Possible to work 2-3 days while studying Accounting/Law? (1 Viewer)

BringSexyBack

HSC
N/A
Hi pplz,

I have this problem and it's stressing me out about choosing between accounting or marketing major. Is it possible to work 2-3 days while majoring in accounting/law. Can you combine law pplz give me some advices thanks. To what I know:

accounting -> more job opp, also relates to law units in the later years but hard n time consuming.

marketing -> less job opp, doesn't relate to commercial or corporate law as much but easy, less time and good practice for law essays.

What's life like for accounting/law student? How many hours does it take to study+assignment a week? Is it possible to work 2-3 days as well?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Hi pplz,

I have this problem and it's stressing me out about choosing between accounting or marketing major. Is it possible to work 2-3 days while majoring in accounting/law. Can you combine law pplz give me some advices thanks. To what I know:

accounting -> more job opp, also relates to law units in the later years but hard n time consuming.

marketing -> less job opp, doesn't relate to commercial or corporate law as much but easy, less time and good practice for law essays.

What's life like for accounting/law student? How many hours does it take to study+assignment a week? Is it possible to work 2-3 days as well?
It is possible but will be very hard regardless of which major you choose. Even disregarding workload, you will struggle to timetable classes such that you can work three days a week. Is it possible to work less than that? One and a half or two days a week would be far more manageable.

rx34

HSC
It is possible but I wouldn't do it. Also there is a clear distinction between enough studying to get pass/credits or enough studying to get distinctions/HDs. It is best as the above poster said to work 1.5 days.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Plus, its much harder to work and study at the beginning, I would reduce the workload at least for the first semester or two and then see how you go. Personally I try to keep it down to 1-2 days per week but I am better at balancing it all now I am used to uni etc

avant

HSC
Plus, its much harder to work and study at the beginning, I would reduce the workload at least for the first semester or two and then see how you go. Personally I try to keep it down to 1-2 days per week but I am better at balancing it all now I am used to uni etc
in my penultimate and final years of my LLB i was working an average of about 22 hours per week and i managed ok. i think my limit was about 24 hours (3 days a week) with the other two crammed full of classes, quite tiring and i had little time for gym and other such roadwork, but i was able to get pretty good marks i.e. my academics weren't particularly affected. but that leaves you a very small amount of margin for error e.g. one sick spell or some family issues will screw up your semester

i did do one whole semester working 30 hours a week ($$$) and my marks dropped significantly

i know some people who work full-time and study full-time & i dono how they do it

mind you this semester i'm gonna finish off my BA and i plan on just working full-time haha, while enjoying the benefits of still technically being a fulltime student

dste6

HSC
Have you considered doing your degrees sequentially? For example doing your accounting degree and then graduate LLB or JD. I know that sequential degrees are not yet popular with school leavers (always in a hurry :D), but it can actually be a very good option. You would only be losing 1 or 2 semester, depending on whether your combined degree is 5 or 5.5 years. You might not lose any time at all if you choose to take an accelerated JD stream (2.5 years) down the line.

Even if you do lose a little time, it might be worth it to ensure that you have a good quality of life for the next 5 or so years, and produce good marks in your degrees while working. For instance, in my JD class, most of the people are actually working professionals doing near full-time hours.

Just an idea..

rx34

HSC
Hey dste6, I know what you mean. I have considered that but doing a combined degree is definitely more appealing to me. It's not just the time saved but I can't imagine doing 4 straight law subjects in a JD, or even 3 law subjects for that matter. Commerce subjects combined with law really breaks the ice.

But that being said, it's not easy to get into combined law. If I don't get in, it's a postgrad law at USyd for me.

dste6

HSC
Hey dste6, I know what you mean. I have considered that but doing a combined degree is definitely more appealing to me. It's not just the time saved but I can't imagine doing 4 straight law subjects in a JD, or even 3 law subjects for that matter. Commerce subjects combined with law really breaks the ice
Yeah that is a fair point. I can see the worth of breaking law subjects up with something different. I also concede that it might be easier doing 2 law + 2 comm than hitting 4 law subjects at once.

avant

HSC
if you do a combined degree save the hardest classes in law for last. Do them all at once, and straight (your other degree will be finished by now). reasons for saving everything till final year/final semester:
- if you do poorly, it won't matter as much because graduate applications will be over
- the deeper you are into your degree, the more adept you are at legal study and research
- you will be doing other law subs (electives) in your last year and electives tend to be easy

rx34

HSC
if you do a combined degree save the hardest classes in law for last. Do them all at once, and straight (your other degree will be finished by now). reasons for saving everything till final year/final semester:
- if you do poorly, it won't matter as much because graduate applications will be over
- the deeper you are into your degree, the more adept you are at legal study and research
- you will be doing other law subs (electives) in your last year and electives tend to be easy
hey there, thanks for the tips :)

mrbsting

HSC
Yes it can be done. You can even work 4-5 days a week, and study fulltime load if you can manage to get an evening timetable. It would also depend on the university offering lectures online. You can listen to all your lectures over the weekend, and do your prep and tute work then. Basically, you will have no social life. Law readings are very heavy, so I would recommend networking with other students so you can fill the gaps if you can't do all the reading (approx 50-100 pages per week, per subject). When you're working fulltime and you rock up to class, you won't take much in at all. So be prepared to be confused alot, and re-read things.

To start off with, I would recommend you take 2 subjects for the first semester. If you're getting HD's, then you can add another subject on. I would not recommend doing more than 2 subjects if you are working 5 days a week and only getting P's and the odd CR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)