Pompeii Quotes (1 Viewer)

Durzan

HSC
I find I can never find relevant quotes on Pompeii so I though why don't we post up quotes we find so they are easier to find.

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
use a combination of quotes and descriptions of archaeological findings in ur answers. like if u wanted 2 talk about the various economic industries in pompeii and herculaneum u could write about the bakeries that were found, the millstones that were used for grinding wheat, the wine and storage jars that were found in taverns etc.

my teacher told us that u get good marks if u make reference to the archaeological sources that were found in p & h as well as using quotes. (e.g. graffiti, wall paintings, statues, human remains etc) u'll find a lot of really good quotes from pliny the elder/younger as well as chucking in some latin words (e.g. pater postestas: power. paterfamilias: family)

heres some.
  • [Pliny the Elder, re. wall writings] Scratched into surfaces of walls, 'using stylus, iron nail, wooden splinter and toothpick.'
  • [Sign painted outside a tavern advertising wine] 'Come to the sign of the Bowls.'
  • [Graffiti demonstrating the significance wine had in the Pompeians' lives] 'Suavis demands full wine jars please, and his thirst is enormous.'

Wilsmore

HSC
Here are a view quotes that I hope are useful:

Pliny the Younger- description of events regarding Vesuvius' eruption; "...with towels they fixed pillows to their heads, as protection against the falling stones..."

Seneca (roman writer) - description of earthquake of AD 62.

Cicero- description of Pompeii prior to Vesuvius' eruption; "...delightful, most desirable place..."

Marcel Brion- description of events after Vesuvius's devastation; "It is disturbing sight, to encounter these bodies tormented with suffering, anguish and fear, and petrified by suffocation in their appalling postures..."

Also, get quotes from the Archaeologists that excavated the sites i.e August Mau, Giuseppe Fiorelli etc.

PimpMyNoob

HSC
Good questions mitch - i like this place people are helpful :santa:

goliwog

HSC
here are some random quotes I have found from all over the globe ....

A Wallace Hadrill “It [Pompeii] is at once the most studied and the least understood of sites. Universally familiar, its excavation and scholarship prove a nightmare of omissions and disasters.”

Pliny the youngerThe ninth day before the Kalends of September [24th august] in the early afternoon my mother drew his attention to a cloud of unusual size...its general appearance can best be expressed as being like a pine”

Pliny the younger “Medicine is the only profession by Jove, where any man off the street gains our immediate trust if he professes to be a doctor”

Vitruvius The rooms into which no one has the right to enter uninvited are considered private rooms, such as bedrooms, dining rooms, bathrooms and other rooms which have similar functions. However , the common rooms are those into which people , even uninvited , can by right enter , such as vestibula , courtyards, peristyles”

Wilhelmina Jashemski
“They lived in their gardens , they ate in them , they made them a major part of their lives”

Juvenal
“First of all remember this:when you are invited to dinner you are being repaid in full for all your earlier services” (this one is in referance to the patron client system)

Random graffito on a bedroom wall " My host, Ive wet the bed. My sins I bare , but why ? you ask no pot was anywhere"

Time life , the vannished city pg 82 " In a typical ceremony, fennel crowned worshipers danced as a naked priest struck them with a serpant"

national geographic , The dead do tell tales at vesuvius pg 606"The vast number of timbers , however leads steffy to wonder whether , Herculaneum coul dhave been a ship building center"

hope that helps .. hehe when i say random I mean random lol

princesskt

HSC
goliwog said:
Random graffito on a bedroom wall " My host, Ive wet the bed. My sins I bare , but why ? you ask no pot was anywhere"
haha alot of graffiti is rather.. um.. random..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)