Possible to get into an Investment Bank with Pass or Credit Average? (1 Viewer)

dexst8r

HSC
N/A
has anyone got into or know anyone who got into an IB with pass or credit average and with realllly good extracurricular ?

ace

is retired
HSC
dexst8r said:
has anyone got into or know anyone who got into an IB with pass or credit average and with realllly good extracurricular ?
You can get in with anything, just make sure your good at bullshiting, presentations, ego sucking and flirting^ to a great extent.

Given you joined in Apr 2008, I'm guessing you just started University, do some more courses, apply to companies, try to get what you want, etc. One dip here or there isn't going to flatten your life forever*.

^assuming opposite sex / and not gay

*dip is assumed to be small. Failing everything or getting run over by a bus are examples of non-small dips

tempco

HSC
You better have a good reason why you have a pass/credit average.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
No, the IBs screen all online applications based on WAM as it's done by computer. They probably dont have the time to read thru the 1000s of applications, even if you have something "really good", eg achievement at a national or international level like world debating champion.

ace

is retired
HSC
§eraphim said:
No, the IBs screen all online applications based on WAM as it's done by computer. They probably dont have the time to read thru the 1000s of applications, even if you have something "really good", eg achievement at a national or international level like world debating champion.
Generally most companies I would presume do that to some extent. Why else would they get us to enter manually subject by subject our numbers into application forms.

Though most companies I've noticed want people in the moldable range of 62-78 in terms of WAM. Then they want to see if you can market yourself to them. (basically slut yourself out).

In all honestly, apply to all investment banks if your interested, you'll probably get a bite from somewhere. (When I say all, I mean all, not just 1 or 2, think 10, 20, 30 companies).

Loz_metalhead

HSC
§eraphim said:
What would you estimate the cut off WAM to be?

HSC
Loz_metalhead said:
What would you estimate the cut off WAM to be?

I'd say it would be atleast a high credit if not a low distinction.

Just have a look at the websites of different IBs or Seek...etc.

Some of them even require a minimum Distinction WAM.

ace

is retired
HSC
Laphonso-Ellis said:
I'd say it would be atleast a high credit if not a low distinction.

Just have a look at the websites of different IBs or Seek...etc.

Some of them even require a minimum Distinction WAM.
Most IB companies (even most companies) always ask for a minimum credit average. That is not to say, they will automatically reject you if you have a number under 65. Of course let's take this hypothethical situation. Candidate A and B scored equally fair on all the interview items, then the WAM might be the separator. (I know of many people who have high numbers, yet the candidates who were able to "talk the talk" got in, even with abysmal numbers). Of course it probably goes without saying, the higher your numbers are, at least the initial view through your resume from companies may be more favourable*.

*however this has not been proven or disproven, its just been assumed as a fact over time, by most of us

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Friend got interviews with low 70 wam from unsw.

You can liken the situation to getting into your uni course. Once your in uni, its not that hard to transfer, provided you put in some effort. Once you are in the industry, it is not that hard to transfer into an IB (depending on where you want to go, and the current state of markets).

On an unrelated note: Some of the companies im applying for vac work for, don't even ask for academic results!

Seraphim: Does LB take on summer interns?

HSC
I spoke to a whole bunch of IB reps at the meeting at that bbq around week 12 last semester, the bigger banks ie. westpac, macquarie etc. did require a credit average and higher marks, others like deutch bank and credit suise didn't focus too much on marks as much. but that good be bullshit talk, i can only tell you what the reps told me

frogpie01

HSC
I went to a cocktail evening held by JP Morgan last semester, and the VP of Equity Capital Market told me specifically that JP Morgan requires a Distinction average for internship/employment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)