Possible to balance work & uni? (1 Viewer)

_rakelt

HSC
Hello guys,

I'm keen to work and earn some $$ because I want to become less dependant on my parents. It sounds weird but I've never worked before or had experience venturing out for a long time especially during high school when my strict tiger parents were very restrictive. I went for a job interview for a retail pharmacy assistant and I have hopes to work there part-time.

Just worried about having a 8am-6pm shift in north ryde and then going to uts for a lecture at 7pm once a week on fridays by train (in terms of making it to classes on time)?

Do you think it's possible to balance work with uni? Or am I just overreacting?

Also worried about night classes at 7-8 pm? Sounds weird but I've never been out at that time by myself and ngl im scared im gonna get kidnapped or smth :(

Any thoughts?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
You can definitely balance work and uni. Most people do it. You might have to skip some lectures here and there or if your like me and don't attend lectures it won't make a difference. Either way everything is or should be online.

Also worried about night classes at 7-8 pm? Sounds weird but I've never been out at that time by myself and ngl im scared im gonna get kidnapped or smth :(
Any thoughts?
As for this yeah even I don't attend any late lectures. If you do go be aware and vigilant but there's no reason to be flat out scared. As long as you don't go into dodgy areas like dark isolated alleyways there's not really much to be scared of.

Carry a pen with you(in the unlikely event something does happen) because they are actually a really good tool for defense that no one thinks about.

_rakelt

HSC
You can definitely balance work and uni. Most people do it. You might have to skip some lectures here and there or if your like me and don't attend lectures it won't make a difference. Either way everything is or should be online.

As for this yeah even I don't attend any late lectures. If you do go be aware and vigilant but there's no reason to be flat out scared. As long as you don't go into dodgy areas like dark isolated alleyways there's not really much to be scared of.

Carry a pen with you because they are actually really good weapons if used correctly.

Yeah.. I originally didn't plan for night classes but my tax file number came in late and I was 2 days late in terms of enrolling + choosing my timetable so I got all the crappy times.

Thanks for the advice tho

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah.. I originally didn't plan for night classes but my tax file number came in late and I was 2 days late in terms of enrolling + choosing my timetable so I got all the crappy times.

Thanks for the advice tho
Stay aware of everyone around you at all times. I frequently look back and around myself whenever I'm at any unfamiliar location. Memorize all the nearest exits everywhere you go etc etc.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
You must also consider other classes such as practicals which often go for 3 hours and are compulsory, since part of your double degree is Medical Science. At UTS, practicals are either in the morning, afternoon, or evening, and since you'll be working from 8 to 6 you will be forced choose the evening class which go from 5 to 8. Can you make it to those classes? Of course these classes won't occur every day but you need to consider your time schedule and how your university timetable will be affected by your working hours.

_rakelt

HSC
You must also consider other classes such as practicals which often go for 3 hours and are compulsory, since part of your double degree is Medical Science. At UTS, practicals are either in the morning, afternoon, or evening, and since you'll be working from 8 to 6 you will be forced choose the evening class which go from 5 to 8. Can you make it to those classes? Of course these classes won't occur every day but you need to consider your time schedule and how your university timetable will be affected by your working hours.
I've already planned my lectures/pracs etc and uni schedules on mon, tues and wednesday. I'm only working part time on thurs & fri's (8am-6pm) but on fridays I have one lecture at 7 at night and thats the only worry for me.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I've already planned my lectures/pracs etc and uni schedules on mon, tues and wednesday. I'm only working part time on thurs & fri's (8am-6pm) but on fridays I have one lecture at 7 at night and thats the only worry for me.
In that case, you shouldn't worry because lectures are not compulsory and will be uploaded online as already mentioned above.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds pretty manageable to me. I wouldn't stress. It's good to balance things and you'll learn a lot of soft skills too along the way.

(on a side note, I balanced FT work and FT study somehow without missing any classes... but I had a very flexible employment arrangement which let me work remotely and on weekends)

_rakelt

HSC
Sounds pretty manageable to me. I wouldn't stress. It's good to balance things and you'll learn a lot of soft skills too along the way.

(on a side note, I balanced FT work and FT study somehow without missing any classes... but I had a very flexible employment arrangement which let me work remotely and on weekends)
Oh ok that sounds good to hear! Thankss

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hello guys,

I'm keen to work and earn some $$ because I want to become less dependant on my parents. It sounds weird but I've never worked before or had experience venturing out for a long time especially during high school when my strict tiger parents were very restrictive. I went for a job interview for a retail pharmacy assistant and I have hopes to work there part-time.

Just worried about having a 8am-6pm shift in north ryde and then going to uts for a lecture at 7pm once a week on fridays by train (in terms of making it to classes on time)?

Any thoughts?
Yep as others said working is definitely manageable. If you're really scared of travelling late at night then you could watch the lecture online. Usually travelling around 7-9 pm isn't that bad as there's still a lot of people on the train but it's probably more dangerous for girls in reality (sadly). Good luck with the job!

_rakelt

HSC
Yep as others said working is definitely manageable. If you're really scared of travelling late at night then you could watch the lecture online. Usually travelling around 7-9 pm isn't that bad as there's still a lot of people on the train but it's probably more dangerous for girls in reality (sadly). Good luck with the job!
OK! Thanks :)

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Wow. Coming back here my parents are actually forcing me to work part-time. "Get a job you lazy bum!" Did you end up getting the job after one month of the thread being open. Very unlike some parents to not support part-time work. I just think of it like chores but you actually get perks money references and most importantly experience. GL

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Wow. Coming back here my parents are actually forcing me to work part-time. "Get a job you lazy bum!" Did you end up getting the job after one month of the thread being open. Very unlike some parents to not support part-time work. I just think of it like chores but you actually get perks money references and most importantly experience. GL
Tbh I can see why, (usually Asian) some parents wouldn’t support it since they’d want their children to get as high marks as possible (in high school) but in uni yea I think supporting the job search is really important.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Tbh I can see why, (usually Asian) some parents wouldn’t support it since they’d want their children to get as high marks as possible (in high school) but in uni yea I think supporting the job search is really important.
My parents are asian, they just want the toilet paper and rice thats why I signed up at coles. Employee Benefits plus discounts when im
present.

My former school friend that referred me to coles is now the store manager at 21 and that is already ample money standalone. He was 18 when i started and just a casual at the time.

Marks wise if I don't do well, they say I can easily top if I drop to a lower course. Like how I can easily come 1st english standard if I do 💩 in adavanced. Or be in class with the (In year 11 rn). I just think of it like a hobby or like an extra curricular activity like how some people do debating and others can play sport like soccer and basketball outside of school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)