Pompeii and Herculaneum Food Question (1 Viewer)

Cabrello

HSC
Seems people as a whole had problems with this question, I read somewhere some teachers just glazed over it.

Have your bitch about your teacher here or just write down what your wrote.

I just realised I called it a tabularium when it was actually a thermopolium...joy for me

HilaryLush

HSC
Cabrello said:
Seems people as a whole had problems with this question, I read somewhere some teachers just glazed over it.

I just realised I called it a tabularium when it was actually a thermopolium...joy for me
well at least you called it something, i was like ermmmm...food was ...cooked here...and stuff. I always knew i was gonna have trouble with this question though, wasn't my teacher's fault at all. I hate trying to extract stuff from the source, such bullshit

AngelznDemonz

HSC
When I read that question I was like I really should have finished that work in the library..it wasn't my teachers fault at all!

There was a bit of fudging in that question..lol

J e S s

HSC
yea i wouldn't say it was my teachers fault. i found it difficut but i just said what i could (wasn't really sure with the whole preparation thing) and i dont remember the question exactly but i think i worked something in there about bakeries and taverns etc n said they were also avaliable not just the food bars... had no idea lol.

X

xeuyrawp

I must say that I thought that question was quite bizarre. :/

butterflyxx

HSC
Cabrello said:

It has a name?

tiramisu25489

HSC
I initially thought "thermopolia?" and completely discarded that thought and just started going on about crap. That question owned me.

atreus

HSC
i think this was definitely the "trick" question.
i wrote that they prepared food over coals or a brazier. they ate stuff like bread- 30 bakeries in pompeii. fast food as well from thermopolia, and also snack bars like source 2. shops were at the front of houses and served as shopfronts.

dont know how they'll mark it.

also, did anyone mention anything other than "health" in the lady of oplontis question?

cos i wrote on health and the brothels idea from wallace-hadrill?

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
I am weird and last night I wished for a food question...
What did we get? A food question
Shame I didn't know anything about it but maybe if I had finished that source question, Oh wells, I"m happy with the exam :)

k8kate

Class of 06
HSC
gah now that i think about it my teacher told us about some cookbook from pompeii. dammit.

my response talked about
-volcanic stone mills foundin pompeii for grinding wheat to make bread
-importance of bakeries, however the bread was sold in a different place, carbonised bread found still in an oven
-the bar in the pic with clay pots for storing food
-production and exporting of garum
-the macellum or whatever its called off the forum where they grew food, and fields outside the city walls

how many points was it worth? thinking boutit now i knew alot more, the space was too small and i had a mind block.
is that suitable^
I didnt really talk about the selling.
or the production.
hahha.

dammit

dandel26

HSC
lol thermopolium..... my teachers like "yeah thats what its called" and my entire class goes "well thanks for teaching us that...." It's only 4 marks i think, meh i'm over it

p342i

HSC
Improvisation! I missed the idea of it being more of a distribtion bar and instead interpreted as a food preparation area. Talked about the firing of grain, wheat and millet for bread, how fish caught in the Bay of Naples was guttered, scaled and cut into fillets, whilst the fish oil was extracted and used in the world famous and still-existing "Pompeian Fish Dressing"
I said that population of cooks largely consisted of slaves who prepared the food at snack bars as demonstrated in the source.
In terms of distribution, I didnt so much stress the snack bar aspect, more its distibution in the Forum. The Macellum being the meat and fish market whilst the Cereals Market selling grain products.

It will ultimately come down to whether the markers allow for multiple interpretations of what the food bar could have been for; as either a food preparation area and/or a food distribution area. I guess thats the benefit of ancient history over modern.

BTW - did anyone notice how at the bottom of each station on the snack bar, there was a large smooth stone built into the table? It looked almost like a furnace!

gracerawl88

HSC
yeah i thought it was a bit dodge. raved on bout garum and what they like to eat n such. my friend sed after wards (who has been to pompeii) "yeah i thought bout syaing that ive sat on it but didnt think that'd get me extra marks, due to the whole conservation question further on"

undotwa

HSC
The question said "Using source x", so I interpreted that I was only meant to talk about what was represented within the source. So I didn't talk about anything else (like bakeries etc.). We didn't really study this in class either and so I just simply described features within the source, which suggested how food was prepared and sold i.e. food kept warm over the counter in pots for ready access by consumers. I couldn't remember any specific names, but I'm not sure whether this was strictly necessary as the question did not not imply that one ought to bring in one's own knowledge. I could be really wrong however.

lowek

HSC
yeah that question was very off putting!! All I remember from food is my teacehr talking about bread so I very casually wrote about how food SUCH as bread may be .. etcetetc. I honestly had no clue what it was!!

kranqualizer

HSC
omgg... zero for me! sh!!!TTttt

ditto to thread #15... i only talked about that food bar~~~

damnnn tricky misleading questions..

nikturner

HSC
i did the same as you i talked bout what you could see in the source and i compleatly forgot everything else but i think ill get a few marks out of it atleast

hwall

HSC
Ahh this question was bad....
I have never heard of a Thermopolium. Do you think they wanted it to be that specific. I mean it didn't ask what it was but just how the food was prepared and stored!

hwall

HSC
Ahh this question was bad....
I have never heard of a Thermopolium. Do you think they wanted it to be that specific. I mean it didn't ask what it was but just how the food was prepared and stored!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)