Port Arthur Killer Martin Bryant & the "Right To Die" (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
_dhj_ said:
I agree on the distinction between moral 'truths' and objective truth. However, I don't feel that it is a valid general proposition, from a purely objective and consequential perspective, that ignorance of the objective truth leads to negative outcomes. On the contrary, ignorance of the truth may be beneficial on aggregate (economics and psychology would enlighten us on that issue).
One other argument I would make is this:

Negative outcomes are a matter of value, and the argument I am making appeals primarily to those who see the punishment of those who are not responsible as wrong. According to such a belief we are regularly commiting immoral acts - in light of the our, supposedly, objective lack of free will. Whether the results are a 'net negative' relative to such a moral system depends, of course, upon whether it is principle based, consequentialist, rule utilitarian, etc.. etc... Nonetheless, I do agree that ignorance of the truth can be beneficial, though I don't know that I would ever endorse an atmosphere of ignorance.

Anyhow, thanks for the debate - it's been interesting (if there are any other points you want to bring up/clarify feel free). Phil/Med and Comm/law seem to provide some interestingly different perspectives.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
KFunk (and _dhj_ in this case), your discussions are really interesting and thought provoking. I wish I could contribute :p

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Thanks josie, I'm glad you could gain something from our back and forth ramblings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)