Post grad courses (1 Viewer)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I know its way to early, but I was bored and I was thinking!

Whats the difference between doing an honours year and doing a master?

Do you need an above credit average to do honours? What about doing a master, do you need an above credit average, cause this new master looks interesting:
Tourism planning

If I do, I will definately need to pick up my marks, cause so far I'm sitting perfectly on a 4.5 after two semesters.

Thanks!

klh

HSC
through honours you can gain entry into a phd? MAster is seperated into coursework and research, coursework is like wha twe do now, study units to gain new knowledge about a particular area while researcxh is like honours, you are given a topic and a teacher to find out and write a thesis. well thats what i know of anyway.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
So masters is like another degree over the degree that you already have? And honours is this huge research thingo. You say its competitive, what if theres not a huge number of people wanting to do honours, would that mean the GPA would decrease? Meh, I should stop planning so far into the future and finish second year first :)

X

xeuyrawp

Cape said:
So masters is like another degree over the degree that you already have? And honours is this huge research thingo. You say its competitive, what if theres not a huge number of people wanting to do honours, would that mean the GPA would decrease? Meh, I should stop planning so far into the future and finish second year first :)
Honours is really another year extended onto your Bachelors degree.

Masters is a totally separate degree.

Both can comprise of research, coursework, and seminars. Generally in humanities, honours is a year comprising of a thesis, a few seminars, and a thesis presentation.

I doubt there would be much fluctuation with people wanting/not wanting to do honours, so a GPA decrease is a moot point. Remembering that a good word from your tutors and lecturers will pretty much take its place as a GPA requirement, so it's not totally static, ie you get 2.49 instead of 2.5 and get rejected, doesn't happen like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)