Possible to re-do individual courses to improve UAI? (1 Viewer)

Carl Unger

HSC
I chose the wrong subject to begin with.

What all I want is a UAI of 50 and I don't think I can get that if I get 20-30% in maths so once the HSC is over I would like to change that course and do another course individually at TAFE. Does anybody know if this is possible? Thanks

erm

HSC

What all I want is a UAI of 50 and I don't think I can get that if I get 20-30% in maths so once the HSC is over I would like to change that course and do another course individually at TAFE. Does anybody know if this is possible? Thanks
fuck me

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
^ I know people with UAI's in the low 30's, etc at uni and yes people do get shit UAI's like that and get through uni, etc.

Yeah you can do this.

See UAC: Universities Admissions Centre (NSW & ACT) Universities Admissions Index
"Repeating courses

• You are considered to be repeating an HSC course if you:
  • repeat the same course or
  • study a different course in the same subject area, apart from an Extension course.
Within a five-year period there are no restrictions on the number of times you can repeat a course. If you repeat a course only the marks for the latest satisfactory attempt will be available for inclusion in the calculation of your UAI."

The new UAI contributing subject that you undertake pretty much takes place of poorest result that you have, provided you already have a min of 10 HSC units that go towards your UAI, etc.

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/
Also consider doing an HSC pathway if you want to attend university, etc.
https://www.tafensw.edu.au/tafeunicredit/

Carl Unger

HSC
erm said:
next time

Wooz said:
Yeah you can do this.

See UAC: Universities Admissions Centre (NSW & ACT) Universities Admissions Index
"Repeating courses

You are considered to be repeating an HSC course if you:
repeat the same course or
study a different course in the same subject area, apart from an Extension course.
Within a five-year period there are no restrictions on the number of times you can repeat a course. If you repeat a course only the marks for the latest satisfactory attempt will be available for inclusion in the calculation of your UAI."

The new UAI contributing subject that you undertake pretty much takes place of poorest result that you have, provided you already have a min of 10 HSC units that go towards your UAI, etc.
Sweet, thanks for the info but I'm wondering if it is possible in a different subject area? I don't want to do another maths type subject. Sorry my wording was poor, I shouldn't have said "re-do"

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
yes you can trust me its called pathways talk to your school, its a very simple and actually very common thing. Just timetable needs to work out right (unlike mine). any questions pm me =}

Carl Unger

HSC
Thank you, I asked my year advisor about pathways this morning. She said she wasn't sure if I could actually once the year is over and the HSC is complete, get rid off my maths result/subject and replace it with a different one. How is it working for you, how are you doing it?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Pathways just involves doing your HSC courses across more than one year.

You can't get rid of your maths mark, but if you do another course and get a higher scaled mark, it will count instead of your maths mark.

So you can still 'exclude' maths from your UAI calculation.

Anyone can do this, you just need your school to agree. Or you could consider taking an extra HSC course through TAFE.

Carl Unger

HSC
Good info! thanks
Would I still be sitting my exams for all the other subjects at the end of the year?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I didn't realise you were sitting the HSC this year - you might still be able to change courses now without having to do another course next year.

What are you currently taking?

Carl Unger

HSC
Stan Eng
Gen Maths
Ancient
IPT
Business Studies

So if I am to pick up another course it has to be 2 units.

Last edited:

duckcowhybrid

HSC
What, you can't get above 30% in General Maths? Tbh pay me $15/hour I'll teach you like the whole thing. Private lessons too. Also if you sucked at it so much why didn't you drop it instead of whatever else you dropped to take you to 10 Units. Sorry if I advertised tutoring or what that wasn't the point. Just get the syllabus and learn it using a textbook, dot point by dot point. You'll be fine.

Last edited:

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Stan Eng
Gen Maths
Ancient
IPT
Business Studies

If you pick up another course you must have completed the Preliminary component (Year 11).

Carl Unger

HSC
Yeah that's the case, but I thought that there were TVET courses which could be taken up in yr12 worth 2 units.

bettina44

HSC
you don't actually have to wait till the hsc is over to go to tafe. you can enrol and do a one year intensive course which covers year 11 and 12:) but enrollment was just last week so you might be a bit late:(

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Stan Eng
Gen Maths
Ancient
IPT
Business Studies

Hmm, BOSBOY is right, you would need to have done the corresponding preliminary course if you want to pick up a new HSC course.

You'd really be a lot better off just studying for maths. You only need an average mark to get the UAI you're after - you don't have to be a top achiever or even above average.

Remember that your final HSC marks are adjusted by the Board, so your previous school marks do not provide any indication whatsoever of what your HSC marks are likely to be.

Have you discussed this with your maths teacher?

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
I thought that there were TVET courses which could be taken up in yr12 worth 2 units.
Yes you can take up a VET course in Year 12 only, but you will have to complete 4 units in one year (240 indicative hours) in order to sit the optional exam for contribution to the UAI.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Many subjects offered at tafe are combined Prelim and HSC, so it doesn't matter if you completed year 11 previously for that subject or not. You just do 6hrs/week instead of 4.

edit: missed the previous post that stated this. lol oops

Last edited:

Carl Unger

HSC
Lazarus said:
You can't get rid of your maths mark, but if you do another course and get a higher scaled mark, it will count instead of your maths mark.
Sounds like a good idea. I am thinking of doing Modern History next year which is an area I can do well at and maybe I could negate the really bad maths score.

Lazarus said:
You'd really be a lot better off just studying for maths. You only need an average mark to get the UAI you're after - you don't have to be a top achiever or even above average.
Any idea of what the avg for General Maths was last year?

BOSBOY said:
Yes you can take up a VET course in Year 12 only, but you will have to complete 4 units in one year (240 indicative hours) in order to sit the optional exam for contribution to the UAI.
timobr0 said:
Many subjects offered at tafe are combined Prelim and HSC, so it doesn't matter if you completed year 11 previously for that subject or not. You just do 6hrs/week instead of 4.

edit: missed the previous post that stated this. lol oops
Would you recommend this? It sounds like a good solution, but I'm not sure I could convince the school.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Yeah your school can't forbid you from doing that. Obviously, however, you can't be in 2 places at the same time, so you need to be extremely lucky to find 6hrs/week plus travel time free in your school's timetable that suits tafe's timetable......

You should investigate OTEN (distance education). You wouldn't have this problem but I'm not 100% sure if they do or do not offer subjects intensively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)