Portfolio Mgmt (1 Viewer)

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Dudes... does anyone know what is going to happen with Portfolio marks? Has anyone spoken to David?
I'm too chicken to talk to him ... how did you all find it? Are a lot people applying for special consideration?

ricenoodles

HSC
I remember sitting port last semester. Hated the subject and thought I failed it. Ended up just passing the course. Never again am I taking another course taken by Feldman or Yip.

sleepycat

the questions were HARD... esp the last 2 Questions with so many sub parts..

I hope I passed ports..

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
ricenoodles said:
I remember sitting port last semester. Hated the subject and thought I failed it. Ended up just passing the course. Never again am I taking another course taken by Feldman or Yip.
Yip's prett good i rckn.
Feldman, nah-uh!

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
What's so bad about this course, what did you guys get? Is it hard because the theory is difficult to understand, or is it because the assessments are not fair?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Hey im doing fins2624 next sem too.

btw, Maichi, what degree r u doing?

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Science degree, math/fins major, just finished 1st year.

Just doing some research now to avoid getting screwed like the 1st year.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
What's so bad about fins3616? Lots of essays, group work, presentations, regurgitation?

Don't think it's skip-able, it's not really prerequisite to anything but I think you have to do it to get the finance major, or did I misinterpret the guidelines for fins major?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
1. It has no maths :D

2. It's a bludge that can fit in any semester. Other FINS & MATH subjects are less flexible.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
No math?!? Oh no, the synergies of our major are gone there! :p

Acid said:
Can anyone whose done the course possibly email me their notes? That would be awesome!
Yeah that would be really nice, I want to see what the sample assessments are like, and lecture notes and homework if you got time, but otherwise just the sample exams. It would be nice if someone could post them up since they should be still all available on webct.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
MAICHI said:
What's so bad about this course, what did you guys get? Is it hard because the theory is difficult to understand, or is it because the assessments are not fair?
It's not difficult to understand. It's an interesting subject that is taught poorly. There are many things wrong with the course and it starts with David Feldman (the lecturer). Anyway it's a prereq you can't escape ... glad that's behind me

Shawny

lol in retrospect
i love feldman

somehow got 80% in the finals
i honestly thought i failed the finals

feldman's just got a wierd and unique way of teaching lets say, maybe thats how they teach things in israel.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Shawny said:
lol in retrospect
i love feldman

somehow got 80% in the finals
i honestly thought i failed the finals

feldman's just got a wierd and unique way of teaching lets say, maybe thats how they teach things in israel.
Maybe the exam was scaled?

What do you guys mean he doesn't teach properly? Because in first year, attendance to lectures for commerce subjects is really optional since whatever the lecturer says is just the lecture slides thats on webct. Is the lecture material very different to the exam?

Do guys have a sample exam that you can share with me?

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
MAICHI said:
Maybe the exam was scaled?

What do you guys mean he doesn't teach properly? Because in first year, attendance to lectures for commerce subjects is really optional since whatever the lecturer says is just the lecture slides thats on webct. Is the lecture material very different to the exam?

Do guys have a sample exam that you can share with me?
You get marked for attendance in the lectures and if you rely on his lecture notes purely you are going to fail. On the other hand if you rely purely on the textbook, you won't do well either. It is really important to understand what he's talking about.

No there is no sample exam since we weren't given one.

I Robot

HSC
Faculty of Banking and Finance recycle their exam questions (that's why they're pink in colour in the final exams) so students can't keep them.

Here is the external link for FINS2624 Semester 2 2005 Course Outline:
http://wwwdocs.fce.unsw.edu.au/banking/admin/ols/fins2624col20052.pdf

...and what's with A/Prof Feldman, since I'm doing it in Semester 2, 2006...is he like the MATH1151/1251 lecturer David Tacon- funny and hilarious, or ACTL1001 lecturer Sachi- sets difficult tests and lectures poorly...?

Last edited:

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Thanks for that I,Robot.

InfiniteQ said:
You get marked for attendance in the lectures and if you rely on his lecture notes purely you are going to fail. On the other hand if you rely purely on the textbook, you won't do well either. It is really important to understand what he's talking about.

No there is no sample exam since we weren't given one.
Are you serious about attendance getting marked at lectures? Is that even possible, there must be more than 100 people in the lecture room, it'll take 10 or 20 minutes just to mark the roll.

From what you said, it seems that this subject is very different to 1612&1613 and the other first year commerce subjects where lecture slides and tute homework is all you need.

What was the exam like, short answers or M/C? Is it problem solving and quantitative type questions?

Shawny

let me give u a question from our recent finals

and i shit u not this was the exact wording and question

"firm A is beautiful, firm B is ugly, recommend?"

i shit u not

as you can see, asthetic beauty of firms are a key feature of the port management.
obviously when someoen starts viewing firms as beautiful and ugly, u stop asking the questoin "so why did u end up getting a PHD in finace"

also finance is spelled and pronouced in a different way in feldman's world

proud to introduce the word 'PHI-NANCE"

and i shit u not once again tat this post isn't a joke, others can attest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)