Polynomials (1 Viewer)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
This is a polynomial question from a past paper, is there a non-calculus based approach for this particular question?

Ty

Drsoccerball

HSC
This is a polynomial question from a past paper, is there a non-calculus based approach for this particular question?

Ty
Yes the first question definitely requires calculus to find m and n since no other roots are given. However for part (ii) instead of doing long division a simple factorisation would do the job.
since now you know all the coefficients of tje polynomial (from i) compare coefficients and factorise.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I think he was asking if there is a non-calculus approach for part (i), since it's obvious you don't need it for part (ii).

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Hold on, is the factor theorem the same as the remainder theorem or no?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I think he was asking if there is a non-calculus approach for part (i), since it's obvious you don't need it for part (ii).
Yeah, I can't use calculus for the first part.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Well he could do the unintelligent thing and find the rest of the roots by multiplaction of roots and multiplication by 3's but its much longer than differentiation

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
It's a 2 mark qstn so I'm not going to sit there and use up all my time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)