constants, but some regard 0 in that category, and some regard it as a class of its own. (I tend to regard it as a polynomial of degree zero, just like all the other constants.) If you include 0, then you don't care about c; if you don't include it, then you have to make c != 1/5. (Can you see why?)

c) Degree 7 -- you want the x^7 term in there. Monic -- look up your definitions again -- it means you want the leading coefficient (the coefficient of the highest order term) to be 1. So make the coefficient of x^7 equal to 1, and the others should be free variables.

d) The zero polynomial is exactly what it sounds like: 0 + 0x + 0x^2 + 0x^3 + 0x^4+... Kill all terms. :)

HTH.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
zahid said:

a.) Of degree 3
b.) Of degree 0
d.) The zero polynomial

I have no idea.
a) a = 4, b != 2/3
b) a = 4, b = 2/3, c != 1/5
c) a = 5
d) a = 4, b= 2/3, c = 1/5

EDIT: These values are for you to check your answers against. I am assuming you've read alpha's post.

Last edited:

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
thankx guys....great help...far out i hate this Cambridge book...too bloody confusing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)